Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2014 2:09:50 PM EDT
I've got a great camera (for my purposes, Nikon D7000 and Tamron 17-50 2.8) but lately it seems like the only time I pull it out of the bag is to take pictures of family. I'm not out anymore creating photos or looking for new places to go see. Just feel bored with the whole thing.

Does anyone else go through phases like this? I'm almost thinking about selling my stuff and just getting a cheaper mirrorless and pocketing the extra cash.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I go through cycles where I don't shoot many pictures.

Right now I'm in a similar photo-slump. It's a little annoying because I had been waiting for a while to catch a deal on a 17-55 2.8 lens. I rented one a while back and really enjoyed it. The deal finally came around and I also found a good deal on a d7100.

Took new camera + lens on a trip to the philippines. Hardly used either one. Most pics I took there were with my phone or my dive cam (fuji xp200)

Not really sure how I feel about that.

I haven't used my D7100 for much of anything since I've had it.

Then again, I've also been rather busy at work and haven't had much time to get out and mess with it either.

I'm still serious about photography, and serious about using the really nice, really expensive gear I own.

It just isn't a priority right now. It'll be there waiting when I've got the time for it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It happens. I went into a slump for a few months where I didn't see anything worth taking a picture of. But it wore off and came back full force.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually go through slumps, but I think it's because I get burnt out. I work close to 100 hours a week though.

Don't sell your camera, nothing wrong with just taking photos of family with it. I don't think I could own another Point and shoot camera again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the studio 40-50 hours a week shooting cookware and food commercially. I probably shoot for fun another 20 hours a week. I have rotating personal projects I work on to keep it fresh.

I find that going to museums, seeing movies or at least picking up a decent photo or design mag always gets me motivated when I'm in a slump.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've got a great camera (for my purposes, Nikon D7000 and Tamron 17-50 2.8) but lately it seems like the only time I pull it out of the bag is to take pictures of family. I'm not out anymore creating photos or looking for new places to go see. Just feel bored with the whole thing.

Does anyone else go through phases like this? I'm almost thinking about selling my stuff and just getting a cheaper mirrorless and pocketing the extra cash.
View Quote
Yep, once I get the photo duldrums I switch to video, and usually back when I get bored of that.

My new thing is 4K video converted to timelapses, best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
After working as a pro for 22 years the only thing that inspires me is castles in Europe after a decent amount of good beer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Power through it. Or set it aside for a bit and try, something new. Both methods have worked for me.

Another way to go about re invigorating yourself is to try a new technique or filter... you can re shoot even tired old subjects in new-to-you ways and it can re ignite the fire.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I go through those cycles, like anyone else does, I guess. My inspiration comes in spurts and sometimes it's one image right after the next. Then there's dry spells where I have no inspiration or motivation at all and all the photos I process just don't suit me. I learn to live with it and simply sit back and enjoy the work of others.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Go on a search for something more interesting to shoot maybe.

I currently have Painted Buntings, Road Runners, a Buddist Meditatio, and a Confederate cemetery in my sights that I am eager to get some good pictures of.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]

What keeps me interested is more portrait / people photographers I meet I see a drastic difference in their styles .  

For example, one is all about natural light street photography , one friend does outdoor fashion with a slew of modifiers etc ,  other is mainly high  key fashion

One of the best photographers I know only shoots landscape and architecture ..won't take a pic of a person if his life depended on it

You need to figure out what you find appealing and become good at it....I don't mean good enough for facebook pics , but pics you feel you can bother to print and give to people

Not to criticize people who buy books to learn exposure etc but the reality is you will learn far more buy putting your camera in manual ( including manual iso ...many cameras in "M" still auto ramp iso ) and shoot one scene / item etc and experiment like crazy

The D7000 / 7100 has the ability to have full control of all camera functions ( such as Commander mode for off camera flash etc ) .  You wouldn't believe how many people I know with D7000 / 7100s that just don't know their camera's capability

For example, the D7000 / 7100 U1 and U2 are very handy features

As far as mirrorless, my father went from D300S then Nex 7 ( pretty price for Mirrorless ) . He was very happy with it until he bought a D7100 . The NEX-7 has its place.  

IMO if you are selling your D7000 the mirorless cameras that you would be happy with is approaching the cost of the D7000 .  

