Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
How can I improve?  I know I need to work on diffusing the flash a little better as it likes to reflect off the X300s and the stainless.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Decent start.  I'd tone down the lights some, either with diffusion or on power, and work with positioning them a bit lower to skim off the subject a bit more.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Decent start.  I'd tone down the lights some, either with diffusion or on power, and work with positioning them a bit lower to skim off the subject a bit more.
View Quote
That makes sense.  I had one flash at about the height of the guns and another mounted to the camera as my 2nd trigger hasn't arrived yet.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That makes sense.  I had one flash at about the height of the guns and another mounted to the camera as my 2nd trigger hasn't arrived yet.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the mounted flash a popup, or is it a true mounted flash?  If it's mounted, just swivel the flash so that it's not hitting the subject, but still tripping the other strobe.  See what that does for ya.

Lighting is all about starting out with a foundation, then experimenting until you get it right.  Start with a formula:  Position....Diffusion.....Intensity

For instance, start with cross-lighting.  Place the subject in the middle, then two lights pointing at each other.  Experiment with positioning them not only laterally, but also vertically.

Then on to diffusion, if needed.  Also work with bouncing the light via reflectors and such.

Then adjust the brightness of the light until you have a decent exposure.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the mounted flash a popup, or is it a true mounted flash?  If it's mounted, just swivel the flash so that it's not hitting the subject, but still tripping the other strobe.  See what that does for ya.

Lighting is all about starting out with a foundation, then experimenting until you get it right.  Start with a formula:  Position....Diffusion.....Intensity

For instance, start with cross-lighting.  Place the subject in the middle, then two lights pointing at each other.  Experiment with positioning them not only laterally, but also vertically.

Then on to diffusion, if needed.  Also work with bouncing the light via reflectors and such.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a true mounted flash.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  You should just be able to twist the head over and point it either behind you or at the strobe and it'll go off.  If not, try putting a piece of aluminum foil behind the slave so that it reflects the light into the hole.  Or if the head doesn't twist, cover much of it up with foil only so the light goes towards the strobe.  Anything to keep it from hitting your subject.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely diffuse those lights.  Your shooting on a tripod, right?  Why do you even need a flash?  You can play with shutter to get exposure you want at your aperture.

Edit, this one is a little blown out, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the others. Just a little blown out, but certainly not unsalvageable. Try to get some more extreme angle on the subject. In combination with the blown out background, they look very flat when shot from almost straight on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I agree with the others. Just a little blown out, but certainly not unsalvageable. Try to get some more extreme angle on the subject. In combination with the blown out background, they look very flat when shot from almost straight on.
View Quote
Thanks!  Trying out some new angles today along with a piece of glass to help eliminate shadows.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Hows this?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/gentleman4561/media/DSC_0805_zps57bf6ba1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/DSC_0805_zps57bf6ba1.jpg</a>

Hows this?
View Quote

A lot better, but are you shining a light up from the glass?  Notice that faint "glow" at the top of the knife blade?  You can fix that (if you want to) by lessening the intensity of the back light.  You'll also notice the knife, especially around the handle, is a bit washed out or "fuzzy."  That's probably from a back light.  Just diffuse it or tone it down a bit and you should be golden.  The main light looks fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#11]
You can use a long exposure and a low power light to "paint" the image if you do not want shadows.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A lot better, but are you shining a light up from the glass?  Notice that faint "glow" at the top of the knife blade?  You can fix that (if you want to) by lessening the intensity of the back light.  You'll also notice the knife, especially around the handle, is a bit washed out or "fuzzy."  That's probably from a back light.  Just diffuse it or tone it down a bit and you should be golden.  The main light looks fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/gentleman4561/media/DSC_0805_zps57bf6ba1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/DSC_0805_zps57bf6ba1.jpg</a>

Hows this?

That makes sense.  The set up for this was

Item on glass in a soft box

Flash mounted to camera with a diffuser angled to the left to bounce the light to the knife

Flash outside the soft box on the right angled up (Sounds like thats the one I need to tone down)
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Just remember that 10 seconds of post can make a big difference.  Even Ansel Adams did his best work in the darkroom. (sorry for the edit without permission).

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just remember that 10 seconds of post can make a big difference.  Even Ansel Adams did his best work in the darkroom. (sorry for the edit without permission).

http://www.digitalperf.com/pix/dsc.jpg
View Quote

Yup.    Ansel thought of the negative as the sheet music and the processing as the performance.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup.    Ansel thought of the negative as the sheet music and the processing as the performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.digitalperf.com/pix/dsc.jpg

He would've gone to work for ILM had he come of age in this decade.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Flash mounted to camera with a diffuser angled to the left to bounce the light to the knife
Flash outside the soft box on the right angled up (Sounds like thats the one I need to tone down)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hows this?

If you're trying to do back lighting with glass or something below, remember that you only need a very very slight bit of strobe.  Like, at its lowest setting, and diffused.  Especially when it's that close.  It doesn't seem possible, but light will "bend" around and it'll mess up your contrast a lot.  It's part of that whole lens-flare concept that sci-fi directors like to use nowadays.

Back lighting to make the background white/shadowless is a lot different than backlighting to add a kicker, though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Here are some more attempts.  The NF scope came out dark but I kinda like it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Top one is cool. I think it could be tweaked a little but it's a good start.

Bottom one is overexposed and flat. Pictures with no depth just aren't interesting. I get the symmetry look, but it looks like a backpage ad.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Top one is cool. I think it could be tweaked a little but it's a good start.

Bottom one is overexposed and flat. Pictures with no depth just aren't interesting. I get the symmetry look, but it looks like a backpage ad.
View Quote
That makes sense.  The first one is my favorite.  

What kind of tweaks would you recommend?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#20]
The nightforce pic is dark, you are correct, but its flaw is that it sinks back into the background.  Do you have a flashlight with a greenish filter on it?  Try "painting" the background with it as you make your exposure.  Just a little sliver of light would make a huge difference and make it shine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The nightforce pic is dark, you are correct, but its flaw is that it sinks back into the background.  Do you have a flashlight with a greenish filter on it?  Try "painting" the background with it as you make your exposure.  Just a little sliver of light would make a huge difference and make it shine.
View Quote
Good call. I can make a green filter out of something.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top