Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2015 8:41:26 AM EDT
I finally got one and got to put it to use yesterday.  Man!  I am loving it so far.  I am sitting in the airport enroute to DC so I expect to take lots of fountain pictures!

Anyone else used ND filters before?  Lets see em!  

Nikon D7100

12-24mm

ISO 100

F/14

30"

10 Stop B+W Filter

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Piedra Falls

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got some, haven't had a chance to play with them yet. Any tips or tricks?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just got some, haven't had a chance to play with them yet. Any tips or tricks?

View Quote

My only advice is that if you're stacking filters (like an ND + a polarizer) you need to make sure you're not getting vignetting on wide angle lenses.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use a tripod and a remote release.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and a good quality tripod.  I spent $300 on mine (Manfrotto) and it was well worth it.  Nice thing is that it doubles as a tripod for my spotting scope.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread reminds me that I have one (a cheap 10 stop ND filter).

I only used it once, I need to stick it on my lens and use it again!

Here's a couple shots of a local river I took when I first got the ND filter.

2.7-ND-test-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

2.7-ND-Test-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Can anyone say how this filter compares to the Lee Big Stopper?
I'm conserved about the optical qualities vs the mount style.
I don't like the idea of a threaded filter that only works for a specific diameter...I like the ND mount system because it also works for graduated filters.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't like the idea of a threaded filter that only works for a specific diameter...I like the ND mount system because it also works for graduated filters.
View Quote

It's a give and take. A mounting system and the dichro's like the Lee are going to be more versatile, but also more expensive. Pick the right tool for the job you want to do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a give and take. A mounting system and the dichro's like the Lee are going to be more versatile, but also more expensive. Pick the right tool for the job you want to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just bought a thread on for my widest lens. (12-24) and a step down ring for my 18-200.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top