Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2015 2:05:09 PM EDT
Long story short, I have a Canon 40d DSLR and a few lenses. I'll be getting a bonus for Xmas this year so I'm thinking of upgrading cameras, primarily to have a video option and a much faster AF system would be helpful. I'm what you would call a prosumer user, I shoot almost always exclusively on semi-manual control setting shutter and F-stop myself for most shots; in other words I rarely shoot in 'Auto' mode.

I like my 40d but it's showing its age in picture output, (only 10.1 MP) and more importantly poor AF and lack of lower light focusing. The lack of Video is not the main reason but I'd like the option especially for use with my son. I'm thinking jumping up to a 5D MarkIII, 6D or even a 7D MarkIII; really leaning towards the full-frame sensor but reviews of each camera tell the disadvantage the 7d has due to the 1.6 is more than made up for with other features. I have one 'L' bodied lense (70-200mm f2.8,) 28-135mm kit lens, 50mm Prime and an Speedlight 550 flash. I shoot with the L lens most of the time due to the tack sharp shots bit I'm thinking of picking up maybe the 24-105L for all around use in addition to a new body.

So, give me some thoughts; do any of you own/have experience with these cameras? The 5Ds is a tad out my price range but a factory refurb is not, unless I'm making money with my camera I don't see the stretch. I'd like some suggestions.

Update: So I got a 7D mkII with a Canon 28-105L (f4) during the Canon rebate program. I got it after Christmas so I haven't had a ton of time to play with it, I'm very impressed. One negative and it's not really the camera, my Adobe CS5 won't read the RAW files (camera model not supported by this version of Camera RAW,) so I have to convert to dng files first and then import; not that big of a deal but it looks like upgrading the Camera RAW driver will fix it; for some reason when I try to update the update fails. I haven't had the time to sit down and figure it out but the output of that combo is very, very impressive.

I went back and forth of the 24-105 and 18-135 lens, I know the limitations of the crop sensor on the 24-105 but since I don't shoot wide very often it wasn't a big deal and I may score a 10-22 EF-S from Canon's refurb site when they get more stock so I have that covered. After you use a 'L' body once forever will it rule your destiny.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot Nikon but I hear nothing but good things about the 7DMkwhatever. I can't keep track of Canon's naming schemes.

The crop sensor isn't as big of a burden or disadvantage as a lot of people seem to believe. For things like wildlife, and macro photography it actually helps a bit.

If this was 2 days ago, I'd tell you that I love my D7100 and have no plans to upgrade any time soon.

Yesterday, I got a D7200 dropped on me. I am very impressed with its performance (what little I've been able to shoot with it)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot Nikon but I hear nothing but good things about the 7DMkwhatever. I can't keep track of Canon's naming schemes.

The crop sensor isn't as big of a burden or disadvantage as a lot of people seem to believe. For things like wildlife, and macro photography it actually helps a bit.

If this was 2 days ago, I'd tell you that I love my D7100 and have no plans to upgrade any time soon.

Yesterday, I got a D7200 dropped on me. I am very impressed with its performance (what little I've been able to shoot with it)
View Quote

Yeah I'm invested in Canon at this point so it is what is is. The crop sensor doesn't bug me either as you just learn to work around it, would be nice to have a true ultra wide lens if I opted for the 17-40 at some point but it's not that big of a deal. I'm leaning to the 7D MkIII at this point, a factory refurb can be had below a grand which allows some budget for a new lens. The new AF and dual sensors appeal to me but crop sensors seem to really bug pros.

Suppose I could look at the 70d (or whatever) but the 7DMKIII eclipses it in every category with only a couple hundred bucks so one is foolish not to spring for the extra. Nikon and Canon make great cameras and glass so one can't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm invested in Canon at this point so it is what is is. The crop sensor doesn't bug me either as you just learn to work around it, would be nice to have a true ultra wide lens if I opted for the 17-40 at some point but it's not that big of a deal. I'm leaning to the 7D MkIII at this point, a factory refurb can be had below a grand which allows some budget for a new lens. The new AF and dual sensors appeal to me but crop sensors seem to really bug pros.

Suppose I could look at the 70d (or whatever) but the 7DMKIII eclipses it in every category with only a couple hundred bucks so one is foolish not to spring for the extra. Nikon and Canon make great cameras and glass so one can't go wrong either way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll find this video somewhat interesting and amusing. Aside from the british accented asian guy (from singapore, I think) they do a side by side comparison of the 7200, 70d, and 7d. Pretty interesting results.

https://youtu.be/d5ia2xoAqkA

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You'll find this video somewhat interesting and amusing. Aside from the british accented asian guy (from singapore, I think) they do a side by side comparison of the 7200, 70d, and 7d. Pretty interesting results.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interdasting, wonder what the MKIII would do. I'll keep looking at comparison videos, that was actually pretty helpful as I just can exclude the 70d.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
For good AF and iOS sensitivity and of course video, you might also want to look into the mirrorless cameras out there.

I don't have one yet myself but I've been looking into them a bit for my next camera.

