Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2015 10:00:20 AM EDT
When do you call it a night? What do you use to protect your gear when it's really coming down.

I was at a football playoff game last night and I stayed for pretty much the duration even though it was cats and dogs. I'll try to get up a photo that shows it off a little. I did get some great images that I would not have otherwise had should I have turned tail.

I was shooting with a 70D and a 70-200 F2.8L I know the lens is "weather sealed", but I haven't the foggiest what that really means.

I believe this photo is pretty much straight out of the camera. I chose it mainly due to the rain showing well on it, and not because it was one of the best shots.

IMG_2974

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]

that is a great picture!

It captured the feel of the game perfect!

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a weather-sealed body and lenses so that light rain is not really a concern. If it's pouring out, I also have protective "bags" that cinch around the lens and cover the bulk of the lens and the entire body.

I give up when it's uncomfortable for me. Like most things, I am the weak link in the system.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for the link. That was some good reading.

I should mention that I did get a big garbage bag from the concession stand to use over the camera when it really started coming down. I don't think I stated that in the OP.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]

They've come down over the years, or have started making simpler ones than the $50 they used to have.  I've never had one, but needed one on a few occasions.  The weak link - when it comes to the camera, not the photographer - is the lens getting wet.  If using wide lenses, it's a PITA to keep it dry through a rain.  Lately, I've been using a mashup of a ball cap and something soft to rest on the top of the lens like a rag.  Tele's are much easier since you can just use garbage bag material or a glad-loc bag.  

I need to get something a bit more put-together lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When do you call it a night? What do you use to protect your gear when it's really coming down.

I was at a football playoff game last night and I stayed for pretty much the duration even though it was cats and dogs. I'll try to get up a photo that shows it off a little. I did get some great images that I would not have otherwise had should I have turned tail.

I was shooting with a 70D and a 70-200 F2.8L I know the lens is "weather sealed", but I haven't the foggiest what that really means.

I believe this photo is pretty much straight out of the camera. I chose it mainly due to the rain showing well on it, and not because it was one of the best shots.
View Quote

Nice shot for the rain.

If you are wanting a raincoat, so is the camera. While my Nikon D700 and 70-200mm are "weather sealed", I like the Storm Jacket I have for it. The pro version has a velcro opening on the bottom so that you can manipulate the lens as needed.
http://www.stormjacket.com/SJ1.html
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the links guys. While the trash bag worked well, I think something purchased may be in order to make things a little less bulky. I'll definitely check that out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Think tank makes great rain gear.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]

You laugh, but that's a great idea.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#13]

I don't know if you've seen these yet, but someone from dog sport had posted a video awhile back of one and they look quite handy.

Roomy enough for a chair, tripod, gear, and cooler of adult beverages...

A tad better option than the wee little hobbit umbrella.

Under the Weather single person  tent

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx343/mookamae/UndertheWeathertent_zpsftclaigt.jpg

I don't know if you've seen these yet, but someone from dog sport had posted a video awhile back of one and they look quite handy.

View Quote

I've got something like that for hunting deer that I've always thought I would take out if I were to go birding with the camera.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:13:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've got something like that for hunting deer that I've always thought I would take out if I were to go birding with the camera.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx343/mookamae/UndertheWeathertent_zpsftclaigt.jpg

I got a cheap one specifically for hiding out and shooting birds. It works pretty well.

Well enough I had a bird trying to get in there with me last time I used it
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I got a cheap one specifically for hiding out and shooting birds. It works pretty well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For birds I use a pop up ground blind that is more enclosed than the one shown.

Something more like this
http://www.amazon.com/Evolved-Ingenuity-1RX2S010-Hunting-Doghouse/dp/B00GVKSY56/
It has windows with screens that can be opened and closed on all four sides that makes you very hard to see from outside.  It is marketed for bow hunting. It can be a little restricting, but if you have a specific direction/area (especially with feeders) you are shooting in then it works well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Something more like this

http://www.amazon.com/Evolved-Ingenuity-1RX2S010-Hunting-Doghouse/dp/B00GVKSY56/

It has windows with screens that can be opened and closed on all four sides that makes you very hard to see from outside.  It is marketed for bow hunting. It can be a little restricting, but if you have a specific direction/area (especially with feeders) you are shooting in then it works well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something more like this

That's very similar to what I have. Now to lug it out of the basement and do some all weather birding...
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got this one.

Is it perfect? No, but for under $30 what do you expect?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pop-Up-Ground-Hunting-Blind/36545736
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#19]
This is one of my favorite sites for birding and wildlife photography.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/176-Avian-Image-of-the-Week
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Some times you just get wet.

Second Lt. Ashley LeBaube, of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 20th Combat Support Hospital awaits results after testing for the Expert Field Medical Badge, at Fort Bragg’s Medical Simulation Training Center,

I was out a couple of hours with the Cadre and candidates who were trying to get the Expert Field Medical Badge. You go where the photos are, and some days that is in the rain.
The lens eventually fogged to the point that I couldn't shoot. I have seen people rubber band attach those flat chemical hand warmers to the sides of the lens to slightly warm it so it doesn't fog. I am going to have to try that out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy Pentax. Do your research on Pentax being weather/environment resistant and decide.

I realize most here shoot CaNikon so enjoy the photo.

Canon vs. Nikon (and Pentax) by Styrmir Kári, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I have used zip lock bags on many occasions and never had any problems with leakage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top