Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 10:31:49 PM EDT
Hi all,

I could really use some help for photographers that use a Mac. When I was on my PC, I would plug my trusty D70 in to the computer and run the import wizard and import my photos in to a new folder for what was on that card. An example would be  a folder "7-17-2011 Vacation."  Using this method, I had a lot of folders that were sorted by date automatically due to the naming scheme, and I could fairly easily access my photos this way.

Well, I bought a Mac book pro a few months ago and used the apple transfer wizard to transfer all the files from my old pc to the new Mac. Now all my photos are dumped in iPhoto. I can browse in Finder for my old folder structure, but my new imports in to iPhoto don't get stored in a folder structure at all, just a mysterious volume that can only be accessed with iPhoto.

Can anyone recommend an effective workflow for storing and organizing photos on the Mac?  I'm getting a bit frustrated with iPhoto, but maybe I just need to learn it better. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all,

I could really use some help for photographers that use a Mac. When I was on my PC, I would plug my trusty D70 in to the computer and run the import wizard and import my photos in to a new folder for what was on that card. An example would be  a folder "7-17-2011 Vacation."  Using this method, I had a lot of folders that were sorted by date automatically due to the naming scheme, and I could fairly easily access my photos this way.

Well, I bought a Mac book pro a few months ago and used the apple transfer wizard to transfer all the files from my old pc to the new Mac. Now all my photos are dumped in iPhoto. I can browse in Finder for my old folder structure, but my new imports in to iPhoto don't get stored in a folder structure at all, just a mysterious volume that can only be accessed with iPhoto.

Can anyone recommend an effective workflow for storing and organizing photos on the Mac?  I'm getting a bit frustrated with iPhoto, but maybe I just need to learn it better. Thanks!
View Quote

iPhoto works but it takes a bit of getting used to.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Adobe Lightroom is what you seek.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adobe Lightroom is what you seek.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Lightroom is the answer as those above have stated...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lightroom is the answer as those above have stated...
View Quote
Yup, and you can make the iphoto library visible in finder...I just don't remember how to do it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top