Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2015 1:22:51 PM EDT
Camera is a Canon T3i

So the lady friend, booked us a trip to Playa Del Carmen, for the end of May.
I am starting trying to everything lined up for the trip.
We will be there for a week.
I have never been to Mexico.
Knowing her, we will be staying at one of the nicest resorts there.

1) Do I bring my DSLR, with lens and stuff?
2) Or do I bring my pretty decent point & shot?
3) Or do I just bring use my cellphone, or bring my old cellphone just for pictures?
4) If I bring my DSLR do I bring it in a smaller camera bag to try and be more discrete, or do I get a Pelican 1200 case from the durability?
4A) We will be snorkeling, and going to see some Mayan ruins. Other than that she had not told me what we are doing.
5) If the DSLR should I think about renting some lens?
5A) Where should I look at renting some lens from?
5B) Or should I just buy a new one?
5C) Which lens should I consider?   {currently own 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 & 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Lens }
6) Should I also consider renting a Go-Pro?  { I have ALOT of experience with them }
7) Any travel tips in general for taking a camera / taking pictures in Mexico?

I have never been diving or snorkeling in my life.
So I do not see this getting much / if any uses. After this trip so I do not want to invest a lot of money in something for under pictures.
What is everyones' option of something like this for underwater pictures?
http://www.amazon.com/Dicapac-USA-Inc-WP-S10-Waterproof/dp/B00169HXW2/ref=lp_3350301_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1426956088&sr=1-10

This is my first vacation, vacation in about 5_years
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I always travel with my cameras in a pelican case, but bring a backpack/camera bag for once I reach my destination.

I would rent or purchase a wide angle.

You can get the Nikon 12-24 F/4 for just over $400 used right now.  It is a great lens.  

The 10-24 is nice but not built as well and is variable aperture. It also costs closer to $900.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I pack a camera bag and carry everything in a backpack, for the trip. When I get there, it will depend on where we are going and what we are doing, as to which bag I grab.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Camera is a Canon T3i

So the lady friend, booked us a trip to Playa Del Carmen, for the end of May.
I am starting trying to everything lined up for the trip.
We will be there for a week.
I have never been to Mexico.
Knowing her, we will be staying at one of the nicest resorts there.

1) Do I bring my DSLR, with lens and stuff?
2) Or do I bring my pretty decent point & shot?
3) Or do I just bring use my cellphone, or bring my old cellphone just for pictures?
4) If I bring my DSLR do I bring it in a smaller camera bag to try and be more discrete, or do I get a Pelican 1200 case from the durability?
4A) We will be snorkeling, and going to see some Mayan ruins. Other than that she had not told me what we are doing.
5) If the DSLR should I think about renting some lens?
5A) Where should I look at renting some lens from?
5B) Or should I just buy a new one?
5C) Which lens should I consider?   {currently own 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 & 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Lens }
6) Should I also consider renting a Go-Pro?  { I have ALOT of experience with them }
7) Any travel tips in general for taking a camera / taking pictures in Mexico?

I have never been diving or snorkeling in my life.
So I do not see this getting much / if any uses. After this trip so I do not want to invest a lot of money in something for under pictures.
What is everyones' option of something like this for underwater pictures?
http://www.amazon.com/Dicapac-USA-Inc-WP-S10-Waterproof/dp/B00169HXW2/ref=lp_3350301_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1426956088&sr=1-10

This is my first vacation, vacation in about 5_years
View Quote

DSLR vs point-n-shoot vs cell phone: How much do you want to carry? How important are the photos?
I would bring the DSLR.

DSLR bag: bring what you have. Use the bag as carry-on, no pelican cases needed.

Your two DSLR lenses are fine and make a great 2-lens travel it. No need to rent/buy other lenses unless you can state the need that your current lenses cannot do for you.

Skip the underwater bag. If you want to do underwater pictures this once, get a point-n-shoot that is waterproof.

A tripod will sometimes wrongly flag you as a pro and thus open you to photography fees.
Talk to the guards/rangers at the Mayan sites. They can make recommendations for shooting locations, sometimes for a "tip".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top