Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2014 8:36:24 PM EDT
I am looking hard at the 105mm...any others I should consider?  Shooting on a DX camera.

Well looking at both the 105mm lenses.  The VR version is around $900 and the non VR version is around $400 used.

I already have a 50mm 2.8, 17-55mm and a 18-200 VRII.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious about this as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The big question usually is, how much room to you want between your lens and the subject?  Most folks prefer more working space, but that does cost more money.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The big question usually is, how much room to you want between your lens and the subject?  Most folks prefer more working space, but that does cost more money.

View Quote
The more the better. Which is why I'm leaning towards the 105mm versus the smaller ones. The zoom model, 70-200, (I think) looks great but is $2k+

ETA: primary use will probably be stationary objects with controlled lighting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#4]
105 all the way.  I love this lens.

I love it for portraits too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]

If you don't need the ultrasonic auto focus or image stabilization, get the older version. It's much smaller & lighter and has better working distance. IS or VR is not very useful for Macro shots. Both that and the auto focus are for using the lens as a telephoto prime. All version of the Nikon 105mm lens are also great for use as portrait lens.

Btw, my two best lens are the Nikkor 105mm DC and 45mm PC-E.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
the 105 VR will not disappoint.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The more the better. Which is why I'm leaning towards the 105mm versus the smaller ones. The zoom model, 70-200, (I think) looks great but is $2k+  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you realize that the 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens is not a macro lens and has a minimum focus distance of five feet.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

As long as you realize that the 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens is not a macro lens and has a minimum focus distance of five feet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My bad! 70-180.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I use an old manual lens.  The 55mm Micro.  Consider on a fixed object, AF isn't all that important.  And the formulas for prime lenses have hardly changed in the past 40 years.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I really dig the Tamron 90mm (on a D7100).

Zero complaints.

Plenty of room if you aren't going really small.

This is as far as I have been able to push it. Still a few focus issues on some grains, but I got tired of chasing it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The Tamron 90 is a very nice lens and is SHARP. Since moving to FX, I acquired a Nikon 200mm f/4 micro and haven't used the Tamron since.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy the old manual focus lens. Stabilization and AF are unneeded in macro work.
And you'll save a ton of money
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my case, I prefer the AF and like to keep my hands as far away from the subject as possible.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shot these two yesterday with the 105mm VR. AF was on...

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In my case, I prefer the AF and like to keep my hands as far away from the subject as possible.  

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5441/9537703051_5b0003c61c_k.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the distance between the camera and the focus ring on the lens represents a valuable distance from the snake to your body, one might consider using a longer lens.

Regardless, that is a great photo!

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If the distance between the camera and the focus ring on the lens represents a valuable distance from the snake to your body, one might consider using a longer lens.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I use the 200mm instead of the 105! lol
I know its just a couple of inches gained by not having to use the focus ring, but more importantly, the lack of movement by manually operating the focus ring with my left hand is a huge advantage for me. I don't need the heat signature from my hand dangling out there.
Thanks, I was pretty pleased with that image too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top