Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 12:47:55 PM EDT
Have a 16yr old who is really into taking pictures and video.  He has a MacBook computer and likes making videos and presentations.  I have a Nikon 5200 camera that he can use anytime, but he has expressed interest in the Go-Pro cameras.  I know next to nothing about them.

I would like to get him one for Christmas.  I am thinking about the Hero4 Silver.  That one at $329 is in the price range I'm thinking about.  Is there anything the Hero4 Black has function wise that would make it worth another $80?  Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks...!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a 16yr old who is really into taking pictures and video.  He has a MacBook computer and likes making videos and presentations.  I have a Nikon 5200 camera that he can use anytime, but he has expressed interest in the Go-Pro cameras.  I know next to nothing about them.

I would like to get him one for Christmas.  I am thinking about the Hero4 Silver.  That one at $329 is in the price range I'm thinking about.  Is there anything the Hero4 Black has function wise that would make it worth another $80?  Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks...!!
View Quote

If this is his first one, he's going to be happier with the Silver than the Black.  He may lose bragging rites due to it being not the most expensive (I know teenagers) but he's going to be able to do more with the Silver because of the screen.  I have one and the screen is invaluable for generalized shooting because you can frame things up much quicker.  With the Black, you'll need to connect it with your cell phone and go through the settings, which can sometimes be a pain, or you can wing it and take a chance on not getting the shot.

In other words, the Silver will be perfect for him.  You can spend the $80 on mounts, high-capacity SD cards, or even video software.  He's going to love it, provided he actually uses the thing.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Black may have more digital resolution, but the silver is a nice camera.  Get it and use the heck out of it.  You can use the money not spent on the black and buy accessories like mounts.  Lots od internet DIY poles and mounts you can make on the cheap.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up one, but the sound quality is horrid.

Olympus tg models are on my list of things to get.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Gopro cameras are great action cameras.

For every day video use, there are better choices out there.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gopro cameras are great action cameras.

For every day video use, there are better choices out there.

View Quote

What he said.

I use up to 4 GoPro Hero 3 Black version cameras while hunting for my website www.selfilmed.com The GoPros are great for secondary angles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
He has a really nice HD Cannon video camera.  He is a fire department explorer and is wanting to become a sheriffs department explorer.  He already makes all the videos for the end of the year awards program for the fire department.  He has borrowed one of these to do video at a structural burn and also to mount on apparatus while running calls.

I am SURE he will get a lot of use out of this.  Thinking I am going with the Silver 4.  Thank you all for your help.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sound quality is going to be bad due to the water proof case it comes in.  If you're shooting regular footage where you're not getting wet or the lens doesn't need to be protected, use one of these.  It keeps a slot open for the sound.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sound quality is going to be bad due to the water proof case it comes in.  If you're shooting regular footage where you're not getting wet or the lens doesn't need to be protected, use one of these.  It keeps a slot open for the sound.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  Ordered the Hero4 Silver yesterday.  I'll pick this up too...!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
If you need sound for Go Pro footage, just get a handheld audio recorder like the Zoom H1 with a plug in external mic and sync the audio in post with Plural Eyes. You never want to use the built-in mic on any camera for the primary audio.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you need sound for Go Pro footage, just get a handheld audio recorder like the Zoom H1 with a plug in external mic and sync the audio in post with Plural Eyes. You never want to use the built-in mic on any camera for the primary audio.
View Quote

Heck the built in mic on the H1 is pretty decent too.

Tascam DR-05 or DR-22 are other options for field recorders in the same price range.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tascam DR-05 or DR-22 are other options for field recorders in the same price range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the Sony PCM-M10.  Can probably get for $200-ish.  I'm sold on Sony for pro-sumer field recording, been using their gear since the days of the TC-D5 cassette recorder.  Here's mine in action.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top