IMO you already have a very good wide to std zoom . You should invest in a tele zoom or a good tele prime ( such as 85mm 1.8 or 1.4 )
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm just a hobbyist, so take it for what it's worth.
I go through a lot of phases where I struggle with being able to shoot anything.  I just let the camera sit for a while, then make myself go shoot something - even if it is just playing around with tabletop stuff.  Another thing I have found helpful, is to participate in memes and challenges at a photo forum.  Forces me to get out and shoot, to shoot using only a selected focal length, or to shoot my interpretation of a subject chosen by someone else, etc...
With regards to mirror-less.  Changing gear because you are bored or currently lacking inspiration/ a desire to shoot, may cost more than you think.  If you become re-invigorated, you may wish you had kept the gear you sold and end up re-purchasing when you find the mirror-less isn't meeting your needs.  I'd suggest making sure you want to go mirror-less before making the jump.
As trg42 mentions, some of the mirror-less gear isn't inexpensive and can actually exceed the costs of some of the APC-C based DSLR gear.  I'm currently shifting most of my gear to the Fuji X system, with a mix of Fuji glass and adapted M-mount glass.  It's definitely not inexpensive, if you are looking for performance approaching what you get with most DSLR systems.  I'm not doing the switch due to anything other than increasing
bio-mechanical issues that are making the use of the larger and heavier
gear much more painful.
I'll end up with just my D700 with a 24-85 and 80-400 in the full-size gear column, for when I want the responsiveness and AF performance.  The Fuji kit will be used for everything else, and the M-mount glass brings more "fun" back into the game for me as I prefer manual focus and I find the X-T1 to be so much more easy to use mf glass with than the D700.  If Fuji continues with their improvements in AF performance and starts releasing longer glass, the rest of my DSLR gear might be gone in 3-4 years. It would be less expensive to just upgrade my D700 than to switch, but the new system is more compact and lighter with excellent IQ and adequate performance.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After working as a pro for 22 years the only thing that inspires me is castles in Europe after a decent amount of good beer.
View Quote

Same here.  Been doing architecture for 10yrs and I don't think even castles could get me to lug all my gear out.  I'm going through a slump right now but I think it's mostly having to deal with the business side of things.  They say it gets easier after 10yrs but I'm just about burned out.  I feel like I've aged twice that since starting.  

I used to shoot storms as my main hobby.  I can't even do that now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you guys tried changing things up? If you shoot architecture, try shooting people. If you shoot big skies, try shooting macro.

The creative process isn't quite that simple, naturally. This is why artists/creative types often spend time with other creative types in different fields, like poets and fine artists. It's a symbiotic relationship, looking for mental "filters" to inspire them and see the world through new eyes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Moose Peterson has a little article out on his website, which talks about pushing your photography work outside of your comfort zone. I do that on occasion to keep things interesting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I go through cycles where I don't shoot many pictures.

Right now I'm in a similar photo-slump. It's a little annoying because I had been waiting for a while to catch a deal on a 17-55 2.8 lens. I rented one a while back and really enjoyed it. The deal finally came around and I also found a good deal on a d7100.

Took new camera + lens on a trip to the philippines. Hardly used either one. Most pics I took there were with my phone or my dive cam (fuji xp200)

Not really sure how I feel about that.

I haven't used my D7100 for much of anything since I've had it.

Then again, I've also been rather busy at work and haven't had much time to get out and mess with it either.

I'm still serious about photography, and serious about using the really nice, really expensive gear I own.

It just isn't a priority right now. It'll be there waiting when I've got the time for it.
View Quote

This is exactly where I'm at right now. Down to the camera model and all. Happens every few months. I've found that forcing myself to go out and take some shots helps a little, What really helps me is taking a break, reading a few how-tos, and browsing through images on Flickr. Looking at different images lets me get different ideas and helps me take a better approach to photography. It can also help you get outside your comfort zone, I never thought that I liked shooting portraits but ended up really enjoying it after a few attempts at it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. It's just you - what's wrong with you, man? ;o)

I think probably everyone goes through it at least - once (ha!). Like many others have already said; try the same stuff with a new technique, start shooting outside your 'normal' comfort zone, change lenses LOL (if you normally shoot zooms, put a prime on). I have a few amateur photo friends that have joined some 'groups' - this week they shoot babies - next week is street people, etc. I sometimes open PS and start editing photos.

If you sell your gear you'll probably be sorry. The slump won't last forever, but selling your camera sort of does.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Even when I get bored I still want to practice.  I just take pictures of boring stuff.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top