Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2015 6:36:59 PM EDT
What do you guys do when you're taking a long trip. I know that I will use a ton of space and not be near my home computer for a week or so. I don't have a laptop so this will be the first time that I've had to deal with this. Any tips?

Update: Brought a HD with me. Dropped it on tile and killed it. Will take multiple cards from now on. Only really needed the fast cards two times anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I just take extra memory cards.  But, my trips aren't that long (maybe a week), and I think the greatest number of pictures I've taken was  around 1000.  There are all sorts of stand alone backup devices, but I don't know anything about them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a pair of 64 gig cards, a pair of 32 gig cards, and somewhere I'm reasonably confident I've got a set of 16 gig cards.

I think I could probably do 2 or 3 days of non stop picture taking without having to dump data.

That said, the D7100 raw files are HUGE. I'm ok with it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a pair of 64 gig cards, a pair of 32 gig cards, and somewhere I'm reasonably confident I've got a set of 16 gig cards.

I think I could probably do 2 or 3 days of non stop picture taking without having to dump data.

View Quote

I have a pawnshop $50 netbook with a SD card slot, a dozen or so SD cards and a couple of 2TB USB drives.  The netbook has just enough horsepower to copy the files from the SD cards to the USB drives.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a pawnshop $50 netbook with a SD card slot, a dozen or so SD cards and a couple of 2TB USB drives.  The netbook has just enough horsepower to copy the files from the SD cards to the USB drives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting and rather portable solution. I like it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking about doing something like that. I have a laptop that I don't use for anything and I'm sure it could migrate files from an SD reader to an external hard drive.

I'll be taking a ton of action shots on this trip of cars racing so I'm sure that I'll burn through thousands of shots.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just how big are they?  I have a D7100 arriving tomorrow

My D200 raws are about 10 MB.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm interested to hear this also. My 70D files can get upward of 20mb RAW while cranking the ISO.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm interested to hear this also. My 70D files can get upward of 20mb RAW while cranking the ISO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Figure roughly ~30MB per and you'll be in the ballpark. Some are over that. Some are less.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. It sounds like I could get away with fewer cards than you could, but you have way more cards than I do! I'll have to look into a cheap hard drive to take on the trip I think.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My recommendation is for getting more cards.

The catch is figuring out how much space you need. My family vacations end to average 400-600 per day, which is slow compared to my 1200-1700 shots per day for sporting events.
12-bit vs 14-bit.
Lossless compression vs lossy compression.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Getting a ton of cards can get expensive real quick, and if you don't have a good way to store them, can be easily lost.  Getting a few cards, a cheap laptop/tablet (you already indicated you have one not being used) and migrating them over to a portable hard drive is the best solution IMO.  It may take some time to do the migrating, but you have one drive the size of a paperback book instead of 15 little cards scattered around.

I've never done research on it, but I wish there were a big hard drive that you could just plug your card into and it would automatically transfer the files.  A green light comes on when it's finished, and you go on about your business.  No wires or 3rd party devices needed.  (There's probably something like that already)

EDIT:  Here you go!  I bet you can find one out there much cheaper.  Just search "portable photo storage device"
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
My 70D has a wireless feature. Could I set this up to beam the photos right onto a wireless HD?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My 70D has a wireless feature. Could I set this up to beam the photos right onto a wireless HD?
View Quote

I think you have to have an interface to do it, but it's worth some research.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure that only works to transfer to a computer, or at best over a wireless network.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Pretty sure that only works to transfer to a computer, or at best over a wireless network.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. I'll try to do some research.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was thinking about doing something like that. I have a laptop that I don't use for anything and I'm sure it could migrate files from an SD reader to an external hard drive.

I'll be taking a ton of action shots on this trip of cars racing so I'm sure that I'll burn through thousands of shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smaller sized cards are getting pretty cheap. Take your laptop and a card(s) for each day. At the end of day copy the files to the drive and put the card(s) away until you get home. Charge your batteries every night and pop in a fresh card and format it in camera every morning. Repeat.  Make sure you have extra batteries.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I could probably take along some of my slower cards and have enough for each day. If I weren't shooting moving cars and probably a decent amount of video I wouldn't be concerned about this at all. I think you're onto something with a card each day though. I could scrape some cheap slow cars with a lot of space together pretty easily.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I could probably take along some of my slower cards and have enough for each day. If I weren't shooting moving cars and probably a decent amount of video I wouldn't be concerned about this at all. I think you're onto something with a card each day though. I could scrape some cheap slow cars with a lot of space together pretty easily.
View Quote

It's definatley the safest bet. If you are just copying on to a hard drive or laptop and reusing your cards, you only have one copy. And as we all know... one is none. When I'm on location, I have a minimum of three copies of images for each day. On original cards, laptop and separate hard drive. Just got back from Norway and one of my daily cards was somehow corrupted, first time ever. But I had them on my laptop and HD so I was good to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Memory cards are cheap and getting cheaper by the day (for reference, a 2GB card was $225 in 2004).  Memory cards, unlike portable disc drives, have no moving parts and will survive much worse treatment...including through the washer/dryer.

I'm not buying anything smaller than 128GB cards now and that will likely sound small a year from now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
When my wife and I went to Spain I just maxed out on 64gb sad cards so that I didn't have to bring a laptop. Worked great and allowed me to keep shooting without dragging a fragging laptop around everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#21]
My personal opinion, get a bunch of 64GB cards, and number them, and use them in order.

I would put them in a place where you can't lose them, lost was the main problem I had with those SD cards. Remember SD cards are pretty cheap compared to how much you paid for your camera and the expenses of a vacation. I always use the axiom, when in double take a bunch of photos, because you can always delete them alter.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#22]
My camera has dual card slots I run 8 g cards in the #1 slot then a 64 g in the #2.  Then I swap out them out as they fill giving me a redundancy.  I have 24 8's and 3 64's.  I have lost photos several times to card failures.  Before I got the camera with dual slots. I would only use 4 g cards and swap out a lot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My camera has dual card slots I run 8 g cards in the #1 slot then a 64 g in the #2.  Then I swap out them out as they fill giving me a redundancy.  I have 24 8's and 3 64's.  I have lost photos several times to card failures.  Before I got the camera with dual slots. I would only use 4 g cards and swap out a lot.
View Quote
I'm in this camp. My D810 has two slots. I run RAW to one and JPG to the other. I try to swap both cards out at least once during the day, so that a single card failure won't wipe me out. At the end of the day I copy the cards off to my laptop and put them away for the duration of the trip. I try to keep at least two copies of everything during a trip (two cards, card + computer, etc).

It's often impossible to recreate a moment or a trip, which makes the cost of SD cards somewhat trivial in comparison.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#24]
update in OP. thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What do you guys do when you're taking a long trip. I know that I will use a ton of space and not be near my home computer for a week or so. I don't have a laptop so this will be the first time that I've had to deal with this. Any tips?  

Update: Brought a HD with me. Dropped it on tile and killed it. Will take multiple cards from now on. Only really needed the fast cards two times anyway.

View Quote

How did that happen?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How did that happen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How did that happen?

I placed it along with my laptop and camera on the counter in my hotel room. After insuring that there was no cable etc. to snag on my chair I shifted a couple of inches. The camera and hard drive fell to the floor. I was pretty astounded that it happened. The camera sustained no damage as it was an indirect hit due to landing on some soft stuff. The hard drive fell right on the tile and hit directly on a corner. The drive is recognized by a computer, but it can't be read.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn.    
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Damn.    
View Quote

You're not kidding. Fortunately, I had virtually everything backed up on the cloud from that drive. What I lost isn't really a huge deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top