Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 7:51:30 AM EDT
I've tried many different lenses, smallest aperture, long exposures, 4,6, and 8 point star filters and I just cannot get any pronounced diffraction spikes.

The star filters don't even appear to work.
I wanted to stack some images of various constellations using the diffraction spikes in some of the images to make the brighter stars more pronounced.
Ideas on how to achieve this effect?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop down to F/32.  Or the smallest aperture your lens has.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Still not working. Going to try various meshes etc. in front of the lens.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The construction of your lens is also a contributing factor.  The number of aperture blades and the focal length will affect the the number of "spikes".

Lots of info on the internet about this subject.  Here is a quick tutorial.

http://www.slrlounge.com/school/diffraction-aperture-and-starburst-effects/
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I will try and shoot a few tonight and report back with settings.

No special filters or anything are required.

I think the 17-55 2.8 will be a fine lens for this, but as a laugh, I'm going to also use my 105mm (since it can stop down stupid low) just to see what happens.

Edit: It's nasty outside tonight. I'll try again tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll fake it with an incandescent.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I was able to get a decent starburst effect. I had a butler creek flip cover that was just the right size for most of my lenses. I poked holes in it and ran fishing string in a cross shape.

One day I'm going to try solder wire of various widths as well, if I need a better effect for a ring photo .etc

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's how I do it....

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's how I do it....

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/421/18865834910_7d8a878a9a_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/255/18816195948_475c3e9780_b.jpg

Couldn't get the effect with my lenses with stars .etc, also with astronomy it required such long exposures with a small aperture. The fishing string method works with full aperture.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top