Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2016 4:48:09 PM EDT
We are going abstract this time around  

...The subject for Challenge #10 is......
     RED

The directions are that you must shoot something that relates closely to the above words, that the viewer can easily interpret your work in the form of "RED".  This could include anything in nature, sports, people, your mother's lingerie, etc. that requires a subject that represents the color red.     Just do a google image search for the color red and you'll find lots of inspiration.

RULES:
1. You will have 2 WEEKS to produce your image. End Date is 26 January 2016
2. Only one image per person. Make it your best.    
3. If you are having problems technically or conceptually, you can post an in-progress image along with an appeal for the community to make suggestions on how to make it better
4. This is not a contest. There are no winners/losers. After your image is uploaded, the community can then critique in a constructive way. No assholish behavior when it comes to critiques. Likewise, anybody who has hurt feelings can be given virtual hugs as recompense.
4. Images have to be produced within the two-week time period. No reaching back to archives to find something you did 2mo ago and posting it up.
This goes with the philosophy that your last shot is the most important shot.
5.  OLD RULE:  You must critique the previous photo before you can post yours.  The first to post a photo obviously doesn't have to critique, but it is appreciated that they do so on the last photo posted in the contest.

If you see a photo that hasn't been critiqued, feel free to do so as we are all learning.

P.S. If you already know exactly what you're going to shoot, still take some time before posting it. Do some research and really think about it, or go shoot it twice. If 2wks is too long, we will shorten it down to 1, but that will be voted on. GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
In!

I wish I still had this girl's number, she'd be up for a shoot.

As it sits...I'm gonna have to really think about this one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Ooohhhh I've got a real good one for this, but the shoot isn't till the 24th and will be botd/nsfw....
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ooohhhh I've got a real good one for this, but the shoot isn't till the 24th and will be botd/nsfw....
View Quote

Hey I was just joking about shooting mother's lingerie.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Can we have a break on the COC?

Have a good one all ready
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not saying you should do the same, but I received permission to post a way over the line picture here in the photo forum as part of a technical discussion.

Your mileage may vary of course.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I had this one a long time ago in a photography class.  However, we were required to do it with black & white film.  That was fun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it will be a mother, and will be in lingerie, but the redhead is not my mother.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Got an idea.  I'll see how it turns out
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In!

I wish I still had this girl's number, she'd be up for a shoot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/saturday/ed974cc4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/saturday/74f77509.jpg

As it sits...I'm gonna have to really think about this one.
View Quote

I'll pass I can't keep up with whats at home
red1 by chilie1, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay,  don't know anything about cameras or photography, so be gentle on me. This was taken with a Panasonic Lumix G7. The lens is that $25 Fujian 1.7 one that you can get off Ebay, people were posting about it in GD the other day. I call it, "Sunday afternoon drinking."

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Okay,  don't know anything about cameras or photography, so be gentle on me. This was taken with a Panasonic Lumix G7. The lens is that $25 Fujian 1.7 one that you can get off Ebay, people were posting about it in GD the other day. I call it, "Sunday afternoon drinking."

http://i66.tinypic.com/2im5q0y.jpg
View Quote

The undulating light is gorgeous.  I'm really enjoying the softness of the entire image.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, PS...since you know nothing about photography then I shall edjubacate you...
Noob myself, love the shot (BTW, you're suppose to critique the one before you...)

Really like the white in the shot, simple with great focus point...I see "Red" twice...theme and name, and saw that right off.
About all I can add is maybe bring the subject down and to the right for a well place rule of thirds composition...
But, I like it...

My submission: Local museum of science and industry...I thought of this when RED was listed. Tried several ideas and settled on this...From the pacific northwet...

ETA: After looking at this shot for a few days,  I think it lacks scale, the letters are about 8' tall each and are a huge part of Portland(OMSI) Oregon Museum of Science and Industry...a geek museum. When I saw challenge "Red" this was the first thing to come to mind...we'll it is red...hard not to "get"...
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My only comment concerning the above image is...I don't get it.

I know there are letters there, but the sign itself is unfamiliar to me and thus I can't really figure out what this picture is trying to tell me.

My entry, a macro stack (with a few little stacking errors) but I think it speaks for itself. The flower is some type of amaryllis that I borrowed from my mom.

Shot stats: 87 images () shot with 50 making it into the final stack. I made sure to leave a few on each end to ensure I got what I wanted.

All shots were taken with these settings:

D7200
Nikon 105mm D
1/250
f/8
ISO200
SB-910 bounced to about 4:00 @ manual 1/2 power.

