Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2014 11:12:07 AM EDT
We are expecting our first child and my wife wants a new camera that when she pushes the button it takes a picture right away with out lagging. I believe that might be called shutter speed. Does anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
A DSLR
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Auto focus and auto exposure are reasons for the lag. Set the camera to manual and it'll be instant every time.

My Canon G11 has a "quick shot" mode that I can preset for everything. It goes snap.

Shutter speed, as you have described it, doesn't cause a lag between the button press and the snap of the camera. It merely sets how long the shutter is open, which the human can't detect even at slow speeds like 1/60 seconds and faster. A fast shutter speed catches fast action in a freeze-frame with no blur. Fast shutter speeds also allow less light into the exposure, and slow shutter speeds allow more light in to the exposure.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
speed not needed for these types of pics .
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the much hated shutter lag.  You'll want to avoid a 'point-n-shoot' camera.  The have atrocious shutter lag.  A previous poster mentioned a DSLR - and I agree, although there may be a make and model out there that's got an acceptable shutter lag without breaking $800.  

When you do your research, look for the specification "shutter lag".
Ray
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. They actually spec the shutter lag? I never knew.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, the much hated shutter lag.  You'll want to avoid a 'point-n-shoot' camera.  The have atrocious shutter lag.  A previous poster mentioned a DSLR - and I agree, although there may be a make and model out there that's got an acceptable shutter lag without breaking $800.  

When you do your research, look for the specification "shutter lag".
Ray
View Quote

Ray has you pointed in the right direction. The easiest way to avoid shutter lag is with a DSLR.  However, some of the advanced (not cheap) point-n-shots may get you where you want to go, but it will take some research on your part.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the replies. It gives me a starting point for research.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I feel like one of the comparison sites lists shutter specs within their comparisons. Snapsort maybe?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We are expecting our first child and my wife wants a new camera that when she pushes the button it takes a picture right away with out lagging. I believe that might be called shutter speed. Does anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks
View Quote

canon s120

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1000471-REG/canon_8407b001_powershot_s120_digital_camera.html

Very quick and easy to use camera.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The Sony RX100 looks to have very little shutter lag, and it's actually a pretty fantastic camera all around.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at a Canon T3i or T5i (newer version), especially if you also are interested in shooting video.

If you don't have No interest in shooting video, look at the T3 or T5.

A previous poster got it right when he stated that you don't need burst shots for what you were describing. However, if that's an option you want the cameras I mentioned will do the trick without breaking the bank.  They will also treat you well as you continue to take pix of the baby/family.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Auto focus and auto exposure are reasons for the lag. Set the camera to manual and it'll be instant every time.

My Canon G11 has a "quick shot" mode that I can preset for everything. It goes snap.

Shutter speed, as you have described it, doesn't cause a lag between the button press and the snap of the camera. It merely sets how long the shutter is open, which the human can't detect even at slow speeds like 1/60 seconds and faster. A fast shutter speed catches fast action in a freeze-frame with no blur. Fast shutter speeds also allow less light into the exposure, and slow shutter speeds allow more light in to the exposure.

View Quote

Canon eliminated the "quickshot" mode dial on the newer models (G16 doesn't have it) because the AF and shutter are so much faster now. I flipped when I changed from the G11 to the G16 yesterday. Night and day, night and day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Sony RX100 series almost nill on shutter lag and AWESOME camera to boot.

Sony A6000 (sometimes I think this camera is faster then my D750) Higher in the price range, mirrorless, Zeiss brand lenses. (I believe mirrorless is the future)

I used to be a fan of the Canon S series (s95, 100 etc) but I think there are faster cameras out there.

Others I have only read about but do not actually own:

Canon G7X

Canon G16

Sony RX10

Fuji XT-1

Olympus OMD Line

Almost any entry level DSLR is pretty quick.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the suggested cameras.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top