Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2015 11:06:28 PM EDT
From earlier tonight.  Had a quick storm pass through so I went to a couple pre-scouted locations to try to capture some lightning.

1.  The first site was a bust.  First I had to run off a couple pervs and then the lightning was too high up and was blocked by the rain.  It was interesting, though because you could see it flashing over the ridge there, and knew it was coming closer.  Then there was one low rumble of thunder that lasted at least 15-20sec coming up the river. Everything got quiet and then the wind hit like a train, followed by sideways rain.  At least I got a beautiful shot of the river and some fog beforehand.

2. I knew it was a thin band of storms from the radar, so I just changed locations where I could face East and shoot its ass-end as the storm went away.  I was initially afraid all the lightning would be up in the clouds, since this was the case the last time I went out.

3.  This time, I wasn't disappointed.

4.  Unfortunately, me being a bit rusty and forgetting to put my hat over my lens, I got lots of water spots.  This shot I did a little quick post processing on to lighten up the tree and even some colors out.  The way it's compressed you can see the halo which sucks and I'll have to go spend some more time on it to make it better, but here it is.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!

Do you use one of those lightning triggers, or do you just take repeated exposures hoping that one of them will get a good bolt?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice!

Do you use one of those lightning triggers, or do you just take repeated exposures hoping that one of them will get a good bolt?
View Quote

I take long exposures.  Probably took a little less than 100 last night to get the 4.  

ISO 400
30s  @ f8
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet !
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
that storm last night had alot of cool lightning, good photo
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
We get some good storms through here and I would love to try this. Thanks for posting up the settings you use.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We get some good storms through here and I would love to try this. Thanks for posting up the settings you use.
View Quote

No problem.  The hardest part is not the camera settings, but positioning yourself correctly to get the right shots.  I'd say I get a usable photo probably 40-50% of the time I go out, if less.  I look at my local weather radar and see where the storm is tracking, then I pick from a group of spots that I pre-scouted and go to it.  I usually like the rule that, if it doesn't already look good without lightning, then it probably won't look good with it.  

Typical settings are 20-30sec @f8 with an ISO of around 400.  If the lightning is really bright, I might make the aperture smaller, and vise-versa.  I've had it wide open some times and a close strike can make the entire image white.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
That's cool. I'll try to spot some places around town that may be good. I know that there is an abandoned gas station north of town which I could use for shelter and get some great shots of the storm over the prairie.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's cool. I'll try to spot some places around town that may be good. I know that there is an abandoned gas station north of town which I could use for shelter and get some great shots of the storm over the prairie.
View Quote

Being in IL, you're pretty lucky in that you can see a storm coming pretty far off.  Downside is I believe they come on a lot faster.  Parking garages are always a safe bet in storms if you can find one without obstructions like telephone poles and wires and general sprawl.  Keep tabs on the prevailing winds in your area, where the storms come from which is usually West -> East of some form.  And sometimes it's better waiting out the storm and shooting its ass-end right after it passes over.

I've just started using this website to help out.  I think there's an app, but it gives boxes instead of expanding dots.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Being in IL, you're pretty lucky in that you can see a storm coming pretty far off.  Downside is I believe they come on a lot faster.  Parking garages are always a safe bet in storms if you can find one without obstructions like telephone poles and wires and general sprawl.  Keep tabs on the prevailing winds in your area, where the storms come from which is usually West -> East of some form.  And sometimes it's better waiting out the storm and shooting its ass-end right after it passes over.

I've just started using this website to help out.  I think there's an app, but it gives boxes instead of expanding dots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It'll be a double edged sword for sure. I can see them coming for miles, but I'm in an area where storms can turn very dangerous very quickly. I'll certainly need to take a safety first approach to this. I don't want to get carried away like Dorothy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top