Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2015 7:22:20 PM EDT
Need one to run Lightroom/photoshop.  Should I be looking for PC or Mac?  Any recommendations that can effectively run this software?  Budget is around $1200.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I finally switched over to a Mac about 18 months ago. I will never go back to Windows.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Photoshop/Lightroom? Either Mac or Windows will be fine. Depends on what else you want to do. Surf the web at home/work and already have an iPhone/iTunes/iCloud/iWhatever? Get a Macbook Air. Interested in something a little more versatile? Check out a Microsoft Surface 3. Personally, I would go Surface for the versatility but I also love tablets/hybrids... Fantastic when shooting/composing tethered to a DSLR or airbrushing a photo in post. Id take MacOS over Windows 8.1 though Windows 10 will be a free upgrade this summer and seems pretty existing as far as operating systems go.

Regardless, you cant go wrong with either.

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Need one to run Lightroom/photoshop.  Should I be looking for PC or Mac?  Any recommendations that can effectively run this software?  Budget is around $1200.
View Quote

Do you want a lighter/smaller more portable laptop with a longer battery life or a less portable laptop with shorter batterylife but much more powerful?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I finally switched over to a Mac about 18 months ago. I will never go back to Windows.

View Quote

Agreed...once you go mac you never go back...
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did...went for a Pro Retina.  Love this thing.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I cannot speak to the macs, but on the PC side you basically would be looking for a gaming rig with lots of hard drive space. Gaming and media processing need the same video card and screen abilities.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally would look for a desktop for photo editing.  Or else get a big LCD screen that you can hook up to the laptop.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I cannot speak to the macs, but on the PC side you basically would be looking for a gaming rig with lots of hard drive space. Gaming and media processing need the same video card and screen abilities.
View Quote

Regardless of OS, OP definitely doesnt need a gaming/workstation rig. Adobe software (since CS5) fully supports Intel's HD4000 and newer integrated graphics for GPU acceleration. That said, an i5 (photoshop benchmarks) with 8GB of memory would be very comfortable for photo editing. Thats not to say theres no benefit to going bigger and faster, but thats where you run into diminishing returns/value.

An external monitor isnt a bad idea, though, and would let OP get a portable 11" computer (Macbook Air or Surface) and still have large screen to work on in a more permanent space.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top