Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 4:11:50 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting an entry level DSLR.  Does anyone have any opinions on the Nikon D5300 and D3300 for action photos, specifically shooting and scenic stuff outdoors?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The differences are negligible for the most part. Depends on the budget. For 'action' photography (high-speed, potentially low light indoors) on a budget, I would go in this order:

D5300 body only with used Nikon 70-200 f/4 @ ~$1500
D3300 body only with used Nikon 70-200 f/4 @ ~$1200 (best value I believe)
D5300 kit with 55-200 @ ~$1000
D3300 kit with 55-200 @ ~$800

I use a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 on a D5300 (fifth Nikon body). Very happy with it. The 5xxx is a great middle ground as long as youre okay buying newer AF-S lenses. Flip screen is surprisingly convenient. Shot with fancier bodies and theres just not enough value in them for me yet. Regardless, once youre pretty familiar with the art, lenses will be the limiting factor 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a D3300 on Amazon awhile back, new, for under $600.  We have D5300s at work though, and Reiko is right about the flip screen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]
For gun-related action, both cameras will do fine.

The problem most folks have with the D3000 and D5000 lines are their really small sizes if you have big hands. Before buying one, go to a camera store and play with them to make sure their size is not going to cause you problems.

Between the D3300 and D5300, I would go with the D5300 for the much better auto-focus system.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For gun-related action, both cameras will do fine.

The problem most folks have with the D3000 and D5000 lines are their really small sizes if you have big hands. Before buying one, go to a camera store and play with them to make sure their size is not going to cause you problems.

Between the D3300 and D5300, I would go with the D5300 for the much better auto-focus system.
View Quote

Yup.  And if you don't mind a factory refurb, you can get a D5300 with 18-55VR from Adorama for right under $600 shipped right now.  It's what I'm looking at upgrading from my D5100 to.  (provided my D5100 sells.  I imagine $450 for the body and 18-55 would sell pretty quick on facebook though)
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'm going to go with the Nikon D5300.  Right now I'm trying to decide between the 2 kits offered by Nikon with a 18-140 and 18-55.  Any opinions on which might be better for my uses?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to go with the Nikon D5300.  Right now I'm trying to decide between the 2 kits offered by Nikon with a 18-140 and 18-55.  Any opinions on which might be better for my uses?
View Quote

Between those two, 140mm for sure. It may not be as fun to carry around (18-55 is no pancake though) but it'll be more versatile. In theory, the 18-55mm should be paired with the 55-200mm but 18-140mm is a more practical range and consolidated to one lens. If you go that route, I would encourage you to look at the 35mm f/1.8 DX at some point too. Its ~$190 and, if you haven't shot with a wide aperture in the past, will get you real enthusiastic about your work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
For real action sports shooting with entry level pricing from Nikon, you are basically looking at a used D300 in ex+ condition for about $500 and no video.  There will be an uplift for the D300s that includes video capability.

Brand new, entry level DLSRs generally, or almost always, forgo fast action capability.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
While I am just getting started back into the DSLR's (have a D80) and have very little experience I opted to go with the D7000 with 18-140mm kit from BB that is now on sale for $629!!!!!

That's half what it cost new.

And I do beleive it is a better performer for what you're looking for.  It is a bit faster focusing with more autofocus points (but don't quote me on that, all the numbers started blurring together after a while.)

Shortcomings are a smaller sensor (16mp vs. the newer 24mp)...but even with my 10mp D80 I never said "gee, I sure wish I have a gazillion more pixels!"  Unless you plan to crop a lot, I think we're at a point of diminishing returns.  Sensors get better but not necessarily due to pixel density iteration increases.

You also get pretty poor video compared to the newer ones.  Again, interest for me.

GPS and wifi are other options you may get with the newer bodies.

I also have an older non AF-S lens that needs the motor in the body.

My choice was a no brainier and I think I got a much better value.

I had actually bought the D5200 and while I'm sure it would have been fantastic, I realized that using the older lenses was a big issue for me.  FYI the older prime lenses can be almost stolen if you troll craigslist regularly....

To relate acquiring a DSLR system to our beloved AR's think of the lenses as the AR itself, the body is actually the "accessory" that you will upgrade every few years.  Sink your money in the platform (lenses!)

Finally, for most people, your first DSLR will determine what system you will be mostly likely set with for life.  That's why I didn't even look at Canon this time.  I have three lenses, a flash and Nikon accessories totaling over $1500 already.

Good luck!  You can't really go wrong, so you'll be happy either way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for all the great advice, it was really helpful.

One last question

In terms of mics for video what's better a shotgun style mic that mounts to the camera body or a wireless mic?

Does an external mic make that much of a difference?

I have a 3 gun sponsor that requires me to shoot reviews and demos and I'd like to be able to give them the best I can.  Within my fairly small budget that is lol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One last question

In terms of mics for video what's better a shotgun style mic that mounts to the camera body or a wireless mic?

I have a 3 gun sponsor that requires me to shoot reviews and demos and I'd like to be able to give them the best I can.  Within my fairly small budget that is lol.
View Quote

A lot of it depends on the shooting environment. Recording sound is as much a science/art as photography/video. Im not an expert in the field so take the following with a grain of salt... Its mostly my experiences and two years-ish of research.