Processing was my usual flow in lightroom for the individual images. I did *not* mess with the saturation in them.

Stack was performed initially in Zerene stacker, then taken to photoshop to try to correct as many of the stacking errors as I could manually. Applied a touch of manual sharpening there and exported the final image.

Drum roll please!

red web by Zack, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice one Zack!!!

Here is mine, all Red added post processing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks Purity good other than that "laser" effect looks more like 4 watts than 40 megawatts.

Hears mine it is a little minimalist in the red but I think it makes the point.
</a>IMG_0031 by chilie1, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
^ I like the shallow depth of field and the simplicity of it.

I decided to play with some HDR/focus stacking...

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.nwoo.net/i/macro/bullets.jpg
View Quote

I like it. Looks like you're getting the hang of the focus stacking thing!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seems like everything you want is in focus, good job on the stacking. I also can't tell it's an HDR, another good thing.

Only thing I might say, is it feels like everything in the photo is weighted to the left. Nit picky.

Here's my entry. Sorry in advance.

Red by Adam Davis, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the focus and depth of field; it shows off the playing piece.  It also tells a story which is good.  I'd, however try framing it a bit differently.  I'd like to see the red piece a bit more toward 1/3 in and 1/3 down.  Your card is centered as is the red piece vertically.  It puts the red piece too far to the left of the image.  The card does not need to be in full view either.  Even if you got a bit of the outside edge of the board and table in the frame it would be O.K.  That might add a bit of interest as well.

Now for my entry.  I should have taken a lot more shots, and with different exposures.  As it was, it was a bit dark and I had to adjust the white point and neutral grey.

I have tentatively titled it "After the Retrieve."    I'm not sure on how well the dog tracks show up.  (Note:  this was completely staged---no animals were harmed to shoot this photo.)    The camera was again my Nikon D50 with a 28-200 lens set at 28x and F3.5  The shutter speed was around 1600.  Light was just overcast sky.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the concept, but it sounds like one of your objectives was to get the tracks in.  I also have no idea what the red thing is.  Leash?  Retrieve dummy?  Heck, the more I look at it the less I understand.

I bet you're not shooting raw; if you were you could do all sorts of things to bring out the tracks.

My critique sounds harsh, but it's meant to be constructive!  I suggest re-shooting in raw if you can, bringing it into Lightroom (or if you're cheap like me download the free Lightzone) and fiddle about with it.  You might be surprised at what you can do in post.

Now, for my entry:

Red skies in morning, sailors take warning.  Very apropos of Snowpocalypse Ought-16.
16mm, f/2.8, 1/160, ISO250.  Oh, and judicious use of hue/sat/exp/etc. in post.
DSC_8591-Red Skies In Morning_lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like the concept, but it sounds like one of your objectives was to get the tracks in.  I also have no idea what the red thing is.  Leash?  Retrieve dummy?  Heck, the more I look at it the less I understand.

I bet you're not shooting raw; if you were you could do all sorts of things to bring out the tracks.

My critique sounds harsh, but it's meant to be constructive!  I suggest re-shooting in raw if you can, bringing it into Lightroom (or if you're cheap like me download the free Lightzone) and fiddle about with it.  You might be surprised at what you can do in post.

Now, for my entry:

Red skies in morning, sailors take warning.  Very apropos of Snowpocalypse Ought-16.
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/DdyJ1H" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1446/24427383281_048d59f8bc_b.jpg</a>DSC_8591-Red Skies In Morning_lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Nice use of negative space. I like the upward contour on the right, gives the image some dimension. If I saw that sky I would be popping my PMAGs!!

I was shooting this knife for a client today. After we wrapped I remembered the challenge and screwed around for a bit. I didn't really have a concept in mind, just a product shot.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Seems like everything you want is in focus, good job on the stacking. I also can't tell it's an HDR, another good thing.

Only thing I might say, is it feels like everything in the photo is weighted to the left. Nit picky.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/Cohv2i" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1557/23881025983_b18f3c91e1_b.jpg</a>Red by Adam Davis, on Flickr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/Cohv2i" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1557/23881025983_b18f3c91e1_b.jpg</a>Red by Adam Davis, on Flickr

I dig this man, reminds me of a Mondrian painting. Aside from some perspective changes to get things square, I think it works well. Nice balance.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like the focus and depth of field; it shows off the playing piece.  It also tells a story which is good.  I'd, however try framing it a bit differently.  I'd like to see the red piece a bit more toward 1/3 in and 1/3 down.  Your card is centered as is the red piece vertically.  It puts the red piece too far to the left of the image.  The card does not need to be in full view either.  Even if you got a bit of the outside edge of the board and table in the frame it would be O.K.  That might add a bit of interest as well.

