Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2015 10:02:19 PM EDT
I'm always so careful with my gear.  But my husband came in from the backyard and handed me the bag I keep one of my lenses in and asked how long it had been left out on the deck.  I almost fainted.  

It has water all inside it.    I'm pretty sure the last time I had it out there was Sunday.  3+ days it sat out there and got soaked in the rain.  I'm bringing it into the store tomorrow but my gut tells me it's ruined.  

I could kick my own ass right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ouch.

Hopefully the water didn't get into the lens.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
What lens?

Some are far more resilient than others.

If it's an older lens with minimal electronics, it's probably fine.

If it's a newer lens with weather sealing and the caps were on, probably fine.

If it was a recent kit lens with little protection, eh..I'd be worried.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the lens is ruined, but you buy a new lens. Sometime during some day, you take a picture. The picture captured a moment that was inexplicably beautiful.

It'd be worth it then, eh?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm always so careful with my gear.  But my husband came in from the backyard and handed me the bag I keep one of my lenses in and asked how long it had been left out on the deck.  I almost fainted.  

It has water all inside it.    I'm pretty sure the last time I had it out there was Sunday.  3+ days it sat out there and got soaked in the rain.  I'm bringing it into the store tomorrow but my gut tells me it's ruined.  

I could kick my own ass right now.
View Quote

Not as bad as this guy:

http://petapixel.com/2015/09/26/how-destroying-my-new-1600-canon-l-lens-made-my-month/
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would putting it in a bag of rice help?
View Quote

That's a myth.  Worse than just sitting in open air
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, there are water droplets all inside it.  When I took off the mount end cap about a teaspoon of water came pouring out.  

I just feel like a big steaming pile.  I don't work and my husband indulges me in my hobby.  Everything I have has been because he took the time and spent the money to go buy me these things.    I only have one lens that I researched and decided I wanted on my own.  Everything else has been all him.  

It's a 50mm 1.4----the very first lens he got me.  I know that life happens and everything but I'm just beside myself.  It wasn't even something understandable like fumbling with it and dropping it.  Just sheer forgetfulness and head up ass syndrome.  

I've had it wrapped in a towel and set to drain since he found it.  I do like the images from the dropped lens that were posted.  Maybe I'll see what this can do before I bring it in just in case.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have some silica gel lieing around? If you do put it in a Baggie with the lens for a few days. It's very helpful if the silica has been freshly dryed. The idea is to have something that'll absorb the moisture. Sorry but wrapping the lens in a towel isn't sufficient. If you warm the lens 'slightly' that'll help drive the moisture out also.

Lens's get soaked sometimes. It happens sadly. If you do a search on dedicated photo forums there's tons of threads on ways to dry them out. Sometimes they wrk and the lens works perfectly. Worth a shot. Try fredmiranda or dpreview. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Ugh, you can dry it but you will have water spots on the lens.  

I'm spitballing but I am thinking about if you could immerse it in a cup of rubbing alcohol so it fills up and mixes with the water inside.  Take it out and drain it good, and put it in a food dehydrator or similar jury rigged fan set up.  The downside is you may affect coatings on the lens, you might cause lube on the adjustments to migrate.  

I am guessing it'll cost as much as buying another lens to have a camera tech disassemble and clean and reassemble. Maybe not though,  Make the call to a shop and see what they say.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, the towel thing was the first thing I saw about drying out a lens.  I'll say it doesn't look any better this morning than it did right when he brought it in.  

I'm about to see if it even tries to work when mounted.  

Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah, the towel thing was the first thing I saw about drying out a lens.  I'll say it doesn't look any better this morning than it did right when he brought it in.  

View Quote
Be careful mounting it if its still wet...wouldn't want it to hurt the cameras electronics.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Be careful mounting it if its still wet...wouldn't want it to hurt the cameras electronics.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The connections were dry by then.  AF didn't even try to work.  

My love brought it in and they're sending it off for a repair estimate.  He also came home with a camera bag large enough to hold all of my lenses so something like this doesn't happen again.  He's way too good for me.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The connections were dry by then.  AF didn't even try to work.  

My love brought it in and they're sending it off for a repair estimate.  He also came home with a camera bag large enough to hold all of my lenses so something like this doesn't happen again.  He's way too good for me.  
View Quote

Buy him a new 1911 & call it even, eh?

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, there are water droplets all inside it.  When I took off the mount end cap about a teaspoon of water came pouring out.  

I just feel like a big steaming pile.  I don't work and my husband indulges me in my hobby.  Everything I have has been because he took the time and spent the money to go buy me these things.    I only have one lens that I researched and decided I wanted on my own.  Everything else has been all him.  

It's a 50mm 1.4----the very first lens he got me.  I know that life happens and everything but I'm just beside myself.  It wasn't even something understandable like fumbling with it and dropping it.  Just sheer forgetfulness and head up ass syndrome.  

