Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2015 3:17:03 PM EDT
Like this

_DSC4301 by Zack, on Flickr

How could I have done this better?

Shot with a 50mm, d7200, SB910 camera mounted and bounced to camera right.

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it vertically an fill the frame.
I'm not sure the red back drop is working.  
Get your source off of the camera and and light at a higher ratio so he doesn't look so flat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot it vertically an fill the frame.
I'm not sure the red back drop is working.  
Get your source off of the camera and and light at a higher ratio so he doesn't look so flat.
View Quote

The red wasn't really a choice but a lack of options.

It's a shower curtain.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks fine to me. What is your goal? Product photography can be done many ways depending on what kind of style/look you want to achieve.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks fine to me. What is your goal? Product photography can be done many ways depending on what kind of style/look you want to achieve.
View Quote

No goal really, just trying to improve upon something I haven't really messed with much.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Round 2

_DSC4414web by Zack, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Not an export but #2 looks better.  I'd put a little less crop at the top. Maybe something to the right or crop out the blank space.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks better, but for a product shot you really wanna to shoot tighter and not lead all that dead space on the side. Also I'd light it a bit mor to the side and lightly fill the other side. It will give more dimension.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want to replicate lifesize lighting on a smaller subject, like this little guy, you need to scale down your lighting.  You can either use a smaller source, or move your existing source back a bit.  Picture the difference in summer time verses winter.  In winter, the shadows are not only longer, but more defined, whereas in summer, shadows are softer.  Picture the earth in winter using a light that's a bit further away, and in summer it's using a light with an umbrella.  

If your goal is to get flat-ish lighting, use an umbrella and get really close.  With this little guy, just shoot like you would a normal person, using different light to see what you can come up with.  

There's a guy in GD who shoots (or used to) a lot of star wars themed figures in really cool details, but I have no idea his screen name.  Maybe he'll come in and lend some advice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to replicate lifesize lighting on a smaller subject, like this little guy, you need to scale down your lighting.  You can either use a smaller source, or move your existing source back a bit.  Picture the difference in summer time verses winter.  In winter, the shadows are not only longer, but more defined, whereas in summer, shadows are softer.  Picture the earth in winter using a light that's a bit further away, and in summer it's using a light with an umbrella.  

If your goal is to get flat-ish lighting, use an umbrella and get really close.  With this little guy, just shoot like you would a normal person, using different light to see what you can come up with.  

There's a guy in GD who shoots (or used to) a lot of star wars themed figures in really cool details, but I have no idea his screen name.  Maybe he'll come in and lend some advice.
View Quote

That is an interesting suggestion. I'll mess with that later or tomorrow.

I'm doggy sitting this today, so there's not much chance to mess with the camera.

_DSC4425-Edit by Zack, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The light is a bit too sharp, what modifier were u using? The easiest way for me to shoot most products is with a softbox kr beautidish up close. And f 10 ish apperture to keep the subect in focus.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I like to really soften the light source and make them huge.

Toys lighted up with small Ikea light.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
And one with a Alien Bee and covered beautidish. So you can see soft vs hard and direct light.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Round 3

_DSC4770 by Zack, on Flickr

Round 3A

_DSC4765 by Zack, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#14]
3A is looking good; 3 is a bit dark.

Looking back at the lots of space on the right of round 2, that can be a good thing if the project will require room for text for something like a magazine spread.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Alot of times when I am doing models and small parts with a back ground, one of the things I try to check first is how much separation I get from the background with lighting. This will allow me to cut things out in post process.

All your pictures are good, but the light could be a bit more dramatic?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Alot of times when I am doing models and small parts with a back ground, one of the things I try to check first is how much separation I get from the background with lighting. This will allow me to cut things out in post process.

View Quote

This is why I'm doing this thread. I know what goes into a 'good' picture.

As in, the general how and why to properly expose and all that.

What I don't know is how to make this little dude really pop in an interesting manner. Something involving the light source scaling I think. Not sure.

