Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 12:47:32 AM EDT
Was messing around because the lense and adapter came in. Having a few focus issues because of my shitty eyes but measuring the sensor distance helps.

Below are my nicer 2 of the bunch.
Smith & Wesson M&P FS, 9mm
Smith & Wesson 327 night guard, 357

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You have some shallow depth of field going on there!

I will ask the obvious question:  why put a (that?) Nikon lens on the Canon camera?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm special.

I got the adapter so I can use school lenses on my canon (zeiss but nikon mounts.) The nikon 50mm 1.4, well...... Wasn't sure if I wanted to mess with a canon 50mm 1.8 and it was a moment of weakness. Late night ebaying and all that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will ask the obvious question:  why put a (that?) Nikon lens on the Canon camera?
View Quote

Mainly because you can do it with a Canon. I use Pentax, Rollie, Nikon and various M42 Lenses. There were some very good manual focus lenses in the past that can be used today with a good adapter that will give very fine results. Of course you turn your highly automated very capable digital camera into a totally manual one when using these old lenses.
Before these adapters became mainstream these old lenses could be had very cheaply, not so much anymore
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it the old manual one?

Since you have the adapter, what you really need to find is the 105mm f/2.5--a gorgeous piece of glass...  Should be able to find one for about $80 (and get the same or better for it if you get tired of it).

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mainly because you can do it with a Canon. I use Pentax, Rollie, Nikon and various M42 Lenses. There were some very good manual focus lenses in the past that can be used today with a good adapter that will give very fine results. Of course you turn your highly automated very capable digital camera into a totally manual one when using these old lenses.
Before these adapters became mainstream these old lenses could be had very cheaply, not so much anymore
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand, but it still beat spending 300+ on a modern len when a manual one would cost under $150. Not when I'm still a newbie.

Quoted:

Since you have the adapter, what you really need to find is the 105mm f/2.5--a gorgeous piece of glass...  Should be able to find one for about $80 (and get the same or better for it if you get tired of it).

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/13065597553_c253af6e63_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/14689113129_177a41a2b6_b.jpg

Yes sir, link to lens. The 105mm f/2.5 looks nice, reckon it might be my next one. Also going to teach a 18 y/o kid photography, might use the lenses as "teaching aids"

Edit: gorgeous kids
Also, what are the differences between the lenses with white lenses compared to the black/sliver ring ones? Guessing ai vs non-ai? Need schooling on older lenses and types etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The chrome ones (and some early black ones) are pre-AI or non-AI.  The meter pin on the body couples to the aperture ring on that prong.  On the Ai/AiS, a section of the aperture ring at the rear is milled away and there's a tiny lug on it (it also has the prong for backward compatibility).

I don't think the adapter has the moving parts needed to tell the camera where the aperture ring is set, so I would think any of them will mount just fine.

ETA:  this might be helpful as far as choosing...

You can learn a heck of a lot in a hurry when you don't have a light meter.   Sunny 16 rule!

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#7]
thank you sir.

I'm usually in shutter or f/ priority. Have not done too much manual work but glad that the in cam metering likes me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

F/1.4 will do that.  

This is F/2 from a 50mm manual focus pentax.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm special.

I got the adapter so I can use school lenses on my canon (zeiss but nikon mounts.) The nikon 50mm 1.4, well...... Wasn't sure if I wanted to mess with a canon 50mm 1.8 and it was a moment of weakness. Late night ebaying and all that.
View Quote

The Canon 1.8 is the best bang for the buck in canon lenses.
There are a lot of better lenses, but not for $125.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F/1.4 will do that.  

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10443223_10203777555031550_5983578866535863231_o.jpg

Awwwwwwwwww, cute kid.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm special.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5570/14849149647_01ffdb56da_k_d.jpg

Pretty jeep sir, I'm on scj too. More lurking then posting, my tj's stuck in the garage.
The 50mm/1.8 is looking very tempting with auto focus. I'm hoping to nab a deal off the EE or similar.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Awwwwwwwwww, cute kid.

Pretty jeep sir, I'm on scj too. More lurking then posting, my tj's stuck in the garage.
The 50mm/1.8 is looking very tempting with auto focus. I'm hoping to nab a deal off the EE or similar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

F/1.4 will do that.  

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10443223_10203777555031550_5983578866535863231_o.jpg

Awwwwwwwwww, cute kid.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm special.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5570/14849149647_01ffdb56da_k_d.jpg

Close up in low light the auto focus can be iffy.    Especially at 1.8, but I still love it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I like using the Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM on my Sony a6000. My lens was made in the mid 50's. I also have a Canon 50/.14, a Nikon HC 50/2.0 and a Jupiter 8 50/2.0 in LTM and a bunch of Nikon F mount, Canon FD mount and Minolta MD mount SLR lenses I use on the Sony.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice photos. I also like using the classic 105/f2.5 but for APS-C I'm more partial to the 85/f1.8 and am hunting for an 85/f1.4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top