Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2015 6:54:03 PM EDT
I have a Canon 60D with a Sigma 150-500mm lens for wildlife. What would be a good tripod that has a balance of carrying wile hiking yet is stable enough for low ISO wildlife shots? Budget $300-$400
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
For cheap but very good, I really like my Slik 780DX
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507991-REG/Slik_615_780_Pro_780DX_Tripod_with.html

However, if you are looking to do hiking with a tripod, you will want something lighter than the Slik 780DX
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Does your budget include the head?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I have an earlier version of this tripod and can attest to its usefulness.  I love it, although I'm not hiking with it so don't know about the weight issue.  It's got a clip area on the base that you should be able to use with a sling, so that might help.  One of the overlooked advantages is two of the legs have a felt grip on the sides.  This comes in really handy when it's really cold outside.  Saved my hands many times.

This one is half the weight and has a load capacity of 8lbs.  Might work out as well, althogh you might want to put something on the metal legs to keep from freezing your hands.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Manfrotto 055 XProB and its a decent tripod. It is heavier than I prefer but I rigged a sling to carry it and it's not bad. One feature that's not as useful as I thought it's be is the ability to extend the center col and lay it to the side.  It has value for copy work but not much else.  It's a very solid and stable tripod and extends very tall if need be. This can come in useful in the field.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:11:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have an earlier version of this tripod and can attest to its usefulness.  I love it, although I'm not hiking with it so don't know about the weight issue.  It's got a clip area on the base that you should be able to use with a sling, so that might help.  One of the overlooked advantages is two of the legs have a felt grip on the sides.  This comes in really handy when it's really cold outside.  Saved my hands many times.

This one is half the weight and has a load capacity of 8lbs.  Might work out as well, althogh you might want to put something on the metal legs to keep from freezing your hands.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Another plus one for that Manfrotto, I love mine.

The padded legs really are great in cold weather.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love mine for all the same reasons. Not sure I would take it hiking though... Its pretty solid. For hiking, I would think either carbon fiber legs or a monopod with little feet on the bottom!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love mine for all the same reasons. Not sure I would take it hiking though... Its pretty solid. For hiking, I would think either carbon fiber legs or a monopod with little feet on the bottom!
View Quote

Wimp.

This is how I go hiking...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top