Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2016 1:41:49 AM EDT
Thinking of picking up a cheap Speedlite and was looking at the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT. Knock Off of the Canon 600EX-RT. Seems like it overall gets decent reviews and is 80-90% of the Canon for $120 vs $460.

I don't know anything about using one though. Don't do a lot of studio style shooting, but thought it would be nice for indoor shots of birthdays and things like that. What can I do with a flash? and what are some good resources for learning how to use it properly?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:45:00 AM EDT
[#1]
When it's on the camera, bounce the flash off of something. Wall, ceiling, white card taped to the flash. Anything but pointing it straight at the subject. The only real exception for this is when using the flash at low power for fill flash. Then it can be OK to point it at the subject but bouncing is often still preferable. Bounced flash is the difference between a picture that looks like it was taken with a flash and a picture that you can't tell a flash was even used.

When it's off camera, bouncing it is still preferable but you've got a lot more flexibility.

The strobist site (I don't have a link handy) seems to be a popular place to learn flash stuff.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:43:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yongnuo makes good speedlights. I have three of them and use them heavily. They are tough, do most of what the Nikon/Canon will do and.  

There are tons of youtube videos that can help you learn. The biggest thing is don't just point it straight at the subject. Like Zach3g said, bounce is your friend. and not just to soften up the light, but to create a more dynamic image. It can really help shape your subject. Just make sure what you're bouncing off of is whitish.

A good rule is to shoot the flash up and over one of your shoulders to get nice light on the face. But, sometimes you can shoot it forward and get a cool look.

Straight up works too, but it's not always the best light. If I shoot straight up, I usually pull out the bounce card to give a little fill under the eyes and add catch light.  

If I'm using a flash indoors I like to underexpose the ambient light by a stop or two in order to really make the subject stand out. other wise you get something where they can blend in a little too much, kind of like this.

You'll be able to use it outside too and balance out the sun/ ambient light or for a little fill. If your subject is backlit they will stand out.

Here is short video that talks a little about how to bounce and why.

https://youtu.be/V8na5rvZjmA

I use them outside with soft boxes and umbrellas as well.

In fact, I made a thread about light modifiers and speed lights that no one seems to be interested in. Everything in this thread was done with a Yongnuo or three behind an umbrella or in a softbox.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_121/1828644_Lighting__Light_Modifiers_and_such.html

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought Yongnuo 568 for my Nikon...works great, probably better than the person using it but, I got some great shots on Christmas of the family...

The guys and gals on this forum help me set up to use it in this thread...here

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
A good flash is an essential tool in any photographers' bag.

The dinky ones on the cameras are borderline useless.

Most photographers who aren't shooting for money go in cycles. They try to shoot everything in natural light. Then they dump into flashes.

If you are shooting for money, unless it is forbidden (think certain sports), flashes are close to cheating, especially back in the film days. Vivitar 285 + Kodak tri X pan 400 asa = win.

I like flash. I don't like it when I shoot candids. It alerts people, 'oh, no - he's taking pictures again'. In that case, I use a long lens from across the room and high ISO to stop motion.

Big thing on flash, is GET IT OFF OF THE CAMERA BODY.

That's a rookie mistake. Without contorting the flashhead and using modifiers like bounce cards or tents, shooting with the flash directly over the lens and straight on makes for lackluster pictures.

Putting your flash at an angle, and varying heights off of the lens increases contrast. It takes a pic from meh to wow.

Yongyuo flashes are pretty decent. The newer ones talk to the camera, and they work out what is exactly enough flash, which is nice when you don't have time to figure stuff out. They also have a lot of advanced features you might never use.

You don't have to buy new, find a decent used flash. It doesn't have to be a monster, either.

The big thing is get out and use it. Everywhere, like how some people use salt. Try a pic with and without it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good flash is an essential tool in any photographers' bag.

The dinky ones on the cameras are borderline useless.

Most photographers who aren't shooting for money go in cycles. They try to shoot everything in natural light. Then they dump into flashes.

If you are shooting for money, unless it is forbidden (think certain sports), flashes are close to cheating, especially back in the film days. Vivitar 285 + Kodak tri X pan 400 asa = win.

