Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2015 3:53:53 PM EDT
I have a Canon 450D (Rebel XTi) that I've had for ages, I've got a handful of lenses, a couple flashes, and so forth.  I've carried it all around the world on my trips.  I've carried it hiking, I've taken it camping, I've taken it to concerts, sporting events, festivals and just around.

BUT, let's be honest, it gets to be a pain in the ass carrying all that around, and having such a huge camera all the time.

On the other side of that coin, I have an iPhone 5s that actually takes decent pics of the point-and-shoot/snapshot variety to share on Facebook, or instagrams or whatever the kids are into these days.  I admit that the camera on an iPhone is not the best thing you can get for even snapshots, but it works well enough.

Now, I have a trip to Malta coming up in May and from researching the place,  it looks like I am REALLY going to want to take a "real" camera with me.  That means the Canon body, the flash, tripod, and at least a couple lenses, batteries, cables, etc.

Thing is, as I pointed out before, that's a lot of crap to lug around, requires a special bag to carry it in, rather than my typical man-purse that I carry when abroad and while old, it DOES still take fabulous pictures.
So I'm looking for something a little in-between.  I don't know much about what falls in between Cell Phone Camera and full sized SLR and wanted to ask your opinions on what's out there.  So here is my list of things that I'd like:

1:  Not a self-contained Point-and-Shoot wiht collapsing fixed lense
2: Good range for both close up/wide angle and distances
3: Good sensor for images that can be blown up to 16x20 when printed and NOT look like pixellated mess
4: Fast on and good battery life
5: Prefer a removable, hot-shoe flash
6: Not terribly heavy
7: Would not mind something that is SLR-like with interchangable lenses, I know there are some out there, I just don't know much about them.

So any suggestions on good travel cameras that may meet some or all of those things I'd like?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Canon 450D (Rebel XTi) that I've had for ages, I've got a handful of lenses, a couple flashes, and so forth.  I've carried it all around the world on my trips.  I've carried it hiking, I've taken it camping, I've taken it to concerts, sporting events, festivals and just around.

BUT, let's be honest, it gets to be a pain in the ass carrying all that around, and having such a huge camera all the time.

On the other side of that coin, I have an iPhone 5s that actually takes decent pics of the point-and-shoot/snapshot variety to share on Facebook, or instagrams or whatever the kids are into these days.  I admit that the camera on an iPhone is not the best thing you can get for even snapshots, but it works well enough.

Now, I have a trip to Malta coming up in May and from researching the place,  it looks like I am REALLY going to want to take a "real" camera with me.  That means the Canon body, the flash, tripod, and at least a couple lenses, batteries, cables, etc.

Thing is, as I pointed out before, that's a lot of crap to lug around, requires a special bag to carry it in, rather than my typical man-purse that I carry when abroad and while old, it DOES still take fabulous pictures.
So I'm looking for something a little in-between.  I don't know much about what falls in between Cell Phone Camera and full sized SLR and wanted to ask your opinions on what's out there.  So here is my list of things that I'd like:

1:  Not a self-contained Point-and-Shoot wiht collapsing fixed lense
2: Good range for both close up/wide angle and distances
3: Good sensor for images that can be blown up to 16x20 when printed and NOT look like pixellated mess
4: Fast on and good battery life
5: Prefer a removable, hot-shoe flash
6: Not terribly heavy
7: Would not mind something that is SLR-like with interchangable lenses, I know there are some out there, I just don't know much about them.

So any suggestions on good travel cameras that may meet some or all of those things I'd like?
View Quote

Sony a6000.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Sony A7R.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to make an assumption and guess that you take a lot of landscape type photos?

Take a look at the Olympus EM-5 II.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuji X-E2
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Sony a6000. There's some great glass out there for it and you can use your Canon glass as well with an adaptor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
SL1
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
SL1
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The new Sony cameras are pretty nice from what I've seen. I'll be interested to see what you choose either way.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just because you take all of that stuff with you does not mean that you have to carry it all every day.
Plan out each day. Leave the stuff you don't need at the hotel.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
OST
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Olympus OM-D EM-5 or EM-10. Or the EM-5 MkII.

Fucking phenomenal little camera. Awesome jpeg engine. I have an EM-5 I bought a couple years ago now, with the 12-40mm f/2.8 and a cheaper 40-150mm that I got for $100 on sale. Even that cheap ass lens is sharp as fuck on that little camera. I'd almost want to 'upgrade' to the EM-1, but honestly, there are only a couple relatively minor features that just aren't worth it to me yet.

You can use a shorter prime, or one of the more compact zooms, and have a nice little travel camera, or get the battery grip and some of the nicer zooms, and have a compact DSLR.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:45:19 AM EDT
[#12]
This is what I plan to buy.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm leaning really heavily toward the a6000 right now.  On the plus side for the SL1 is that I already have a bag o' Canon glass I could use on it, but on the minus side is that it's still about 2x the size of the a6000 and really not that much smaller than my XTi.  On the Sony's side, dollar for dollar it's just a better camera overall and far more bang for the buck, which is kinda important here as I'm really looking for a Swiss Army Knife sort of camera for travel.

For right around 1K I can get the a6000 with the questionable 16-50mm kit lens (some love it, some hate it, but the same has been true of Canon's 18-55mm kit lenses for years) and the Sigma 30mm and 19mm f2.8 primes, and all that would still take less space and weigh less than what I have now.

I'm still on the fence though, I tend to hem and haw a lot and read and touch and fondle and such for a long while before I finally make a decision.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  I really do like the Fuji cameras, and a friend of mine in Scotland just bought one for the same reason I'm shopping (getting tired of always lugging an SLR around as a daily walkabout camera) but that's significantly more money than I want to spend on it until I know I actually like these new-fangled mirrorless cameras.  

So I may go ahead with the a6000 and a prime or two, see how I like it for a few months and then sell that kit and get a Fuji then.  Or hell, go nuts with my annual bonus and get a Leica.  I've always wanted a Leica.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top