Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2014 1:27:22 PM EDT

Hi all ! I have a pile of old photos that were left in a closet and are now all stuck together.

Anyway of separating them without destroying them ?

Thanks in advance !

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Define old. Are they seriously old, antique studio photos mounted on cardboard or mid-70's Polaroids or just some turn-of-the-century drugstore prints?

Depending on the emulsion, stock, degree of stuckness (?), value of the photos, etc, there will be choices. Back in the darkroom days, I had some luck with soaking stacks in purified water. Eventually they would let go and I could re-dry them in the open or roll them onto a drying plate for glossies.

A lot depends on the paper stock and how stuck they are.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]

They are from 1985 until about 1994. I took them with my Cannon AE-1 and had them developed. The stack was about 6 inches high and I broke it into 4 stacks of verying thickness. I've tried freezing them and soaking them. I also tried steaming them.

I read online-google about soaking them for an extended period of time. It says the images may distort. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk this.

I guess there's no magic ARF solution ?

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I am thinking that this is something that WD-40 is not going to fix.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top