I like flash. I don't like it when I shoot candids. It alerts people, 'oh, no - he's taking pictures again'. In that case, I use a long lens from across the room and high ISO to stop motion.

Big thing on flash, is GET IT OFF OF THE CAMERA BODY.

That's a rookie mistake. Without contorting the flashhead and using modifiers like bounce cards or tents, shooting with the flash directly over the lens and straight on makes for lackluster pictures.

Putting your flash at an angle, and varying heights off of the lens increases contrast. It takes a pic from meh to wow.

Yongyuo flashes are pretty decent. The newer ones talk to the camera, and they work out what is exactly enough flash, which is nice when you don't have time to figure stuff out. They also have a lot of advanced features you might never use.

You don't have to buy new, find a decent used flash. It doesn't have to be a monster, either.

The big thing is get out and use it. Everywhere, like how some people use salt. Try a pic with and without it.
View Quote

I still prefer pics done with ambient light. That said, I recognize when a flash can give it that extra kick it needs and employ it as appropriate.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Ambient is ok.

It can lend a certain warmth I'll never achieve even with gelled flashes.

But strobes are mastery of lighting. You put it where you want, as much (or as little) as you want, the temp you want. There's a reason studios invest heavily in them, and it's not just because the cost of sun roofs are prohibited...

You ever shoot any 3-5 flash setups? It's a great way to add catch and hair lighting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ambient is ok.

It can lend a certain warmth I'll never achieve even with gelled flashes.

But strobes are mastery of lighting. You put it where you want, as much (or as little) as you want, the temp you want. There's a reason studios invest heavily in them, and it's not just because the cost of sun roofs are prohibited...

You ever shoot any 3-5 flash setups? It's a great way to add catch and hair lighting.
View Quote

The most I've ever owned at one time is 2, and sadly my little SB-600 died in the house fire.

I can think of a ton of things to do with several strobes and a few soft boxes but since I don't have a money tree outside and am basically selling shit left and right just to keep a roof over my head right now, that's gonna have to wait.

If I can't get this thing turned around soon, my whole photo kit may well end up on the chopping block.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I can't get this thing turned around soon, my whole photo kit may well end up on the chopping block.
View Quote

Man,

I'm VERY sorry to hear that. You're a talented photographer. There's money to be made shooting. Lots of sports seasons coming up, headshots for models on craigslist, it goes on.

I get very burnt out; I fuck up and turn hobbies into jobs that I don't want to do.

Prayers out that it turns around for you
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The heavy hitters at one of the Nikon sites swear by this flash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7OO5FI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00C7OO5FI&linkCode=as2&tag=nikonites-20

Next payday I'm probably getting one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I should start looking into a flash.  Don't have one and rarely use the on-camera unit.

Most of my subjects are a long ways away, though, so a flash won't help too much...
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I should start looking into a flash.  Don't have one and rarely use the on-camera unit.

Most of my subjects are a long ways away, though, so a flash won't help too much...
View Quote

You'd be surprised.

Look at metz or Vivitar 285 flashes. I shot a lot of basketball and night football with a 283. That was before people got sensitive and whiny, though...

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The heavy hitters at one of the Nikon sites swear by this flash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7OO5FI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00C7OO5FI&linkCode=as2&tag=nikonites-20

Next payday I'm probably getting one.
View Quote

I've got (I think) a 568ex. It's been pretty respectable so far. Haven't really pushed it yet, though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Well my used (like new) Canon 430EX II came today. Was going to go with that Yongnuo in the OP, but I found the Canon for the same price and even though it's a lower model, I liked having the brand name one.

Only had a chance to take some shots of a stuffed penguin so far on some different settings and all, but it's pretty nice. I have a 70-200 coming tomorrow so that will be nice for portraits.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]
This was flash with the window light as well. Working on balancing natural light and flash. Have a few more photos but forgot to upload them.

IMG_0526.jpg by Adam Davis, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
The best pictures taken with flash are the ones where you can't tell a flash was used.

The light looks pretty good in that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top