Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2015 4:47:01 PM EDT

D7000 Kit

I'm looking for my first real camera on a budget and have a couple questions:

1) Is this a good deal for the included kit?

2) Is this a good selection of gear with which to learn?

I'm more interested in taking quality pictures and videos for social media than photography for it's own sake.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about Nikons, but if you consider Canon, they have a refurb store with huge sales from day to day. My experience with the refurbs is that you're what looks like new but with a different warranty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
1) Is this a good deal for the included kit? --- no not really, most of the included accessories are junk.

2) Is this a good selection of gear with which to learn? --- the camera is great and the 18-55 is fine for starting out but again everything else is pretty bad.

I'm more interested in taking quality pictures and videos for social media than photography for it's own sake. --- for videos the D7000 is pretty bad IMO. I had one and if I remember right it only does 1080p at 24fps. Mono audio, and no video autofocus.

---

For all around video and photography maybe the Canon Rebel T5i or a Nikon D3300 / 5300 would be better, all with an 18-55mm lens.

ETA: also look at this ebay deal for today if you don't mind refubished: LINK
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My experience with the refurbs is that you're what looks like new but with a different warranty.
View Quote

They changed it to 1yr warranty, same as new ones. So a great deal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information and link guys. I looked up the D7000 after seeing it mentioned several times here. I'm not sold on any one brand. I'll check out the Canon refurbished cameras as well as the Nikon in the link.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information and link guys. I looked up the D7000 after seeing it mentioned several times here. I'm not sold on any one brand. I'll check out the Canon refurbished cameras as well as the Nikon in the link.

View Quote

I chose to get the d7000 because of the price since the d7200 came out its gone down (it was $1200 when it came out in 2010).
Right now it cost just as much as a D5200 brand new. The autofocus motor is a big plus. Ive taken video with it and it does have
auto focus for vids but i have found you really want to use manual focus (the pros use manual focus from what i understand) . The vids are decent with a good lens.
Ive been using the nikkor 50mm 1.8d lends for vids and they are sharp.

For my first DSLR the d7000 was a good choice. Many people say to start with a 3200 or 5200 but for the price the D7000 is good. You
just have to look out for good deals like the one best buy had in march.

Of course check out canon too maybe they have something comparable at a decent price. My friend has the canon 70D, and that thing takes killer pictures but your going to pay.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I get more confused the more I research.

Why is a refurbished T5i with a Canon 18-55mm lens on Canon's site roughly the same cost as a new T5i with a Canon 18-55mm, a Canon 55-250mm, and a bunch of accessories (bag, tripods, wide angle lenses, flash, etc) on Amazon? What's the catch?

Someone else recommended I look at the Sony RX100 iii as my starter camera. It seems to get very popular reviews.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The "bunch of accessories" is actually a bunch of junk.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why is a refurbished T5i with a Canon 18-55mm lens on Canon's site roughly the same cost as a new T5i with a Canon 18-55mm, a Canon 55-250mm, and a bunch of accessories (bag, tripods, wide angle lenses, flash, etc) on Amazon? What's the catch?
View Quote

Canon's refurbs are only a good value if they are currently running a promo or sale. Otherwise just buy new.

Also, don't factor in the value of the accessories kits as they are worthless.

ETA: Not sure what Amazon kit you were looking at but this isn't a bad deal for the 18-55 and 55-250 STM lenses. amazon.com/Digital-18-55mm-55-250mm-Deluxe-Accessory/dp/B00UUFYNK8/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top