Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 1:52:39 AM EDT
Just a photo I took this morning with my 4x5 large format camera.  This one was taken about 10 minutes from home, in "The Narrows" area of the Big Thompson Canyon.

The rock walls are full of crystalline structures, so they really shine when the light hits them right.  

I'm starting to get the hang of the large format camera.  It is VERY different than shooting with a digital camera and even much different than other film cameras.  I used front tilt and rise on this shot since I had to shoot upwards and needed to change the perspective to get the rock walls upright again instead of looking like they were "falling away".  This image would be impossible to get to look this way without using a camera that has movements.  The perspective would just be too off.

Anyway.  this was taken with a Zone VI 4x5 large format camera on Fomapan 200 film.  Shot using a Nikkor SW 180mm F5.6 lens through a red 25A filter.  Processed in HC-110 (dilution H) for 9 minutes.

Life on the Edge by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice image.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent op. You've looked at Ansel Adams work it seems. Your light and compositions are iutstanding.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
That is really nice !
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you nailed the perspective and I like the "dark and brooding" look going on in the picture.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you everyone!  I am very happy the way this one turned out.  

I had a go with making a wet print of the photo I shot Sunday.  This is a direct scan from an 8"x10" wet print I made today.  I used a #4 contrast filter and exposed the paper for 55 seconds.  I then burned the sky in for 20 seconds to get definition in the sky.  

Printed on some cheap variable contrast RC paper and developed in Illford Multigrade developer.  I then brewed some strong coffee and stained the print for 20 minutes in the coffee solution to get somewhat of a sepia tone.

I think I got pretty close to the directly scanned negative.  I am EXTREMELY new to wet printing though, so I have a huge amount to learn.

Wet-Print-of-Negative by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top