Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 11:02:05 AM EDT
I have been a Canon SLR owner for over forty years.  Loved to shoot film an resisted making the move to digital until film selection and developing became a hassle.  
I waited to make the move unto autofocus until my vision forced me to do so.  Anyone familiar with these excellent cameras and lenses know that beside the cost, the other price you pay for carrying this equipment is "weight."  At a younger age I was ok with carrying a camera backpack with thirtyfive pounds of equipment on the way to a glacier toe and beyond.

But now at age sixty-five I am looking to reduce the burden since once again circumstances are forcing me to accept yet another change.

So, my question to this savvy community (which I often troll) deals with the Fujifilm X-t1 mirrorless camera.

If you own one, what is your impression of the product.  Does its' electronic functions work as advertised or is it quirky at times? Does the view finder correctly translate the final jpeg?

There are too many questions to ask, so if you have one could you please post your pro/cons opinions of this camera.

Thanks ahead of time for any info provided.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Great camera, great deals now that the Fuji X-T2 will be coming out. I have had the X-T1 for over a year and love it. Use to be a Nikon guy, but those DSLR's just got too big and heavy. (In same age group as you). There is nothing that I can think of that detracts from the X-T1. The viewfinder is terrific and can be set up many different ways to ones preferences. Size and lens availability  leave nothing missing or to be desired. Fuji glass is at the top of any manunfacturer comparison for quality, sharpness, contrast, weight and cost. Every camera has it SOP for operation. I had no trouble changing from Nikon DSLR to the Fuji X-T1. In fact, I started with Fuji X-100 and upgraded to the X-Pro-1, then to the X-T1 because it has the features and operations that my Nikon film and digital cameras had. A huge plus with the FujiX  series is that Fuji has software upgrades for free that are a result of listening to their customers. They have improved many features including AF which is super fast and accurate now. Nikon and Canon doesn't do software upgrades like Fuji does. Fuji even upgrades lens functions with software updates. I will never go back to a DSLR again. Sold all my Nikon stuff and downsized. Haven't regretted anything about leaving Nikon for the Fuji X series.

Another, smaller version of the X-T1 you might look at would be the excellent Fuji X-T10. You might want to check it out since it has many of the X-T1's feature w/o the cost. I also have that camera. Smaller, lighter, doesn't have the same electronic viewfinder of the X-T1, but is missing nothing as far as features and image quality.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that writeup, a little more research before I go back to smaller and lighter

]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have been a Canon SLR owner for over forty years.  Loved to shoot film an resisted making the move to digital until film selection and developing became a hassle.  
I waited to make the move unto autofocus until my vision forced me to do so.  Anyone familiar with these excellent cameras and lenses know that beside the cost, the other price you pay for carrying this equipment is "weight."  At a younger age I was ok with carrying a camera backpack with thirtyfive pounds of equipment on the way to a glacier toe and beyond.

But now at age sixty-five I am looking to reduce the burden since once again circumstances are forcing me to accept yet another change.

So, my question to this savvy community (which I often troll) deals with the Fujifilm X-t1 mirrorless camera.

If you own one, what is your impression of the product.  Does its' electronic functions work as advertised or is it quirky at times? Does the view finder correctly translate the final jpeg?

There are too many questions to ask, so if you have one could you please post your pro/cons opinions of this camera.

Thanks ahead of time for any info provided.

View Quote

Have you considered the sony mirrorless options?

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:44:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I found the X-T1 to be a fun camera to use, good IQ, and as
self-described OVF snob I found the EVF to work well with my eyes.  The 23mm eyepoint and large view port make it a good viewfinder for those who wear glasses.

Fuji
also does firmware updates adding new or
improved features, sometimes well past the period of time other
manufacturers would have stopped simple bug fixes.

Fuji glass is very good, and they are extending their lens lineup.  Adapting lenses is relatively painless, and I found m-mount glass to be a joy to use with the X-T1 (and X-Pro1).

Only problem
is that the X-T1 and controls are just enough on the small side that
it caused issues with pain and cramping in my hands if I used the camera
for extended periods (wide squat hands with wide short fingers, and arthritis ).  If it was just about 10% larger, with a full-depth grip, it would be the perfect general-use camera for me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for your input regarding my post.

This is what I finally purchased and I'm in the process of learning about the camera.

I have been trying to find additional NP-W126, however no one has them in stock and I have been told that if I install batteries other that the Fujifilm OEM, the camera will register this and the warranty could be voided should repairs be needed.

]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you all for your input regarding my post.

This is what I finally purchased and I'm in the process of learning about the camera.

I have been trying to find additional NP-W126, however no one has them in stock and I have been told that if I install batteries other that the Fujifilm OEM, the camera will register this and the warranty could be voided should repairs be needed.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m621/reste/IMG_0802_zpsm5ezlqpu.jpg]
View Quote

Nice.

Not sure about the batteries/ warranty issue - I just used the Fujis.

The X-Pro2 is on my list of bodies to look at next trip to the camera store.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
ah man thinking about this or the Sony a6300
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Color me jealous. The X-Pro2 is my dream camera at the moment. I'm shooting with (and loving) my X100s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top