Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2015 11:09:53 AM EDT
I started with DSLRs a while back with one of the Canon Rebels and it has done all I want it to up to this point.  I am now finding that I want to improve my high speed shooting and low light with something that will support better ISO speeds and as an added bonus, has video capability.  I think I want to move up to a full frame body as well.  I want to go with used or refurb, since well, I am a cheap bastard ;)

So, what do you guys recommend I focus my search on in the Canon line up? (I am not interested in switching due to all the lenses I would need to replace).  Any other features I should be looking for?

Thanks,

HaM

Picture tax.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about Canon cameras but I can say that for people to recommend you an upgrade, it's best to tell what you're currently using.

A little info about the lenses you have and the intended use for the camera can be useful as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought did, I have an older Rebel, think it is an XSI.  I need a camera that will shoot high speed and low light shots well.  I have a couple prime lenses, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm.  Zooms 28-75mm, 70-200mm, 70-300mm and a few kit lenses.  Not sure why my lens selection would affect the choice that much.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought did, I have an older Rebel, think it is an XSI.  I need a camera that will shoot high speed and low light shots well.  I have a couple prime lenses, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm.  Zooms 28-75mm, 70-200mm, 70-300mm and a few kit lenses.  Not sure why my lens selection would affect the choice that much.
View Quote

It's about background information. Trying to figure out what problem you're having and what new camera will most adequately help you to solve it.

Anyone can tell you to just go buy the latest and greatest full frame camera, but it may well be overkill for what you're wanting to do.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
What is your budget?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The 5D Mark III is pretty much what you want. Definitely go used on it, because the 5D3 is a 3 year old body and in the blind roadmap that is Canon, there's probably a good chance a new model will supercede the 5D3 in the next year. Granted, the 5DS / 5DS R came out recently, but the 5D3 still has better low light than the 5DS line due to pixel density. There is the theory that a 5D Mark IV will not be released, and that the 5DS is going to be the next in the 5D generation, and what the 5D3 was will be forked over to the 6D or the 1D.

Anyway, get a used 5D3 and be happy. Unless Canon releases a new full frame dSLR with a Sony sensor, I don't think there will be another "prosumer" Canon dSLR worth buying.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Canon has factory refurb 5D3s with factory warranties on them.  Good price too.  Canonusa.com.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I started with DSLRs a while back with one of the Canon Rebels and it has done all I want it to up to this point.  I am now finding that I want to improve my high speed shooting and low light with something that will support better ISO speeds and as an added bonus, has video capability.  I think I want to move up to a full frame body as well.  I want to go with used or refurb, since well, I am a cheap bastard ;)

So, what do you guys recommend I focus my search on in the Canon line up? (I am not interested in switching due to all the lenses I would need to replace).  Any other features I should be looking for?

Thanks,

HaM

Picture tax.

http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/external/9599170_6763405_247282610_Web_2/0_0_a7925d5251a5d59529c16a5cbbca01b4_1
View Quote

crop sensor:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_70d

full frame:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_6d
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#8]
5D3 if you can afford it.

6d or 7d should be fine too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top