Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 2:22:40 PM EDT
So I reserved a Canon 28-300mm/3.5-5.6l is from lensrentals.com for an up coming IMSA TUDOR United SportsCar Championship at Limerock Park in CT. Last time I went I rented a 70-200mm/2.8l is II and found myself switching back to my 18-135mm lens for the close up shots. So like I said this time I went with the 28-300mm so I would only have to bring one lens with me. I am putting this on my Canon 7D and was told by the tech at lensrentals.com that the auto-focus on this 28-300 is not as fast as the 70-200.

Here is a sample of the pics I took with the 70-200 two years ago. These Ferrari's were going 100-120mph in these photos and I think I had my shutter speed set way to high, because instead of blurring the wheels, I actually froze them.

First question for those who have the 28-300mm lens, is the autofocus going to be a problem for me?

Second question, what shutter speed do you suggest for capturing an image simalar to this:

Thanks,

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the lens, and plus I'm a Nikon guy, but I can answer your questions anyway.

First, regarding the focus. Assuming the available light is adequate, the lens should focus fine. That said, if you're zoomed in all the way at 5.6 even in ideal conditions you may find yourself limited by the slower lens. I would advise against the kit super zoom and instead recommend bringing a short lens and a long lens.

Second, regarding the sharp car blurry background pic - there's two things happening there.

First, as you suspected there's a slower shutter speed enabling that blurred look.

Second, the photographer was doing a panning track of the car as the shot was being taken, so as to keep the car sharp but let the background blur out a bit to imply movement.
YOU WILL WANT TO PRACTICE THIS A LOT BEFORE RACE DAY!!

Here's a pic I took that replicates the look I think you're going for (I've never been to one of those fancy races, though)

DSC_7090 by Zack, on Flickr

It was shot at 70mm on a 70-200 2.8. Aperture was f/16. Shutter speed was 1/60. ISO 100. Make sure the lens you use has VR/IS and you know how to make the best use of it.

Your shutter speed will likely be able to be a fair bit higher considering the higher speed of the car. Thus your aperture will be able to be more open.

There's no real "here, use these settings, they'll work" because nobody knows the conditions that day. But maybe it'll give you an idea of what goes into a shot like that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I get the lens on Thursday before the race so I have 2 days to practice. Thanks for the advice. Now to just get "someone" to drive past me at 120mph so I can practice. Any takers?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get the lens on Thursday before the race so I have 2 days to practice. Thanks for the advice. Now to just get "someone" to drive past me at 120mph so I can practice. Any takers?
View Quote

You can nail the basic technique and get a feel for it on cars passing by on your street. It's faster at a race, no doubt, but any practice is better than none.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Think I found my problem, apparently I had my shutter speed at 1/2000 Gonna step that sucker way down!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if you are not concerned with a motion-blurred background, you will want to use a slow enough shutter speed to get motion blur in the wheels so that the car does not look parked on the track. See the difference between the red car and blue car in your first post.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Head out to your local interstate; a good place would be a rest stop.  Shoot pix of cars on the highway.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to mention follow through. Just like in shooting. Don't just stop moving when you click the shutter. Keep going. It helps.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I forgot to mention follow through. Just like in shooting. Don't just stop moving when you click the shutter. Keep going. It helps.
View Quote

I have that technique down, I think like I said my shutter speed was way too high. I will post my highway "test shots" once the 28-300mm comes in and then the final result from the race.

Thanks for all your help
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I think these came out much better. Thanks for the advise guys

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Nailed it.

Nice work.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Good work on the panning. Shows the speed well.

Looks like a great time shooting.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
It was a blast, shot almost 1,200 pics. Found out that most of my pics were taken at between 100-135mm so the 28-300 was overkill and friggin heavy too. Gonna try my 18-135mm which is much lighter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It was a blast, shot almost 1,200 pics. Found out that most of my pics were taken at between 100-135mm so the 28-300 was overkill and friggin heavy too. Gonna try my 18-135mm which is much lighter.
View Quote

How close are you to the cars? I guess pretty close if you're shooting at 135mm.

I just ordered a Tamron 150-600. Can't wait to cart that sucker around.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe 100-150 feet, but it was on a Canon 7D which has a crop sensor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]
It's not easy to do, especially hand held, but I find that I usually get one good one in a string of images. I'm new to this style though.

IMG_0502 by Brian Cordes, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd have stuck with a 70-200mm/2.8l is II (awesome glass), but I see I'm late to the party.
Nice shots, OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top