Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2015 11:08:24 AM EDT
Quoted:
...The subject for Challenge #6 is......
     ISO Greater Than 1600

The directions are that you must shoot something that relates closely to the above words, that the viewer can easily interpret your work in the form of using ISO > 1600.  This could include anything in nature, sports, people, water drops falling, etc. that requires a high ISO.  

RULES:
1. You will have 2 WEEKS to produce your image. End Date is 30 NOVEMBER 2015
2. Only one image per person. Make it your best.    
3. If you are having problems technically or conceptually, you can post an in-progress image along with an appeal for the community to make suggestions on how to make it better
4. This is not a contest. There are no winners/losers. After your image is uploaded, the community can then critique in a constructive way. No assholish behavior when it comes to critiques. Likewise, anybody who has hurt feelings can be given virtual hugs as recompense.
4. Images have to be produced within the two-week time period. No reaching back to archives to find something you did 2mo ago and posting it up.
This goes with the philosophy that your last shot is the most important shot.
5.  OLD RULE:  You must critique the previous photo before you can post yours.  The first to post a photo obviously doesn't have to critique, but it is appreciated that they do so on the last photo posted in the contest.

If you see a photo that hasn't been critiqued, feel free to do so as we are all learning.

P.S. If you already know exactly what you're going to shoot, still take some time before posting it. Do some research and really think about it, or go shoot it twice. If 2wks is too long, we will shorten it down to 1, but that will be voted on. GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]

I'm not so sure I'll find anything that really "requires" high ISO, but I'll certainly post  up something that was done with a higher ISO.

I can't help but think this was somehow prompted in part by my discussion thread on this topic.

here for anyone that hasn't seen it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, some I shot today.

Honeywell and NASA presented their Hip Hop Science Series at Albritton Middle School on Fort Bragg today. Forces in Motion, Newton’s three laws of motion were examined and explored in song, dance and demonstrations involving the students and faculty of Albritton Middle School, and visiting Stuttgart Elementary School.

2000 ISO

20,000 ISO

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, some I shot today.

Honeywell and NASA presented their Hip Hop Science Series at Albritton Middle School on Fort Bragg today. Forces in Motion, Newton’s three laws of motion were examined and explored in song, dance and demonstrations involving the students and faculty of Albritton Middle School, and visiting Stuttgart Elementary School.

2000 ISO

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12194818_1142288749126416_207475614353711794_o.jpg

20,000 ISO

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12095170_1142292139126077_6637182583759160231_o.jpg

View Quote

What camera and lens?
What were the exposure settings?
How much noise reduction was done in the post processing?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What camera and lens?
What were the exposure settings?
How much noise reduction was done in the post processing?
View Quote

Sorry,

Nikon D4s 24-70 2.8

First photo 70mm f /4.5  1/250  ISO 2000

Second photo 24 mm f /5.6 1/125  ISO 20000

Photojournalist so; Shot in RAW, crop, basic tonal adjustment, midrange in curves, color correction, dodge/burn. No noise reduction, No sharpening on these although some will be applied when set into indesign for printing.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]

I really liked the photos from the science deal. I am very impressed with how little noise their is vs. my photos. I would like to see what the first one would have looked like a little closer without as much dead space on the stage to the right of the frame. At the same time, I'm not sure I would like that because you won't get the audience in there either.

I snuck up on my wife and child while they were napping tonight. 70D with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 on it. ISO 12800 and F4 for a 60th. Only adjusted the WB and the sharpening mask.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
hopefully i'll get in on this one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess I can comment on my own shots.  I shoot wide on those so that the design/layout people can have room to work. While I an violently opposed to text, headlines, or graphics  on photos, I also understand where I am working and that is how they like to work.
So you would shoot wide overalls, and closer details. Those were both wider shots.
Grain is a fact of life with High ISO. The new cameras have made shooting in low lighting possible in a way film never could. But the second you start cropping in you will see the grain (noise) pop up.
If I cropped down the first shot to just the girl in the white square, in print it would look like it was made of golf balls.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
since this is not moving very quick I am going to break the rules and post something from my last trip which was less than a month ago. I will post one here in the next week that is within the timeframe. I just wanted to help get the thread moving.