Now for my entry.  I should have taken a lot more shots, and with different exposures.  As it was, it was a bit dark and I had to adjust the white point and neutral grey.

I have tentatively titled it "After the Retrieve."    I'm not sure on how well the dog tracks show up.  (Note:  this was completely staged---no animals were harmed to shoot this photo.)    The camera was again my Nikon D50 with a 28-200 lens set at 28x and F3.5  The shutter speed was around 1600.  Light was just overcast sky.  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=84605
View Quote

I think you did a great job. Snow is so damn hard to white balance properly. I read the shells and tracks the instant I saw it. The only thing missing is a dog, him/her on their way back to you would be a good addition.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Very nice TheWhiteHorse
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Very nice TheWhiteHorse
View Quote

Yes...
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think you did a great job. Snow is so damn hard to white balance properly. I read the shells and tracks the instant I saw it. The only thing missing is a dog, him/her on their way back to you would be a good addition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I thought about trying to add the dog, but it would add too much black, dwarf the shotshells even more, and give away the lie---she would be retrieving a training dummy instead of a bird or rabbit.  

I hope today or tomorrow the sun will come out and I can try again with more contrasting light.  I'm thinking of adding the alert dog sitting waiting to be sent in the next one.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#27]
shit I always forget about this forum, I'll try to remember to shoot something this weekend
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=84605
View Quote
I like the shot, but I'd like to see it a little bit darker. You did a good job keeping the snow white, but it's a little bright, at least on my monitor. being so bright, I can't really see the tracks, so it doesn't really give me much sense of depth.

I actually took it into photoshop and dropped the exposure a bit and upped the contrast and it looks really good. Not sure if you shot it raw, but if you did you should be able to do the same/better.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Now, for my entry:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1446/24427383281_048d59f8bc_b.jpgDSC_8591-Red Skies In Morning_lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that I could have this as a desktop background. There is something really mesmerizing about it. Not really relaxing, but mesmerizing.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Nice use of negative space. I like the upward contour on the right, gives the image some dimension. If I saw that sky I would be popping my PMAGs!!

I was shooting this knife for a client today. After we wrapped I remembered the challenge and screwed around for a bit. I didn't really have a concept in mind, just a product shot.

http://s16.postimg.org/b6w5ac96t/Red.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, for my entry:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/DdyJ1H" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1446/24427383281_048d59f8bc_b.jpg</a>DSC_8591-Red Skies In Morning_lzn by FredMan, on Flickr

http://s16.postimg.org/b6w5ac96t/Red.jpg
I like this. It makes me want o grab one of my Shuns and go to town on some vegetables.

The only two things that draw my eye in any odd way. First, he shadow under the blade looks a little odd due to the holes in the blade. it messes with the reflection. Second, reflections under the peppers look a little odd too me. Almost like shadows with a little too much recovery. Maybe its just the red on red...   Id really love to see the same shot on something less reflective.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My only comment concerning the above image is...I don't get it.

I know there are letters there, but the sign itself is unfamiliar to me and thus I can't really figure out what this picture is trying to tell me.

My entry, a macro stack (with a few little stacking errors) but I think it speaks for itself. The flower is some type of amaryllis that I borrowed from my mom.

Shot stats: 87 images () shot with 50 making it into the final stack. I made sure to leave a few on each end to ensure I got what I wanted.

All shots were taken with these settings:

D7200

Nikon 105mm D

1/250

f/8

ISO200

SB-910 bounced to about 4:00 @ manual 1/2 power.

Processing was my usual flow in lightroom for the individual images. I did *not* mess with the saturation in them.

Stack was performed initially in Zerene stacker, then taken to photoshop to try to correct as many of the stacking errors as I could manually. Applied a touch of manual sharpening there and exported the final image.

Drum roll please!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1454/23841840133_efcddc19cc_h.jpgred web by Zack, on Flickr

View Quote
This is my favorite so far. I love the texture. I would actually like to see a little less in focus as far as the stamen and pistil go.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Makes me want to reload.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1557/23881025983_b18f3c91e1_b.jpgRed by Adam Davis, on Flickr
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1557/23881025983_b18f3c91e1_b.jpgRed by Adam Davis, on Flickr
Other than a little fringing on the bottom of the card, I like it. It keeps my eye moving, but not in a distracting way.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok, so my redhead shoot got pushed back a few weeks. So, this will have to do.
I would have liked to back up a bit, but they were tearing up Pike Pl all the way to the middle of 1st Ave.

