Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2016 10:35:57 AM EDT
I've got a DSLR that I use a bunch, but I need something more point-and-shoot that will fit in a coat pocket.  But something with the exposure controls at hand--I don't like digging in menus.  RAW would be nice but not mandatory.  I'm looking to spend $150 or less and am not afraid to buy used gear.

Any recommendations?

ETA:  Lets say $300
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a tall order. Small form factor, professional control layout, decent image quality - preferably RAW.... AND... under $150? Good luck.

I was in this boat previously, looking for a smaller camera that I could have on me to take decent pictures when I don't have my DSLR with me.

First, I bought the Canon EOS-M, which is a wonderful alternative to a DSLR. It has the same APS-c sensor and basically the same setup as the T4i, minus the viewfinder. It also doesn't have a flash. I just use the prime 22mm lens which keeps it small, but with an adapter I can, and have used my other canon lenses on it. I find it great for travel when I want some lower light or better bokeh shots but taking a full sized camera isn't necessary.

However, even the EOS-M is big when you're trying to stuff it into a pocket. I ended up also getting a Lumix LF1 from china on ebay for ~$350. RAW was mandatory for me, since even lightroom can't do much with blown jpg highlights or off-exposure. That severely limits the options in the P&S category. The LF1 is tiny, and takes acceptable pictures for its sensor size. This is more like stuff I want to document - similar to what I'd use my phone for if my phone took much better photos.  The LF1 also has great optical zoom, which was why I opted for it over the Canon S120 (same price and comparable specs other than zoom range).

For image quality, Sony's RX100 is hands down the best in class with a 1" CMOS sensor. However, it is 50% thicker than the other two and regardless of which version you get (there are 4 now, I believe) it will more expensive (~$400-$1000).

You can check out dpreview.com for reviews and to look at options by features you want.  However, keep in mind in the spirit of arfcom - quickly, cheap, quality... you can only choose two. In this case it's more like "image quality/design, cheap, small", as you'll find that what you're looking for is not generally available at the price you're hoping to pay, and anything in that price range will require significant compromise of the features you want.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have Sony RX 100 III  Amazing little camera...All my other gear is Canon DSLR
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked at the Nikon S9900?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice choice. A Sony RX100 II would be right around $300. Not sure if it's the best choice out there, but it's a good option.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice choice. A Sony RX100 II would be right around $300. Not sure if it's the best choice out there, but it's a good option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

RX100 goes for $400. RX100 II is right at $500... closer to $400 used.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#6]
There is also Nikon 1 that you can use your SLR lenses with the adapter later.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the Nikon S9900?
View Quote

I have a P7800, and it's an absolute turd, IMO. In anything other than perfect conditions or when using ISO settings above 400, the pics require heavy editing. I love their DSLRs and have owned several, but I wouldn't have another Nikon compact.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have any thoughts on like a Canon G16 or G1x?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the Sony RX100 II.  It is a great little camera for the times I don't want to carry an entire DSLR kit.  My biggest gripe, is that it does not have the electronic view finder, like the newer models have.  It is damn near impossible to see the LCD in bright sun light. As is my typical luck, the "III" version came out just a few months after I bought my "II" version.

So, I would highly recommend getting the RX100 III or newer model, because the EVF must be a great improvement.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone have any thoughts on like a Canon G16 or G1x?
View Quote

I personally have not used any of the G16 series. But that series seems to be the goto compact series for lots of Nikon and Canon DSLR shooters I know due to the raw files and manual controls.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
We have done a ton of research on a ton of cameras.  We bought this point and shoot and LOVE it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=892509&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Has all the options you want, in an easy to access menu.  The thing that sold me the most was the clarity of the macro photos.  Very good with no distortion.  We found ours on sale at a camera shop.  B&H says this model is no longer available, but I am sure there is a comparable "next gen."  The one that looks like it from Olympus is:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/stylus-1s.html

Mine can adjust ISO, aperture, speed, white balance, etc, etc. from a very quick menu.  RAW, S-, M-, L-JPEG. Amazing camera in a small package. Can't say enough good things.  If you want to know my only complaint:  I haven't bought the separate battery charger, so I have to charge the battery by plugging the camera in.  So when I switch batteries (which I hardly ever do because they last a long time) I can't charge the dead one.  If I bought the extra charging adapter that problem would go away and I wouldn't have any complaints.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]
iPhone.

Every point and shoot sucks  in that price range when you compare it to a decent dslr. If you aren't willing to have your real gear with you... the shot obviously doesn't mean that much to you and a camera phone will suffice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
iPhone.

Every point and shoot sucks  in that price range when you compare it to a decent dslr. If you aren't willing to have your real gear with you... the shot obviously doesn't mean that much to you and a camera phone will suffice.
View Quote

ditto...I recently went through this debate myself and decided to stick with my iPhone as a compact camera.  I was really looking for something small and lightweight as an alternative to carrying my d810 on hikes/backpacking trips, but I've realized no such acceptable alternative exists.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top