Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 2:01:52 AM EDT
I had a D40 that was stolen then bought a D80 off of a member a few years back, don't remember who it was but he gave me an AWESOME deal. Thanks again if you're reading this!

Anyways, I am looking to upgrade.  I have been happy with the D80 but the ISO really starts to fall apart past 1000.  I am looking at all of Nikons new cameras and am pretty confused.  I am leaning towards an FX camera in enthusiast range.  

I take a mixture of pictures.  Street portraits, landscape/nature, pictures of 3 gun and a little bit of product photography.  I am not opposed to another DX camera as I have 3 DX lenses already.  I know I can use them on a FX body but that kinda defeats the purpose.

Anyways, let me know what cameras y'all recommend!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I quit upgrading when I got my D300, but I don't ever need to go past 1600 iso. If you really need high ISO performance there is nothing that beats FX ( assuming you already have fast <F1.8 glass. )

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I quit upgrading when I got my D300, but I don't ever need to go past 1600 iso. If you really need high ISO performance there is nothing that beats FX ( assuming you already have fast <F1.8 glass. )  
View Quote
I do have some fast glass already.  I am looking hard at the D7000 if I go with the DX sensor.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
What's your budget?  Unlimited? Easy answer is d4s. Constrained a bit the d610/d750. Constrained a bit more? D7100.

Also it's not really a waste to use your Dx glass on a new high performance body. You still get the great ISO and DR and autofocus performance of the new body, you just don't get the full resolution.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]
On the DX side of things, the D7100 is your best bet since the D300S has never been upgraded.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What's your budget?  Unlimited? Easy answer is d4s. Constrained a bit the d610/d750. Constrained a bit more? D7100.

Also it's not really a waste to use your Dx glass on a new high performance body. You still get the great ISO and DR and autofocus performance of the new body, you just don't get the full resolution.
View Quote
The $1k price range is probably what I am shooting for.  Being able to pick up a refurb for around $850 certainly isn't to bad for the 7100.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a D40 that was stolen then bought a D80 off of a member a few years back, don't remember who it was but he gave me an AWESOME deal. Thanks again if you're reading this!

View Quote

You're very welcome. I think I sold that thing to you for $75.  That was my very first DSLR. If you are interested in selling it back once you get the new one let me know, whether it works or not. In fact, I'll trade you a D90 with grip to get it back? That D80 started a hobby that is now a full time commercial photo career.  

It was under my old handle theliberating1.  I lost my password and the email address it was under had been deleted... staff was dragging their feet so I just created a new account.

I'm going to get rid of my D3S pretty soon. I can't offer the same kind of discount, but I'd be willing to chat if you're interested.

Otherwise, take a look at the D750 or D610 if you're looking at entry level Nikon FF. I also see D600 used on crags list from $1100-1500. Might be a good option.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You're very welcome. I think I sold that thing to you for $75.  That was my very first DSLR. If you are interested in selling it back once you get the new one let me know, whether it works or not. In fact, I'll trade you a D90 with grip to get it back? That D80 started a hobby that is now a full time commercial photo career.  

It was under my old handle theliberating1.  I lost my password and the email address it was under had been deleted... staff was dragging their feet so I just created a new account.

I'm going to get rid of my D3S pretty soon. I can't offer the same kind of discount, but I'd be willing to chat if you're interested.

Otherwise, take a look at the D750 or D610 if you're looking at entry level Nikon FF. I also see D600 used on crags list from $1100-1500. Might be a good option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you did!  i greatly appreciate it!  IM sent

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The $1k price range is probably what I am shooting for.  Being able to pick up a refurb for around $850 certainly isn't to bad for the 7100.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get the 7100 you will be quite pleased.

The ISO capabilities of this camera are flat out ridiculous.

DSC_6050 by Zack3g, on Flickr

Ambient light, outdoors at night. ISO 25,600!

Yeah, it's noisy. That's what a D90 looks like at ISO1600ish.

25,600!!!!!!!!!!

If it was a gotta get it picture once in a life time thing...this camera can do it. Will it be noisy? Sure. Will it provide acceptable results at virtually any given ISO depending on the glass/shooter/circumstances? FUCK YEAH!

Get it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a low shutter count D3, $1500+/-.

9 FPS.

ISO 4000 comfortably.

2-3k pics per charge, depending on how much glass you are autofocusing.

Saw one sell on flea bay 2 weeks ago, 8k clicks on a 300k click US body.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:49:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, I though you off and died or something...

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:52:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Buy a low shutter count D3, $1500+/-.

9 FPS.

ISO 4000 comfortably.

2-3k pics per charge, depending on how much glass you are autofocusing.