I was also in the act of moving the light a little more to the front to light her face better, but a delivery truck jumped in and ruined the whole thing, so this was the one shot I got.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ok, so my redhead shoot got pushed back a few weeks. So, this will have to do. I would have liked to back up a bit, but they were tearing up Pike Pl all the way to the middle of 1st Ave.

I was also in the act of moving the light a little more to the front to light her face better, but a delivery truck jumped in and ruined the whole thing, so this was the one shot I got.
View Quote

Wow. Really nice shot. I love the way all the light is reflected in the street. I love the way it tells a story. It almost makes you wish you were the guy, standing there with his best girl. If I had one criticism, I'd want the couple to be closer to the camera, but with a really wide depth of field, so they appeared larger, but you still had the same clarity in the scenery. I'd like to see more of them.

Here's my entry. I'm actually hesitant to even post it here because it's not what I wanted to post but I haven't been able to catch that shot. This one just came about by accident.  It pretty much fits the mood of what I've been dealing with here in the ATL lately, though.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Pretty good for a spur of the moment shot.  I'm more of a fan of horizontal shots, especially as it probably would have captured more red stoplights or tail-lights.  Hard to say as I wasn't there.  Also, photobucket lowers the pixel count a lot and the images come out here a little fuzzy looking.  There are others that let the image show up here nice and sharp.
So here's my entry.  iso 100, 26mm, f/9, 2 seconds, and had to mess with exposure and gamma and figure out format conversions that would work ok since jpeg kills red.  I wanted to try to bring out the reflected rays while not over exposing the crystal itself.  I don't know how to do selected areas of a RAW image in Capture NX-D (the free stuff from Nikon).  The powder also shows up on the glass surface.  And as usual it looks a little better still in capture before the conversions.  A work in progress I guess on this one.

*also I might try re-sizing for 15" monitor.  Side-scrolling is still required to see the whole thing, and it's a little bit, which hurts it a little especially after being cropped too.  
Basically a laser aimed at a chunk of crystal while blowing some talcum powder at it.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice pic!  But the reason for my reply:
I don't know how to do selected areas of a RAW image in Capture NX-D (the free stuff from Nikon)
View Quote

You can't.  And I hate it.  Because NX-D seems to do a better job of post than Lightzone, EXCEPT that you can't mask.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pretty good for a spur of the moment shot.  I'm more of a fan of horizontal shots, especially as it probably would have captured more red stoplights or tail-lights.  Hard to say as I wasn't there.  Also, photobucket lowers the pixel count a lot and the images come out here a little fuzzy looking.  There are others that let the image show up here nice and sharp.

So here's my entry.  iso 100, 26mm, f/9, 2 seconds, and had to mess with exposure and gamma and figure out format conversions that would work ok since jpeg kills red.  I wanted to try to bring out the reflected rays while not over exposing the crystal itself.  I don't know how to do selected areas of a RAW image in Capture NX-D (the free stuff from Nikon).  The powder also shows up on the glass surface.  And as usual it looks a little better still in capture before the conversions.  A work in progress I guess on this one.

*also I might try re-sizing for 15" monitor.  Side-scrolling is still required to see the whole thing, and it's a little bit, which hurts it a little especially after being cropped too.  

Basically a laser aimed at a chunk of crystal while blowing some talcum powder at it.
http://s19.postimg.org/95wvnibwj/laser_red2_1.gif  
View Quote

You've got an email waiting for you. I gave the raw of this a once over, I think you'll be pleased.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
You've got an email waiting for you. I gave the raw of this a once over, I think you'll be pleased.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s19.postimg.org/95wvnibwj/laser_red2_1.gif  

That was quick.  Nice work, really brought out the reflected rays while toning down overexposure of the crystal itself, bringing out way more detail in it.  Thankyou.  I need to upgrade to some new software.  My old 2001ish program does layering, masking, etc etc, but it won't work with this new RAW stuff.

*When I set this shot up, I also didn't realize how time-consuming it was going to quickly become.  There were literally a limitless number of ways to angle things.  The slightest change in laser angle or point of impact would completely change the results, on top of trying to work in getting the crystal from an angle I liked.  Oh yeah, turning a flashlight on and off to see what I was doing, dumpling a bit of talcum powder on my hand, blowing that every shot, and then reviewing the shot to see if I even managed any reflected rays.

Anyway, thanks a bunch.

**also still trying to work with a broken 18-55 lens that only manually focuses and changes completely if the barrel flops one way or the other.  I need to hurry up and replace that thing.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#40]
I might be late on this one but I took this on my phone earlier today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top