Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 12:58:18 AM EDT
Ok, I took a bunch of subject matter, some of which was PM'd to me, some of which I took ideas from the Photo Day picture thread, to judge what you guys were interested in.  Nothing too fancy this time around, but in the future if this takes off I'd like to explore concepts along with general subject matter.  I took 16 subjects and put them in a beer mug and randomly picked a one....

...The subject for Challenge #1 is......
SHOOT THROUGH

The only further direction I will give on this is that to take from the words what you will try to interpret it into the best image you can imagine and produce.

RULES:
1.  You will have 2 WEEKS to produce your image.  End Date is 6 SEPTEMBER 2015
2.  Only one image per person.  Make it your best.
3.  If you are having problems technically or conceptually, you can post an in-progress image along with an appeal for the community to make suggestions on how to make it better
4.  This is not a contest.  There are no winners/losers.  After your image is uploaded, the community can then critique in a constructive way.  No assholish behavior when it comes to critiques.  Likewise, anybody who has hurt feelings can be given virtual hugs as recompense.  
4.  Images have to be produced within the two-week time period.  No reaching back to archives to find something you did 2yrs ago and posting it up.  This goes with the philosophy that your last shot is the most important shot.

P.S.  If you already know exactly what you're going to shoot, still take some time before posting it.  Do some research and really think about it, or go shoot it twice.  If 2wks is too long, we will shorten it down to 1, but that will be voted on.  GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I may!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I was out shooting this morning for the challenge.  Absolutely gorgeous day.  I was filming the mountains through a railroad bridge, doing both still and video with my DJI Phantom 3.  I was going back and forth.  Decided to try going under the bridge backwards.  Mis-calculated and ran straight into one of the pylons.  SMACK-splash.   Spent the rest of the morning renting a Stand-Up paddleboard and attempting to fish it out of the water, with no luck.  Spending the rest of the afternoon drinking.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was out shooting this morning for the challenge.  Absolutely gorgeous day.  I was filming the mountains through a railroad bridge, doing both still and video with my DJI Phantom 3.  I was going back and forth.  Decided to try going under the bridge backwards.  Mis-calculated and ran straight into one of the pylons.  SMACK-splash.   Spent the rest of the morning renting a Stand-Up paddleboard and attempting to fish it out of the water, with no luck.  Spending the rest of the afternoon drinking.  
View Quote

Well, that sucks.  Insurance going to be able to help recover the equipment costs?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]

That's a bummer.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, that sucks.  Insurance going to be able to help recover the equipment costs?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't even know if I'm going to pursue it.  The deductible may not even cover it and it'll make our insurance go up.  I'm just going to take the hit and learn a hard lesson.  On top of it all I got turned down for another job I was seeking today.  Maybe I'll get a blessing by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't even know if I'm going to pursue it.  The deductible may not even cover it and it'll make our insurance go up.  I'm just going to take the hit and learn a hard lesson.  On top of it all I got turned down for another job I was seeking today.  Maybe I'll get a blessing by the end of the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best wishes.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I took this one a couple nights ago with my 400mm f/5.6L. "Shooting through" the atmosphere and all that empty space.

400mm is not quite enough reach so this is pretty heavy crop.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I took this one a couple nights ago with my 400mm f/5.6L. "Shooting through" the atmosphere and all that empty space.

http://i.imgur.com/OcTgIl6.jpg?1
View Quote

Awesome Poo, I was worried I was going to be the first.  
Damn, that's still sharp, for a heavy crop.  What was your shutter speed?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Total newb and probably under gunned with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 but may give this a shot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/OcTgIl6.jpg?1

1/1000 at 5.6 and ISO 1600

I didn't want to be the first either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Total newb and probably under gunned with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 but may give this a shot.
View Quote

Skill > camera
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

No way, this is more of a "members helping members" kind of challenge.  No judging but constructive critiques are welcome.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, here's my entry.  The concept was to be looking at a gun-toter through the perspective of the target.  I decided to use the wife instead of someone who knows how to handle a gun.  She's not the best at modeling, but was all I had to work with at the moment.  If I had to do it all over again, I would've punched a bigger hole in a larger piece of paper, and stand back a bit so that I could have gotten the tears in focus a bit more.  I also would've found something to burn and make "smoke" come out of the barrel.  

I used a cross lighting technique where I had a White Lightning x3200 w/ softbox set to 1/4 power as the main light, and a canon 430ex set to 1/2 power as the "kicker" in the back.  I wanted to use another light behind and camera right of the model to give some separation, but it wasn't working for some reason.  