I will try a few more shots tomorrow. Tinkered with something else today.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What I don't know is how to make this little dude really pop in an interesting manner. Something involving the light source scaling I think. Not sure.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try some rim light if you want a little more pop/separation from the background.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a little playing around this afternoon and tried a few different setups to see what popped a little more.

Here is what I came up with.

Main light was flash in a small soft just off to the right of the subject. Red and blue as rim lights.

The rest are done with the mail light as a snooted flash in a few different positions.

Used a white reflector for fill on this one and the red as mostly a background light.  

Same here, but more red on the subject and not the background.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#19]
That's some good stuff. Unfortunately, I'm limited to a single light. The SB-910 was in my bag when I left the house the day the fire happened. The SB-600 and a few others were not.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That's some good stuff. Unfortunately, I'm limited to a single light. The SB-910 was in my bag when I left the house the day the fire happened. The SB-600 and a few others were not.

View Quote
Maybe you could us a reflector or mirror to bounce the main light off of and add a little highlight?

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe you could us a reflector or mirror to bounce the main light off of and add a little highlight?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I've been thinking. The question is how to set it up. I also considered using a LED flashlight to add a bit. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#22]
More bouncification.

_DSC3789w by Zack, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the exposure on this last one, but it looks like you either have too little DOF, or the focus is a bit soft. Look at how sharp the nose is v. the ear. A couple solutions:
- Back up some and zoom in more (the farther out you are focusing, the more DOF you get at the same aperture setting)
- tighten down the aperture some - maybe a stop or two (and obvi make the corresponding exposure corrections)

Every one of these is getting better!

-shooter
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like the exposure on this last one, but it looks like you either have too little DOF, or the focus is a bit soft. Look at how sharp the nose is v. the ear. A couple solutions:
- Back up some and zoom in more (the farther out you are focusing, the more DOF you get at the same aperture setting)
- tighten down the aperture some - maybe a stop or two (and obvi make the corresponding exposure corrections)

Every one of these is getting better!

-shooter
View Quote

It was shot with a reasonably wide aperture. I want to say it was f/4.

Eyes and face are in focus, most everything else is not. I shot it more like a portrait.

I agree that a little more depth of field would have improved the look of that one a bit but the lighting is getting better.

Edit: Here's a similar composition at f/8.

Had to bump the ISO and flash up a bit to compensate of course but the light is almost the same.

_DSC3803w by Zack, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

In that case, just make sure the room is really dark, do a 5sec exposure and trip the light once for main, then bring it around again for the kicker.

Might work better if you used a small flash light and painted, though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:19:08 AM EDT
[#26]
It all depends (to me) on what you are going for with the shot. The concept.

Is it straight-up "this is what it is" photography?

Is it an enticement to the viewer (thus, shallow DOF might be interesting, or lighting that drops off dramatically or has a reason to be different)?

All your shots you've taken so far might work in various applications. It's all about what you want to show and tell with the image. Current style might affect it a bit - for example, the very bluish, overexposed food photography that's been popular for a while now. The concept is to make the food appetizing, and a little dreamy, as if you were daydreaming about the food at your table.

Concept is huge. It affects your photos, and it should. Take twenty different shots of that same figurine with as many different lighting setups, DOFs, crops, color spaces, etc. as you can think of, and pick the one you like. Analyze why you like it. Ask us which ones we like. (danger, here: We all like different things )

Think about how Ichiro Nagata put his stamp on gun photography - he put gels on different strobes to add visual drama and character to the firearms when he burst on the scene... His concept was to take unusual and interesting photos of guns. It worked. Now, it worked *for him* and anyone who does that now will be mistaken for Ichiro-san. This is just an example, not a template.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
This project got moved to the back burner for a while but I had a free minute today and decided to hit him with the black background I've been using for a few other subjects lately.

_DSC6864-Edit by Zack, on Flickr

Second shot

_DSC6884-Edit by Zack, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top