ModelNIKON D810
ISO4000
Exposure1/80 sec
Aperture4.0
Focal Length14mm

Bass Pro in Memphis

As for for the previous image. I find that if I am doing candids like that I like to over expose just a little to smooth out skin tones.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
ok.. Got off my butt and made a shot fitting all the rules

Model NIKON D810
ISO 4000
Exposure 1/8000 sec
Aperture 6.3
Focal Length 105mm
Using three Dynalite heads to give me enough light in the sink to get a good exposure.

And..... Go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PS9ZgtBs0lA/Vk33WNnhP_I/AAAAAAAAWN0/-m5yfroKdS0/s720-Ic42/_CJM7773-2.jpg

Model NIKON D810
ISO 4000
Exposure 1/8000 sec
Aperture 6.3
Focal Length 105mm
Using three Dynalite heads to give me enough light in the sink to get a good exposure.

And..... Go.
View Quote

I don't want to derail the thread, but was just curious to see how you like your dynalites?  I've been considering getting a pack and some heads for some time to replace my white lightnings, just curious to see the light they put out.  Unfortunately, the work I do requires 1000ws or more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't want to derail the thread, but was just curious to see how you like your dynalites?  I've been considering getting a pack and some heads for some time to replace my white lightnings, just curious to see the light they put out.  Unfortunately, the work I do requires 1000ws or more.
View Quote

Love em.

I have had this set up for about 20 years and it has served me well.  One of the older power packs that is only 1000ws not like the newer 1600 ones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PS9ZgtBs0lA/Vk33WNnhP_I/AAAAAAAAWN0/-m5yfroKdS0/s720-Ic42/_CJM7773-2.jpg

Model NIKON D810

ISO 4000

Exposure 1/8000 sec

Aperture 6.3

Focal Length 105mm

And..... Go.
View Quote
I like the shot.

I might shoot it a touch tighter and maybe shown only one drop. The only other thing that I can mention is that the sink, although represented well in the photo, feels like it should be a bit more exposed.

Here is mine.

I thought the perfect subject for this would be a small, tired child in a poorly lit room with the TV on. Reason being , he moves. A lot.

D4

50mm 1.4

3200 ISO

1/80

f1.4

A little noise reduction.

The hardest part is that the room has three different color lights along with the TV on.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
^^^
Kid pics are great, typical focused look of one watching TV.  
Three lights you say? I can see the complexity of the lighting issue in the skin tones...not that I could fix that. But...maybe paint the walls a more neutral color...

I tried to get some shots all day Saturday...beautiful sunny Saturday in Portland. Caught this dumpster diver outside a school gym where my daughter was playing volleyball...
Nikon D3300
1/320 f/5.6
200mm at 3200 ISO
Little sharpening and hue adjust in Lightzone

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Well hell, Durka, this is right up my alley.

Of course, being a challenge, maybe I ought to try to step outside the box and shoot something OTHER THAN the night sky.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well hell, Durka, this is right up my alley.

Of course, being a challenge, maybe I ought to try to step outside the box and shoot something OTHER THAN the night sky.
View Quote

I'm in the middle of a house remodel and don't even know if I'll get a chance to do THIS one either.  

I DID take a simple shot of the room, though in 3200 ISO.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#16]

canon G1X

M 1/6th at f2.8

iso 4000

handheld

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#17]
ETA, me likey the punkin, though I'm not so sure it was taken after November 16.  Candle is a little blown out; I might boost saturation a bit, crop out some of the deck area, and get the camera right down on the rail for an upwards angle shot, but considering the nature of the challenge, good work.  Particularly for a handheld 1/6 exposure!!

Hah!  The power of ARFoto must have been channeling me on my recent hunt trip.  I have two entries for this challenge, taken during the challenge period, but without my knowledge of what the challenge was!

First up is the clock tower on the town square in Clay Center, KS, illuminated with festive colors.
50 mm, 1/60, f/5, ISO2000

Next up are the runway lights of the Clay Center aerodrome, er airport.  What you see is what you get, typical county strip.
105 mm, 1/40, f/5.6, ISO2000

So, outside the box I is.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Not really an entry, but relevant to the challenge.

_DSC0048 by Zack, on Flickr

ISO 7200.

If I can't get something better between now and sunday, this'll have to be my entry but I've got a few ideas.

ETA: This one's just for fun, because I can.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Bring on challenge #8....shadows?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top