Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 9:13:26 PM EDT
Here is Rupert. He is my yellow lab that I adopted, he has an enlarged bladder which the vet tells me its like drinking water and pissing vinegar. It's not his fault. I bought a Nikon D3200 a while ago and I have been tinkering around with it. I only have the 18-55 mm lens that came with it, and I have to say this is the best picture I have ever taken with the camera.  I am still trying to figure out how to take really good pictures and I dont use auto focus I try to stay on manual.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pic. I've been reading a bit myself, trying to figure out the manual mode and tried "bracketing" to see what the pics look like on three different settings. I'm tempted to get out a notebook and start recording each shot, but with the info right there in the camera, maybe that's a bit outdated too.

I've had my Canon 60D DSLR for about a year now, and just this past month took it out for the first time and put some time and effort into learning it - picked up a guide book (well written by a guy named Bush), very informative.

I picked up a Canon G16 today at Best Buy, amazing little camera. I wish I'd had enough $$ to go with the Canon G1X Mark II, but I had to stop at $450.00 (the G1X Mark II is $799.00) because the wife is getting a little annoyed with this camera thing.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here is Rupert. He is my yellow lab that I adopted, he has an enlarged bladder which the vet tells me its like drinking water and pissing vinegar. It's not his fault. I bought a Nikon D3200 a while ago and I have been tinkering around with it. I only have the 18-55 mm lens that came with it, and I have to say this is the best picture I have ever taken with the camera.  I am still trying to figure out how to take really good pictures and I dont use auto focus I try to stay on manual.
View Quote

Manual focus is a good way to lose lots of shots.  DSLRs do not make it easy to do manual focus due to the lack of the traditional focus aids from the old SLR days.

Semi-auto exposure modes work well, too.  I am usually running in aperture-priority mode: I pick the aperture for the shallow/medium/deep depth of field that I want, see what the camera is suggesting for a shutter speed, adjust the ISO to get the shutter speed in the range I want to freeze/blur motion.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice pic. I've been reading a bit myself, trying to figure out the manual mode and tried "bracketing" to see what the pics look like on three different settings. I'm tempted to get out a notebook and start recording each shot, but with the info right there in the camera, maybe that's a bit outdated too.

I've had my Canon 60D DSLR for about a year now, and just this past month took it out for the first time and put some time and effort into learning it - picked up a guide book (well written by a guy named Bush), very informative.

I picked up a Canon G16 today at Best Buy, amazing little camera. I wish I'd had enough $$ to go with the Canon G1X Mark II, but I had to stop at $450.00 (the G1X Mark II is $799.00) because the wife is getting a little annoyed with this camera thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/satcong/IMG_0581_zpsba5f7a8e.jpg

View Quote

I watch a lot of fro knows photo vids on youtube. I like them. he explains a lot.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Manual exposure settings are what you should be using, not manual focus.

There are very very few circumstances where manual focus will be better than autofocus. And very very very few cameras whose autofocus systems suck bad enough that manual focus is more accurate.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Rupe looks like he is focus locked...
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rupe looks like he is focus locked...
View Quote

Nope he just stares at stupid shit. He is still in the stupid Lab stage.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Great shot and great lighting.  I bet if you cropped that down to a vertical 8x10, removing the white space to the left and balancing it a bit, it would make a great framed picture to put on the wall.  Maybe use an old distressed wood frame too.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great shot and great lighting.  I bet if you cropped that down to a vertical 8x10, removing the white space to the left and balancing it a bit, it would make a great framed picture to put on the wall.  Maybe use an old distressed wood frame too.  

View Quote

I have no idea how to do that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Old Yeller!
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send me a link to download the original image and I'll do it fer ya, and show ya what i'm talking about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top