Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 1:57:44 PM EDT
Looking at getting into a DSLR, and it's going to be a lower-end model (nikon 3100, Canon T3i, other?) and was wondering if anyone here messes with infrared shots using a filter.  I'm not looking to have a camera converted, but some cool pictures can be had using only a filter depending on the camera's ability to capture infrared.  I've got a couple point and shoots that pass the 'tv remote control test'.

Anyway, some DSLRs detect it more than others, and I'm curious if anyone here has experience with it using the more inexpensive cameras or which work best.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I've messed around with the lens filters a little bit.  Older cameras as a rule of thumb are going to work out a heck of a lot better than the new ones.  At this point, I'd look for a used D40/70 that's been converted to IR.  Those bodies are cheap these days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the older cameras work better for IR photography.  As the technology improves, so does the filtering out of the IR range.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I've been reading on IR and also full spectrum conversions for modern dslrs.  Ultraviolet would be fun to mess with too.  A full sprectrum conversion (removal of UV and IR filters) requires the use of external UV and IR filters for normal photography.  And then there's an astronomy conversion, which allows a particular wavelength produced by hydrogen to show up, which gets you nice pictures of nebulas and such.

Damn I need 2 or 3 cameras I guess.

I'll check on the other models mentioned though.  Thanks

* $65 for a used D70 on amazon  Looking at specs now for the 40 and 70.  Kinda frustrating because I have the money to buy whatever camera setup I want, "can't take it with me... I know", D7000?  No problem.  I just have to be a cheapass for the time being due to income issues.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]

or get a Canon 60Da, it was made without the IR filter, it is made for astrophotography which needs IR light more to capture the "faint fuzzies"

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Adding a filter to a DSLR that has not been converted is ok but you end up with hotspots as the exposure time is much higher.  You also will end up with issues such as motion due to the long exposure.  Used DSLRs can be had for cheap.  Get one and have it converted or by one that is converted if that is what you want to shoot.  I will warn you that most people will shoot IR for a few months, get tired, and give it up.  Its cool at first and then everything starts to look the same.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
So I took my first IR shot.  Did a couple test shots actually, but was having blurring issues, so I set up the tripod and did this quick shot with the timer from under cover as it was raining.  Camera was set to black and white.  Will have to get better at the processing to work with the purple/red I get using color.  I don't have RAW capability, so it's limited.

I realized my lens cap for my tac-light on my AR is actually an IR
filter for NVG use.  Went out and found a used Kodak camera for $10.  Despite it being only 4mp, it has a
10x optical zoom (vs the 3x of my other point and shoots)and some other settings not available with my old Sony
7.2mp point and shoot.  I have another p/s that is 10mp
with pretty much the same controls as the Sony and is water proof, so I ended up
taking the Sony apart instead and pulled the IR blocking filter.  Using some paper rolled around the inside of the light cap, I got it to slip on and stay over the camera lens.  Shouldn't be hard to rig up a lens cap for the Sony with the internal IR blocker so I can still use it for regular pics (it does have ISO control, which the Nikon p/s doesn't)  

Anyway, will make for some different shots for a bit.  Will be nice when the sun comes out again to, or some partially cloudy skies.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top