Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2014 9:13:22 AM EDT
We were watching TED talks last night.  The "Beasts, Bugs, and Bewilderment" series had a speaker talking about plants.  As he went on, he got to a point where he took pictures of flowers using a UV filter to show what some insects probably see(he also mentioned a time delay to get a good UV exposure).  It was amazing that some flowers respond to UV light and some don't.  

Now I want to start exploring with UV light, and have no idea where to start.  What kind of camera, lens, and filter do I need to take UV exposures?

For any that have seen my other posts, I have an Olympus XZ-2 point and shoot that has a ton of manual controls.  We are looking at getting a DSLR.  Originally we were comparing the D7100 to the 70D, and now are thinking that a lighter camera like the D5300 or T5i will be better.  

I know that there are some features in Photoshop Elements 12 that allow a "UV filter" to be applied to a black and white photo.  I seem to remember my sister's D7000 having that feature built in.  I don't know if it's the same as getting a UV exposure or not.

Do any of you have experience with this type of specialized photography?  What do I need to have, know, and do to get these pics?

EDIT TO ADD:
I found this website:  http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_IR_rev07.html#top_page

It has some neat info, but the options are WAY out of my budget.  It gives you an idea of what I am after, so any help in getting these results on a budget will really help.  (It's actually a good tutorial, if you go back to the first page and read through them.)
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Note that silicon-based sensors, such as the CMOS and CCD ones found in cameras, are not very sensitive to UV wavelengths.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Lifepixel.com

I'm actually sending my D200 to them for an IR conversion.  They do UV, IR and full band conversions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top