Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2015 3:03:44 PM EDT
I currently have 4 different lenses for my Canon T5i….a Canon 18-55mm f/3.5 STM, Canon 55-250mm F/4 STM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime, and a Lensbaby Muse.  I love the 18-55 for wide angle stuff like group photos in small rooms or small areas.  The 55-250 is great for really zooming in on stuff that is far away….the stabilization works great.  I love the 50mm 1.8 for low light shots and portraits….and the Lensbaby is pretty much worthless.

What would you guys suggest for a new lens for me to test/tryout/buy?  The only think that  I would say I’m lacking is a lens that can do close up macro type shots….and one that can really reach out and get some good clean telephoto shoots of subjects far away.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You have the basics covered. After that, lenses are a "right tool for the job" kind of item.

Not really my thing, but macro lenses can be fun to use. Along the same lines, extension tubes can be a cheaper substitute.

Telephotos beyond 300mm are large, heavy, and medium- to large- price. Here, renting to find what you like, or renting for a one-time use can be a great way to find what you need.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Canon has a new 50mm 1.8 coming out soon, it is said to be a major upgrade to the current 50mm 1.8

I'm going to upgrade.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
What about a suggestion for a good entry level macro lens?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM HERE.
I really like this as a "walk-around" lens.
It does a lot of things well, with good reviews.
It's nice to have to carry only one lens at times.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Nikon with similar lenses.

One lens on my wish list is the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 wide angle.  It's been out for awhile and gets stellar reviews.
18mm is fine for most situations but there are times when wider would be better.
http://www.adorama.com/TN1116CA2K.html

I really want a decent macro.  100mm or above.  
I cheat with tele-zooms to get macro-like pictures but it isn't the same as a proper macro.

The other lens I want is prohibitively expensive for my hobbyist budget.

Walk-a-round lenses are DX VR 55-200mm and 35mm f1.8 prime for those keeping score.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM HERE.
I really like this as a "walk-around" lens.
It does a lot of things well, with good reviews.
It's nice to have to carry only one lens at times.
View Quote

I already have that exact lens.....it's in the OP.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bang for the buck for Macro 100mm range you can't beat the Tokina...built like a tank and nice manual focus feel ( important for macro )

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/393445-REG/Tokina_ATXAF100PROC_100mm_f_2_8_AT_X_M100.html

Only thing the Canon / Tamron / Sigma , all of which are significantly more expensive is the Ultrasonic motor , so auto focus speed is slower.

Again, this is not an issue when shooting macro . DOF is so shallow even at F22 that you really need to focus through viewfinder / live view . The autofocus seldom nails exactly where you want

If you ever take pictures of spiders in a web, you will have the autofocus go crazy as the web moves even a tiny bit in a slight breeze .  Even a USM can't keep up to the movement

Great portrait lens as well . Since it has focus limiter switch you can optimize the focus speed for telephoto work

If you want longer working distance , the Sigma 150 is a good value if you find a older model WITHOUT the vibration stabilization  ....which you won't need for macro work anyways

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The catch with macro lenses is figuring out how much space you are comfortable with between your lens and the subject. The longer focal lengths will give you more room but cost more. The constant recommendations I have seen from macro shooters is for the newbies to macro to get the longer lenses even though they cost more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
40 pancake, just because it's so darned sharp. It's not a bad crop sensor walkaround lens as long as you get used to backing up a bit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The new Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is at the top of my wish list.
Amazon Link
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I would get a super-wide angle. From a photography stand point those super-wides gives a really different perspective on what the world looks like, especially when up close and personal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I just recently decided to get a macro lens and got the Canon 100mm F/2.8L and I'm in complete love with it.  I used it almost exclusively at the lake this past weekend.  Bonus is it also takes beautiful portraits as well.  Very versatile.  

Sorry for the overload.  I just really love this lens.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top