The mic on the D5300 blows. Using the Line-in to power a mic is even worse! Dont plan on using Nikon's cute looking $100 mic. Basically, the cameras audio is only best for matching to that of an external source. On one hand, itd be great if they could do nice audio with their 1080p60 video but, on the other, its a freakin camera, right? If you want good sound, youll need an external recorder. Some mics already have them built in. Shure has a well received contender though there are others. If that route is a little rich for your blood, this Rode mic has a battery to amp up the signal a bit and may give the D5300's line-in a chance to record some decent sound by reducing the gain required by the camera.

For one or two people talking close to each other, a shotgun is not a bad idea. It will give you some reach without too much ambient/rear noise though you will have to find the optimal distance for your application. A lavaliere mic isnt a bad direction thought they tend to be a little more expensive with recording equipment last I checked and only good for one person each. Supposedly, theyre the best for spoken vocals because they record closer to the vocal chords and grant the speaker more of a presence. Again, depends on the environment.

Another more versatile option is a Linear PCM Recorder. They usually have a few mics built in that can turn to either do a wide field or a narrow field. You can pair most of them (ones with phantom power) with external mics if you need something more specialized in the future. I have this one and had good luck pairing it with an external shotgun mic. I can record the ambient audio and vocals on three different tracks (stereo ambient, mono shotgun) and then mix afterwards.

Just some ideas and alternatives. IMHO your best value is probably something like the Shure.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A lot of it depends on the shooting environment. Recording sound is as much a science/art as photography/video. Im not an expert in the field so take the following with a grain of salt... Its mostly my experiences and two years-ish of research.

The mic on the D5300 blows. Using the Line-in to power a mic is even worse! Dont plan on using Nikon's cute looking $100 mic. Basically, the cameras audio is only best for matching to that of an external source. On one hand, itd be great if they could do nice audio with their 1080p60 video but, on the other, its a freakin camera, right? If you want good sound, youll need an external recorder. Some mics already have them built in. Shure has a well received contender though there are others. If that route is a little rich for your blood, this Rode mic has a battery to amp up the signal a bit and may give the D5300's line-in a chance to record some decent sound by reducing the gain required by the camera.

For one or two people talking close to each other, a shotgun is not a bad idea. It will give you some reach without too much ambient/rear noise though you will have to find the optimal distance for your application. A lavaliere mic isnt a bad direction thought they tend to be a little more expensive with recording equipment last I checked and only good for one person each. Supposedly, theyre the best for spoken vocals because they record closer to the vocal chords and grant the speaker more of a presence. Again, depends on the environment.

Another more versatile option is a Linear PCM Recorder. They usually have a few mics built in that can turn to either do a wide field or a narrow field. You can pair most of them (ones with phantom power) with external mics if you need something more specialized in the future. I have this one and had good luck pairing it with an external shotgun mic. I can record the ambient audio and vocals on three different tracks (stereo ambient, mono shotgun) and then mix afterwards.

Just some ideas and alternatives. IMHO your best value is probably something like the Shure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One last question

Thanks a lot.  I was considering trying the voice recorder set up and just edit stuff together but I from what your saying and what I'm reading online some type of camera mounted mic should be a priority for me.  I was considering the Rhode Go mic.  It uses the camera for power but it's more within my budget.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GQDORA4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Any opinions on that one?

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks a lot.  I was considering trying the voice recorder set up and just edit stuff together but I from what your saying and what I'm reading online some type of camera mounted mic should be a priority for me.  I was considering the Rhode Go mic.  It uses the camera for power but it's more within my budget.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GQDORA4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One last question

Using the camera's Line-In, especially for power, is going to yield poor-terrible results regardless of mic quality. I would strongly encourage you to not do that... Better off recording with your phone and mixing in post.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One last question

If I were to make videos, and it was just me talking, I'd get a rhode smart lav and record with a zoom h4n, then mix. I'd run you around $300 off of amazon and will be hard to beat the sound quality for the price. If there need to be two people I'd get another smart lav. If you don't want to mess with mics you can record directly to the h4n and it sounds ok( far better than any built in camera mic) but the smart lav is only $75 and will give you way better sound than you need.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I were to make videos, and it was just me talking, I'd get a rhode smart lav and record with a zoom h4n, then mix. I'd run you around $300 off of amazon and will be hard to beat the sound quality for the price. If there need to be two people I'd get another smart lav. If you don't want to mess with mics you can record directly to the h4n and it sounds ok( far better than any built in camera mic) but the smart lav is only $75 and will give you way better sound than you need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One last question

I may consider that for the reviews I have to film but I also have to shoot match stages, drills and award ceremonis where I'll need to film a whole room.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I may consider that for the reviews I have to film but I also have to shoot match stages, drills and award ceremonis where I'll need to film a whole room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One last question

The go mic sounds ok, but if you can squeeze it out the video mic pro sounds better. As long as you get your levels correct, it'll sound good.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Action shots like BMX, Skateboarding, Motocross?

You will need some powerful strobes or mono lights.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Action shots like BMX, Skateboarding, Motocross?

You will need some powerful strobes or mono lights.

http://youtu.be/_ZANzwKXwZs
View Quote

I'll mainly be shooting 3 gun, uspsa and other action shooting matches.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll mainly be shooting 3 gun, uspsa and other action shooting matches.
View Quote

That is not really fast action stuff. Any of the DSLRs will do you just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top