Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 8:12:45 PM EDT
So my understanding is that the conversion removes the ir filter, and normal pictures will have a red hue, but the camera can take normal pictures if I use an IR-blocking filter, and nice IR pics if I use any grade IR pass filter.

This camera would not have an IR pass filter installed inside.

Anyone have experience?

I want to do a little IR photography because I live around some interesting places for it.

So would the full-spectrum be a good idea for a camera that could basically serve two functions, ie normal pics and IR pics?

I know I will need to by several different filters for the lenses I buy.

This would be a converted Sony A6000 mirrorless.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
are you in my mind?
I've been looking at IR camera stuff for two or three days straight now..
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering the cost of converting, you guys might want to look at the Fuji X-T1 that's built from the ground up as an IR camera.  

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4180583057/fujifilm-announces-x-t1-ir-for-infrared-photography
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've converted a few old Sony Cybershot cameras to IR for use in trailcameras for hunting but that's the extent of my knowledge.  You are correct that all images will have a red hue to them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I also converted an old Sony cybershot.

In addition to the IR pass-through filter, get a 92 'deep-red' filter for doing false-color IR shots.  This filter lets through just a little bit of the far red visible spectrum.

My straight IR filter is actually an extra sure-fire tac-light lens cap.

Eventually I'm going to get a full-spectrum DSLR.  I'd like to try some UV stuff too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top