Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2015 1:14:25 AM EDT
Rumor is out today that it will be officially announced next week, it looks like canon is trying to play the pixel game and catch up with nikon
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Rumor is out today that it will be officially announced next week, it looks like canon is trying to play the pixel game and catch up with nikon
View Quote

What's the skinny on it?  I've avoided camera discussions for years because it becomes a pissing contest and people seem to be hyper-focused on equipment rather than art.  That said, I'm probably coming up for an upgrade soon so this might be relevant.

ETA:  Here's a link

Looks like the major thing is it's a 50mp camera with a new processor designed for detail and color accuracty at the expense of low-light capabilities.  Now, "capabilities" is a big word, and it looks like they are speaking in terms of pushing the ISO up to astronomical numbers instead of low-light noise quality.  Those can go hand-in-hand of course, but I doubt anyone shooting this camera will be using it for action.

I'm guessing this will be my niche's replacement camera.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sony sensor so this should more than catch up to Nikon's D810, and catch up to it's dynamic range.  To give you an idea on how old the 5dmk3 sensor is, the D700 (with the D3 sensor) has the same or slightly more dynamic range, iirc.

It will be interesting once Canon announces all three... 5ds, 5dsr, and the 5dmk4.  The rumor specs tend to suggest the 5dmk4 will not have a competitive Nikon until they come out with the true D700 replacement with D4 internals.

This is a shot directly across Nikon's bow is how I see it.  I see excitement with the 5dmk4, but once everyone gets past the megapixel hype of the D810, 5Ds, and 5Ds R, they'll realize lenses to resolve to those levels will make the body look cheap, cost-wise.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw today that the sensor is Canon, not Sony.  Official announcement coming Friday the 6th.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be excited to get  a couple of these in the studio. The improvement from the MkII to MkIII in terms of color accuracy was a pretty big leap. Can't wait to see what this guy can do.

All my personal gear will remain Nikon
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow! Just WOW!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like all that's changed is 50mp.  I'm going to hold my breath and wait to see noise quality of long-exposure low-light images on this, because that will be the make/break for most photographers who are interested in the camera.  After all, ya can't do much landscape/architecture without operating in low-light conditions.  Cramming all those pixels into a tiny sensor can't be great.

I was kind of hoping for some form of built-in wifi or some way I can trip the shutter with my phone and without a cord.

I like the dual card slot, intelligent viewfinder and the electronic level.  The timelapse movie thing might be interesting instead of having to take a million photos and put them together in post.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Suggested Retail = $3,699.00
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps its just me, but does anybody else think we are going full retard on the megapixel count?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd take super low light over super mega pixel any day.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perhaps its just me, but does anybody else think we are going full retard on the megapixel count?
View Quote

I felt that way... but this is a game changer for super detailed landscapes. I think I read a megapixel change of 3x is noticeable. So this one should be.

My first camera was 320 x 240 resolution. = .76 Megapixel. I really noticed the difference when I moved up to 640 x 480.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool. Nothing there that would make me ditch my 1Dx or 5D3, but for those guys that do certain types of photography, this is very cool. There's a HUGE amount of data in every image.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I felt that way... but this is a game changer for super detailed landscapes. I think I read a megapixel change of 3x is noticeable. So this one should be.

My first camera was 320 x 240 resolution. = .76 Megapixel. I really noticed the difference when I moved up to 640 x 480.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall people clamoring for higher resolution still image capability after the 36 megapixel D800 came out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and no. Lots of resolution is nice, but you also have to have the lenses, computer, and technique to support it.

Theoretically, a higher resolution photo that is downsized to a smaller resolution should look better because... reasons. Look up supersampling.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would hope so. The resolution doubled. But those images are tiny. We are now talking about going from very large resolution pictures to humongous when most will be viewed on a 24" 1080p monitor or 4"-5" smartphone screen.

I would rather there be large improvements in dynamic range and high ISO performance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would hope so. The resolution doubled. But those images are tiny. We are now talking about going from very large resolution pictures to humongous when most will be viewed on a 24" 1080p monitor or 4"-5" smartphone screen.

I would rather there be large improvements in dynamic range and high ISO performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait for the 5D mark IV for that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd fork over the cash for a 5Ds-R this afternoon if it was available.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Would rather have a Pentax 645z.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

At more than twice the price, why not? Get 2!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I figure the MK III will kill the S in low light.  
Look at the 6D and 5Dmkiii.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Canon store has refurb 5DmIIIs for about $2500 or less.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy just bought one. It's nice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I own some very capable tripods...
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Most lenses won't resolve past 20MP in practical shooting, even L series. The ones that do resolve past that need to be stopped down, which is not how I shoot.

Give me noise and DR performance. Fuck this marketing bullshit and the bloated files.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I do too but they would suck for weddings, concerts, or anything else that moves.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Dammit, I'm waiting for the "D820" to come out before I upgrade from my 800E

If they decide to chase Canon, go crazy on the megapickles and don't actually improve on anything else, I'm gonna be pissed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top