Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2014 2:33:34 AM EDT
So I've been really unable to actively pursue my photography hobby while in school, however since graduating in May it came to my attention that a friend of mine who dabbles in modeling would be interested in portfolio-expanding photos and would be willing to work with me as a neophyte armature. I think this could be a good step towards learning more of the art in the art and science of photography.

I know the basics from a photography class I took about 6 years ago in community college, but I'm rusty to say the least. As far as equipment, I have is my trusty T2i, my old 20D, beat up kit lens, cheap 70-300, and a reflector/diffuser I've never really used. What do y'all think I should do to prepare over the next month or two? I have for the longest time wanted to grow in this hobby and branch out into cinematography, but haven't had the time/means to do so until very recently. Any good books to read; exercises to do on my own, etc?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The first step is to post pictures of your model friend...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first step is to post pictures of your model friend...
View Quote

I might post a thread about that in GD. I've been given a challenge to find them, as they're not in her name, she has no MM page, and deviantart has ducky searching and keywords.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
First get the 85mm F1.8 Canon lens, You'll thank me later
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First get the 85mm F1.8 Canon lens, You'll thank me later
View Quote

Not bad; I've heard 80mm's are great for this sort of thing.

What about lights? I want a continuous setup since I want to use it for motion as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=895598&Q=&O=&gclid=CJvmpsb7jcACFSpp7Aod-BAANg&is=REG&A=details

What do y'all think about this lens? Seems like a good deal and reviews are good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=895598&Q=&O=&gclid=CJvmpsb7jcACFSpp7Aod-BAANg&is=REG&A=details

What do y'all think about this lens? Seems like a good deal and reviews are good.
View Quote

If you have 300 bucks to burn. Rokinon/Samyang has some super lenses on the cheap because there is no electrics in them.
If you plan on cinematography it would be nice to have one of these to work with.
That is a manual focus only lens with no interface with the electronics of the camera.
Everything needs to be done in full manual mode. Not conducive to a model shot
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you have 300 bucks to burn. Rokinon/Samyang has some super lenses on the cheap because there is no electrics in them.
If you plan on cinematography it would be nice to have one of these to work with.
That is a manual focus only lens with no interface with the electronics of the camera.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but... still...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top