Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 6:24:41 PM EDT
For any of you Canon dSLR shooters that feel like messing around with the new 50mm f/1.8 STM, I did a short write-up on my own thoughts on the lens:

http://www.ocabj.net/canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-stm-review

It's an interesting update to the "Nifty Fifty" (50mm f/1.8 II) with a much upgraded build design at the same MSRP.

Since it's only $125, it's worth picking one up just to mess around with.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a Canon guy, but gear reviews are always interesting.

Not to step on toes or anything but more proofreading, k?

Canon has offered kept a few different 50mm lenses in their active EF mount lineup in recent years
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Just picked one up last weekend! I couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
In your review, you say that the differences between the new lens and the old one will matter mostly to people who shoot video.  I rarely shoot video.  What are the chances that prices will drop on the older model, now that the new one is out?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In your review, you say that the differences between the new lens and the old one will matter mostly to people who shoot video.  I rarely shoot video.  What are the chances that prices will drop on the older model, now that the new one is out?
View Quote

The street price on the 50mm f/1.8 II is only about $100. I doubt the price will drop any lower than that. Frankly, that's cheap already.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#5]

good lens, I like it

some samples..

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Bringing this one back if it's OK with you guys.

I'm thinking about picking up a fast 50, but I'm not sure if it would really benefit me that much. I already own a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 and wonder if I would be helped by the F1.8? I would use this at dances and in other low light situations. Would I be happy enough to spend the money on this while giving up the versatility of just zooming out and quickly getting a gaggle of HS girls in a shot before they start moving all around etc.?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for costing me more money ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for costing me more money ARFCOM.
View Quote

Let us know how you like yours. I'm thinking that for dances etc. I would be better off with the 17-50mm trading off the F stop for versatility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top