Canon 5D Mark II with 70-200mm 2.8 lens.  Lens setting at around 70mm, exposure: 1/30 @ f16.
PhotoChallenge01 by Durka-Durka, on Flickr

lighting-diagram-1440701081 by Durka-Durka, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, it seems that Durka-Durka and I have the same basic idea for the shot.  I'm still working on my version, however.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well, it seems that Durka-Durka and I have the same basic idea for the shot.  I'm still working on my version, however.
View Quote
Same, except I'm probably going to build a Camera Axe and a buy shit load of plate glass to get what I have in my head into pixels.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Skill > camera
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Skill > camera

Then I am well and truly fooked!  

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Skill > camera

Join in!  Have fun, and maybe learn something.

Not all of us here are pros.  And speaking for myself, my long-term hobbyist status needs serious improvement.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Same, except I'm probably going to build a Camera Axe and a buy shit load of plate glass to get what I have in my head into pixels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool.  Can't wait to see what others can produce.  Mine could definitely have used some improvement.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going to play... and I've got almost no clue what I'm doing at this point.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Not enough time to do what I wanted to do, so I went a different route.  The only thing I don't like is the reflection in the mirror, but cropping it out causes the image to loose a lot of what I like, converging lines; it also throws the balance off quite a bit.
Gopro 4 Black, ISO 100, post processed in Snapseed on my cell phone just for poops and giggles.  Pretty impressed with the application, Google clearly used much of the Nik plugins as a base for Snapseed.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Shoot through, ok. I shoot through this green stuff in the swamp to take a picture of this bird.

DSC_5822 by Zack, on Flickr

more pics from swamp trip here
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
this lily was tucked away in some underbrush next to a tree.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody see bing's homepage pic today? Excellent example of shoot through or framing in composition
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Shot through a massive monsoon storm.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's my entry.  I tried to exploit the ambiguity of "Shoot Through" on several levels:  Shoot through the hole, shoot through the paper, shoot is through as in finished.

I shot the hole at 50 yards from sitting with the Benjamin Armada .25 caliber air rifle while wearing the shooting coat in the pic.  I did have to move the sights by one minute left and then up to get a large enough hole.  The hole is a total of 65 shots.   The flyers were somewhat deliberate in that I was not as careful as normal while shooting.   The scuba tank is for filling the rifle.

I had to move the target closer than 50 yards to get the framing better.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here's my entry.  I tried to exploit the ambiguity of "Shoot Through" on several levels:  Shoot through the hole, shoot through the paper, shoot is through as in finished.

I shot the hole at 50 yards from sitting with the Benjamin Armada .25 caliber air rifle while wearing the shooting coat in the pic.  I did have to move the sights by one minute left and then up to get a large enough hole.  The hole is a total of 65 shots.   The flyers were somewhat deliberate in that I was not as careful as normal while shooting.   The scuba tank is for filling the rifle.

I had to move the target closer than 50 yards to get the framing better.  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=80188
View Quote

Awesome shot.  Much better holes than mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Cool shot.  Almost has an ominous feel to it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Getting close to the end of Challenge #1

Let's hear some critiques of the existing photos
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#31]
OK, my entry.  Serendipity smiled on me; took this shot 8/27.

Shooting the moon through the rotor.

1/100, f/5.6, 92mm, ISO125

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=80182
View Quote
DS,

Great shot, the only critique I would suggest to improve is related to framing and composition.  A slight alignment to level the horizon for starters, and the town lights I would crop out.  This is how I may have framed the shot in post, maybe even extend the crop to the bottom of frame to bring the water tower into the 2nd thirds of the right third of frame.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
DS,
Great shot, the only critique I would suggest to improve is related to framing and composition.  A slight alignment to level the horizon for starters, and the town lights I would crop out.  This is how I may have framed the shot in post, maybe even extend the crop to the bottom of frame to bring the water tower into the 2nd thirds of the right third of frame.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/681/20939347338_ee247e3bca_o.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=80182
DS,

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/681/20939347338_ee247e3bca_o.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't pay too much attention to the horizon as I was more bothered by the corner distortion. I really wanted a tighter lens, but with the storm all around I opted to go wide and up my odds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I spotted this lady a few weeks back perched on the flower waiting on dinner.
When I found her again last weekend she had been busy homemaking.
This is the JPG but I do have the RAW if anyone has any recommendations on cleaning it up.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I wasn't going to post anything, because I'm not really sure I like this picture. But, the challenge did get me to pick up my camera, so here you go.  Shoot through.....get it?

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I know I'm way late, but I caught the sun finally coming through the clouds today on the way home. I learned something and kind of like this photo even though it's really bad.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134900715@N08/shares/m88737
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Very cool.

I like it a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top