Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 3:21:15 PM EDT
Out of curiosity for a project I would like to one day do.... I have a small jacket of WWII photos that I inherited. Mostly out of the bomb bay doors of bombers with bombs visible in the air over Europe.

I'd like to one day make these digital. Can you simply scan these type of photos? Will that destroy the hard copies? They lived in a footlocker for ~70 years in a manilla folder and aren't in great shape now. I currently have them in a photo album that is supposed to be acid free etc etc.

Eventually I'll see if a museum wants them, but for now I'd at least like to digitize them to protect from fire and time and am looking for simple and cost effective ways to do this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a scanner. Not a cheap three in one jobbie either.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362752,00.asp
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. So bright lights and such shouldn't mess them up or increase their degradation?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks. So bright lights and such shouldn't mess them up or increase their degradation?
View Quote

Don't leave them out in direct sunlight for weeks on end.

Scan them in, that won't hurt them.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks. Looks like I'll be getting a scanner later this year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
There are many commercial shops that will do a high resolution scan for a reasonable price. How many photos are you processing? Do you have use for the scanner after you're done?

If you're going to donate the pictures to a museum, you might try to find one that has a conservation/preservation department and see if they would provide you with good scans in return for donating the pictures.

If it's not too many, there might be someone on ARFCOM with the necessary equipment and skills to help you out.

Right now I'm in the middle of scanning a large load of B&W negatives (120 & 4x5) from my great grand mother's collection. It's a job, but rewarding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top