I've had it wrapped in a towel and set to drain since he found it.  I do like the images from the dropped lens that were posted.  Maybe I'll see what this can do before I bring it in just in case.  

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/3bedaf54-67fc-499d-820f-ac4bf3645fbd_zpsukz3mrnm.jpg
View Quote

If he loves you enough to buy you these lenses he loves you enough to replace one when an accident happens.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The guys on digital rev soaked a 70D(I think) in distilled water after getting normal water in it, before letting it dry out and it worked again. I think you'll be able to save this thing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#16]
My love gave me my Christmas present tonight.  

He had it in the same box my old one came in.  I was tickled pink just that it was being replaced but then I noticed the upgrade.  He's amazeballs.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn! That's a nice lens!
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:09:58 AM EDT
[#18]
if this is your first red line lens, prepare to be amazed
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm excited to play with it tomorrow.  

It's not my first L but I was certainly amazed the first time I used one.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My love gave me my Christmas present tonight.  

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/7464dad8-b4a2-49dd-9918-9a4d547a0cda_zpshaucsqwp.jpg

He had it in the same box my old one came in.  I was tickled pink just that it was being replaced but then I noticed the upgrade.  He's amazeballs.  

View Quote

Shazam!!  Maybe you need to leave your lenses out in the rain more often
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm excited to play with it tomorrow.  

It's not my first L but I was certainly amazed the first time I used one.  
View Quote

Dang, he really likes you.

Post some pics, after you get a chance to play with it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally had a few minutes to drag the new lens out.  Kids aren't home, dogs aren't cooperating so I grabbed a model who will sit still and not give me any grief.  

Wide open for the bokeh.  

I was at minimum focusing distance so super soft around the edges.  

Curious as to the practical applications of the 50mm.  My previous one was the least used lens I have as I hadn't really worked out the niche it's for.  I'm determined to put this one to more use.

ETA   I guess I could have dusted it off first.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#23]
The 50mm's intended use depends on what camera you have and whether or not it's a crop sensor.

If it's full frame, the 50mm is considered a 'normal' lens that more or less replicates the human eye's field of view.

If it's a crop sensor, it's at the short end of a good portrait lens. Handy for all sorts of things. A 35mm is considered a 'normal' lens for Nikon crops. I know canon is a different crop factor, 1.6 I believe so their 'normal' for crop sensors might be different.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
a nifty fifty is my go
We are having a baby and need a lens set up

wide open, no flash, lots o pix
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
a nifty fifty is my go We are having a baby and need a lens set up

View Quote

She's rocking a nifty fifty++

The 1.4

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The 50mm's intended use depends on what camera you have and whether or not it's a crop sensor.

If it's full frame, the 50mm is considered a 'normal' lens that more or less replicates the human eye's field of view.

If it's a crop sensor, it's at the short end of a good portrait lens. Handy for all sorts of things. A 35mm is considered a 'normal' lens for Nikon crops. I know canon is a different crop factor, 1.6 I believe so their 'normal' for crop sensors might be different.
View Quote

It's a crop sensor.  I have aspirations of upgrading to the 5D Mark III.  (swoon)

I know the 85mm is THE lens for portraiture but I've been very pleasantly surprised at my 100mm 2.8L macro and what it does for portraits.  I didn't intend it for that but I'll be darned if it doesn't work beautifully.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really wish I'd had the ability and the gear when mine were babies.  Of course then I wouldn't have had the time.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The 1.4

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 1.4

Actually, that's the one that got ruined.  

This is the 1.2L.  Not only do I leave my lens out in the rain but he gets me a better camera bag so it doesn't happen again AND an upgraded lens.  I must have been a saint in another life for him to marry me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#29]
My youngest agreed to work with me yesterday but said she'd only give me 10 minutes.  

The first five were spent with me trying to explain that when she tries to position herself where she thinks she should be she winds up with giraffe neck and her arguing that she thinks she should be able to see herself in the lens and that's why she moves that way.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My youngest agreed to work with me yesterday but said she'd only give me 10 minutes.  

The first five were spent with me trying to explain that when she tries to position herself where she thinks she should be she winds up with giraffe neck and her arguing that she thinks she should be able to see herself in the lens and that's why she moves that way.  

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/IMG_2668_zpsqqfry4gb.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/IMG_2671_zpstrot1bcp.jpg
View Quote

Nice job, she'll cherish these in years to come. She's a cutie.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/IMG_2668_zpsqqfry4gb.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/IMG_2671_zpstrot1bcp.jpg
View Quote

I like the first one, got a really cool feel to it.  

I'll have to post pics of my son at some point to see what you think,  although I think they are on facebook so you could probably see them there too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top