Saw one sell on flea bay 2 weeks ago, 8k clicks on a 300k click US body.
View Quote
This is what I did for $1600.  I was looking to buy a D700 and I'm sure I'da been happy with it for a couple hundred less, but I love the D3.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
My D750 comes in tomorrow.  I currently have a D600.  You can get a used D600 on the cheap and get the shutter replaced by Nikon for free (on mine, I have never really noticed any extra oil or dust like others have so I never did the shutter swap).

Go full frame used or go D7100.

I came from a D80 to a D600, like going from a horse and buggy to a Ferrari.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The D750 is getting some really stellar reviews.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I upgraded from a D90 to the D600 (which is currently into Nikon for the sensor replacement - issues kicked in while on vacation last week, go figure) and that jump was like others have said - night and day.

We also have a D7100, which I actually prefer for sport/bird photo work.  The D600 is definitely better for portrait/landscape type work, but otherwise, I use the two cameras pretty interchangeably.  Both bodies have great results up to 3200 ISO - maybe beyond, but I don't tend to try to push it past that.

When I upgraded from the D90, I sold off all my DX stuff to a buddy and built up a bit of a collection of FX lenses, but I miss my Tokina 11-16 which I'd love to have back/use on the D7100.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my D600 when I get it back - may sell it off while I can still get a decent bit of money out of it and go to D750, or wait and see what the D9300 has to offer when/if announced (vaporware for now, but could be the D300 replacement).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My D750 comes in tomorrow.  I currently have a D600.  You can get a used D600 on the cheap and get the shutter replaced by Nikon for free (on mine, I have never really noticed any extra oil or dust like others have so I never did the shutter swap).

View Quote

What advantages do you see in the 7100 over the 7000?  Is it worth the price difference?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:56:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What advantages do you see in the 7100 over the 7000?  Is it worth the price difference?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1.  Better autofocus

2.  Better Sensor with high resolution

3.  No AA filter, which may or may not be for everyone.

4.  Better sealed body

I am assuming you are looking at the 7000 used?  I am not even sure how much the price difference is between the two.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

1.  Better autofocus
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.  Better autofocus

4.  Better sealed body

I am assuming you are looking at the 7000 used?  I am not even sure how much the price difference is between the two.
My thoughts exactly.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1.  Better autofocus
4.  Better sealed body

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Better autofocus
4.  Better sealed body

Yes.  I've been looking at KEH for bodies and there's about a $200 or $300 price difference between the 7000 and the 7100.

What is the AA filter?

Also, I've read comments on Nikon's website about the 7100 not having image stabilization, whereas the 7000 does.

The main thing about these two bodies is the price range and the ability to utilize and meter with my AIS lenses.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yes.  I've been looking at KEH for bodies and there's about a $200 or $300 price difference between the 7000 and the 7100.

What is the AA filter?

Also, I've read comments on Nikon's website about the 7100 not having image stabilization, whereas the 7000 does.

The main thing about these two bodies is the price range and the ability to utilize and meter with my AIS lenses.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.  Better autofocus

4.  Better sealed body

What is the AA filter?

Is that used vs new price difference or used vs used?

Do a google on AA filter, a bit to much to explain here.

As far as I know NONE of Nikon DSLR bodies have IS, only the lenses do so this should be a non issue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#20]
These are used prices.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I shoot quite a bit of low-light and night photography of the local high school marching band. I have a refurb'ed D5200, this was way better than my decade old D40X, which was really bad in poor light that I shoot in. Since you already have already own 3 DX lenses, I would stick with a DX camera, because  personally I am always running on a budget.

But the feature that I like about the D5x00 cameras is the articulated viewing screen. You can take low-angle shots and high "over the head "shots with practically zero effort

True, there is not all of the bells & whistles of a D7x00 camera, because the D7x00-series is way north of advance amateur gear and borders on low-level pro. I would say D7x00-series is the equivalent of a D90 in the Nikon line in its day.

BTW  if you can find the equivalent Nikon refurbished equipment buy it, I have bought much of them, and you can save quite a bit of money  and if you are a worried about camera repairs buy the warranties offered by the retailers.. But personally I don't think you will really need it. From what I can see the only difference is that don't have the fancy box and the 3 year warranty, it comes with Nikon's 90 day. BUT I have never had any Nikon equipment fail me, and I used my old D40X for at >150,000 photos. and it is still going strong and I still use it to this day. If you are collector of camera equipment, I suggest the 1st quality because it comes with with nice box, collector value decrease quite a bit without the original factory box.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]

I got a D5200 body for a good price if you want to go that way. Only used it for a few hours of video. I went from my d300 to a d610 and OH MAN full frame is bad ass if you can swing it. It helps that I had FF glass from the get go.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I got a helluva buy on a Nikon D600. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing when I doubt that I really do..............    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top