Some of the pros include focus tracking, low light sensitivity, and of course video options. Plus they tend to be cheaper, lighter weight, and you don't "look" professional. (Meaning, if you're out in some park or venue it's less likely you'll be asked to leave or get a permit to photograph)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're looking for a pretty good super-wide, look into the Tokina 11-16.  Love mine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot on a 7D and a 70D. The thing I really like about the 70D is the articulating screen. I don't think there is that big a jump in ability between the 70D and the 7D MKII for me to make the switch. I do a lot of self shot video so the articulating screen is a must for me. The 65(?) AF points of the 7D MKII intrigue me though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Interdasting, wonder what the MKIII would do. I'll keep looking at comparison videos, that was actually pretty helpful as I just can exclude the 70d.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you getting the 7DmkII confused with the 5DmkIII?  The 7DmkII is the latest version.
I just picked up a 7D2 back in August, along with the new 100-400.  I've used it for some airshow and moon shots, and hopefully in a week or two I'll be trying to get some Bald Eagle shots.  I'm still in the learning phase, as I'm coming over from Nikon.  I'm quite happy with the combo, although I do notice a bit of a difference in sensor performance mostly in lower light.
If you're looking at the 7DmkII, B&H has them with a $500 instant savings through the 28th.  Brings the price down to 1299.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys have me wanting to check out the 7D MkII now. I picked up my 70D before the 7D MkII came out and I only paid 900 for it new. I wonder if there is really 400 bucks worth of difference there?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys have me wanting to check out the 7D MkII now. I picked up my 70D before the 7D MkII came out and I only paid 900 for it new. I wonder if there is really 400 bucks worth of difference there?
View Quote

Every review and comparison I see says that the 70d is a toy compared to the 7d.

The 7d does a lot of things very well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Every review and comparison I see says that the 70d is a toy compared to the 7d.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty impressive then. I've been more than happy with the 70D. I just wonder if I could get over the lack of articulating screen. I guess since I'm about 1/3 through the rated shutter actuations on the 70D I'll find out in another year or two.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been more than happy with the 7d. Some stuff is funky and the light meter being removed from the top display is the most annoying for me. It almost made me return it. Other than that, I have been impressed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you getting the 7DmkII confused with the 5DmkIII?  The 7DmkII is the latest version.

I just picked up a 7D2 back in August, along with the new 100-400.  I've used it for some airshow and moon shots, and hopefully in a week or two I'll be trying to get some Bald Eagle shots.  I'm still in the learning phase, as I'm coming over from Nikon.  I'm quite happy with the combo, although I do notice a bit of a difference in sensor performance mostly in lower light.

If you're looking at the 7DmkII, B&H has them with a $500 instant savings through the 28th.  Brings the price down to 1299.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Canon with their damn numbering scheme. 7DMKII although the MKIII 5D isn't too far off my screen.

ETA....Thanks guys for the input, the 7dMKII really looks like the camera for me and to answer, I'm eying that B&H deal in time for Christmas shooting but I'm hoping to catch a similar deal for a factory refurb at $899 a few weeks back. If I did, I'd go ahead and buy another 'L' body for primary use.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you're looking for a pretty good super-wide, look into the Tokina 11-16.  Love mine.
View Quote

Before the 11-16 came out, I picked up the Tokina 12-24. Also a top tier lens! I bought it thinking I would sell it after a ten day trip. Now, I use it far more than I would have expected.

The ultra-wides are a lot of fun to tinker with.

In terms of camera, there are a ton of good options out there. The feature sets from the higher end migrate into the lower end models over time, so depending on what you want, you can get a lot of features for not a lot of coin.

-shooter
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, you need to decide a couple things first before choosing.
What kind of shooting do you do?
Action?
Wildlife?
Landscape?
Night time?

If you need low light performance, the 5D is going to be better, and all around, it will be the best camera, although much more expensive.
If you shoot a lot of wide angle stuff and very little telephoto, same answer.
If you like telephoto photography, the 1.6 of the 7D is going to bring you much closer without the added expense of longer lenses.
The 70D is a toy compared to the other two, although it does take good pictures. Also, it's not weather resistant like the others. My son has a 60D and it got splashed during a boat ride and hasn't been the same since. My 5D mk 1 has been through hell and back without incident. I want a mkIII but damn, this one keeps ticking.

Have you looked at the 6D?

Oh yeah, and upgrade to all L glass, you can thank me later!
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ETA....Thanks guys for the input, the 7dMKII really looks like the camera for me and to answer, I'm eying that B&H deal in time for Christmas shooting but I'm hoping to catch a similar deal for a factory refurb at $899 a few weeks back. If I did, I'd go ahead and buy another 'L' body for primary use.

View Quote

If you haven't picked one up yet, B&H has the 7Dii for $1,049 after a $350 rebate. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1176700-REG/canon_eos_7d_mark_ii.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you haven't picked one up yet, B&H has the 7Dii for $1,049 after a $350 rebate. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1176700-REG/canon_eos_7d_mark_ii.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a heck of a deal and very tempting.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not yet, I'll have a Christmas bonus burning a hole in my pocket in a couple of weeks. That's likely the way I go unless I can snag a deal on a refurb'ed 5D MKIII
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top