Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2015 8:29:23 AM EDT
Yes, yes we can!

I found an old manual 2x teleconverter for a song and thought it might be a quick and easy way to get 2:1 or better when paired up with my 105mm, since the 105D won't mount to the tc-20EIII but the 105G will -wtf, nikon?

Anyways some of you will remember a long while back I did a few shots of coins and paper money using my extenders and nifty fifty.

To test out this setup I did a few similar shots with the 105mm, old 2x teleconverter, and my ring flash adapter.

These images are uncropped. Straight out of the camera, just cleaned up a bit and converted in lightroom to JPG.

DSC_5344 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_5345 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_5346 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_5347 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_5350 by Zack, on Flickr

I post most of my pic threads in GD but since this is more on the tech side of things, it belongs here.

Thoughts on this setup?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a few from the nifty 50 as a comparison. Not an exact shot for shot deal but a few similarly uncropped images.

DSC_2801 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_2799 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_2806 by Zack, on Flickr

Winner = Nikon 105 + 2x tele for any number of reasons. Magnification, sharpness, clarity, resolution, color, contrast, on and on.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty neat. Now get out there and get some more of those cool shots of bugs you've been getting.

Sent you a PM with some macro questions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Great job on the lighting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great job on the lighting.
View Quote

Thanks! I have to admit I kinda cheated on the lighting.

Seriously. This thing makes it easy.

See this thread for more info about it and other macro stuff.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting setup, how do you know if the ray flash will fit ur camera and flash? Is there a chart?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice! How well does that setup work with more depth? All of those are relatively flat, mind posting some pictures with a little more distance front to back?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting setup, how do you know if the ray flash will fit ur camera and flash? Is there a chart?
View Quote

This is the Rayflash 2. There are 2 variants of it. Short and long. Try this, if your camera and flash combo can't be found on this chart here not sure:

https://www.expoimaging.com/product-detail.php?cat_id=8&product_id=35&keywords=Ray_Flash_2:_Universal_Ring_Flash_Adapter
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very nice! How well does that setup work with more depth? All of those are relatively flat, mind posting some pictures with a little more distance front to back?
View Quote

Quite a few of the pictures in my big macro thread in GD were lit with this thing. Here's a few out of the 105 folder. Depth isn't really much of a thing with macro, but here we go.

DSC_4669 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_4680 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_4699 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_4788 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_4832 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_4901 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_4971 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_5064 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_5072 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_5079 by Zack, on Flickr

You can tell I like the compound eyes on the bugs

But this is pretty cool too:

DSC_5091 by Zack, on Flickr

We can get a LOT closer:

DSC_5108 by Zack, on Flickr

DSC_5126 by Zack, on Flickr

Yeah, big picture dump.

If these aren't sufficient for what you're trying to do, give me an example and I'll get out and shoot somethin for ya.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah, I didn't realize the pictures in that thread were with the teleconverter setup with your 105mm. Nice.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah, I didn't realize the pictures in that thread were with the teleconverter setup with your 105mm. Nice.
View Quote

I thought you were asking about the light like the last guy.

Yeah, some are some aren't.

The biggest issue aside from the manual focus thing is adding the teleconverter cuts the depth of field in half, and it was already tiny to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Good stuff Zack3g, U and I are running almost the same setup minus the TC. Love that gecko catching the dragon fly picture, that is awesome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top