Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 2:15:31 AM EDT
so as you know i picked up my first DSLR on black friday. learning all the ins and outs, and today i picked up a flash, the canon 430 EX II. all i have to say is, WOW, i cannot believe the difference. i also picked up the T3i for dummies, Busch's guide for the T3i, and another T3i book, snapshots or something (the book is in one of the bags from our shopping excursion today), so i have some great reading to do.

some before and after shots of the flash, showcasing another buy today

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Great!  When you get comfortable with using it, or maybe even before, pick up a copy of The Hot Shoe Diaries or something similar.  

There are a lot of great things you can do with an external flash, even if it's still attached to the camera, but where you'll get your real value is when it's taken off.  Still, like I said, there's a lot you can do just by swiveling the head and bouncing it off something white.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out Zack Arias' One Light lecture. It's a good one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
With single light, definitely start learning how to use reflectors. You can feather light, even with small flash, and use reflectors to help fill.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
www.strobist.com

Read as much of this blog as you can possibly stand.  Start with lighting 101.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
There are some nifty miniature softboxes you can buy (or make if you're handy) to help even more, too.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#6]
A little off-topic... get the Magic Lantern firmware add-on. It enables some real cool shit on your camera!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top