Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2014 9:27:45 AM EDT

http://imgur.com/gallery/OHtqE

I don't know how it was done, but pretty cool none the less.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Am I the only one too dumb to figure out how to make them tilt?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It is the 'miniaturize' or make it look like a model(toy) effect.

It does make some pics look interesting.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, "Tilt-Shift" just means to force a false perspective on the viewer by blurring the foreground and the background to create the optical illusion you're looking at a tiny model close up.. People started taking pictures of towns from up high, so they looked like the "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" set, or a toy train layout.

http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Tilt-Shift-Photos-allwelikes.com-12.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Yep, "Tilt-Shift" just means to force a false perspective on the viewer by blurring the foreground and the background to create the optical illusion you're looking at a tiny model close up.. People started taking pictures of towns from up high, so they looked like the "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" set, or a toy train layout.

http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Tilt-Shift-Photos-allwelikes.com-12.jpg

That is not what tilt-shift means.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate my tilt on my lens and never use it.  The locking knob always loosens and I end up getting tilt when all I want is shift.  When you're doing really super complex shots, and don't bother to check, it can get highly frustrating lol.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

That's just one very narrow application of the ability to change the focal plane of the lens. Most of the power (for me) comes out in travel and architectural work where you can overcome converging lines.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It's like the universe, only smaller... This can be an overused effect but it looks very cool in some of those pics.

I have a friend on Facebook who kept posting pics using it. Repeatedly, as in every doggone photo. It made no sense, unless she just forgot it was turned on or something.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's like the universe, only smaller... This can be an overused effect but it looks very cool in some of those pics.

I have a friend on Facebook who kept posting pics using it. Repeatedly, as in every doggone photo. It made no sense, unless she just forgot it was turned on or something.
View Quote

Is she using an actual tilt-shift lens, or a lensbaby?

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

And it's been around a lot longer than Mr. Rogers...

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

No
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Hell, large format cameras had it built in.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, let's clear this up. I am generalizing in an attempt to keep it simple.

Those Hubble photos are being given the 'miniaturize' look I mentioned in my reply.

They are NOT Tilt-Shift pictures. Those Hubble pics are labeled incorrectly.

You can use photoshop to miniaturize any photo and to fix the perspective and the like. This is what happened to those pics.

Making a band of focused area with unfocused area everywhere else is what was done to those Hubble pics.

Medium and large format cameras typically have a tilt-shift lens and can, on camera, fix perspective and other planar adjustments. The results are tilt-shift photos. Though they aren't usually labeled as such.

There is a fad to take pics and video and give them the miniaturized look. Much like HDR, if done incorrectly they look like shit.

Everything in moderation.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://enticingthelight.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Dephotivation-Lensbaby.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://enticingthelight.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Dephotivation-Lensbaby.jpg

Try "iPhone effect"
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those Hubble photos are being given the 'miniaturize' look I mentioned in my reply.

You can use photoshop to miniaturize any photo and to fix the perspective and the like. This is what happened to those pics.

Making a band of focused area with unfocused area everywhere else is what was done to those Hubble pics.

Medium and large format cameras typically have a tilt-shift lens and can, on camera, fix perspective and other planar adjustments. The results are tilt-shift photos. Though they aren't usually labeled as such.

There is a fad to take pics and video and give them the miniaturized look. Much like HDR, if done incorrectly they look like shit.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

Bingo. It's neat if done in moderation.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Try "iPhone effect"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try "iPhone effect"

I think I might buy a lensbaby composer when I get home.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

This.  I doubt Hubble has the capability of doing actual tilt shift.  It's easy to fake it in PS.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.  I doubt Hubble has the capability of doing actual tilt shift.  It's easy to fake it in PS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

The mirrors in the wide field planetary cameras have Tilt capabilities.    
It would make sense to incorporate tilt shift functions into the Hubble.    It would allow a larger field of view without re-orienting the vehicle, and also allow for large depths of field in targets not oriented perpendicular to the imaging sensors.
Large format photographers have used this for decades to photograph landscapes with 8x10 and 4x5 cameras.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It would make sense to incorporate tilt shift functions into the Hubble.    It would allow a larger field of view without re-orienting the vehicle, and also allow for large depths of field in targets not oriented perpendicular to the imaging sensors.

Large format photographers have used this for decades to photograph landscapes with 8x10 and 4x5 cameras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

So the tilt capability is incorporated into the cameras, not the primary mirror system?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So the tilt capability is incorporated into the cameras, not the primary mirror system?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Not sure.   What I was reading made it sound like it was a seperate mirror system for the camera.

http://documents.stsci.edu/hst/wfpc2/documents/handbooks/cycle17/wfpc2_ihb.pdf
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

That goes for just about everything. (except sex and booze)
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's the lens that tilts.  In a large format camera, there is no mirror.  Unless you're talking about the Hubble mirrors?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's the lens that tilts.  In a large format camera, there is no mirror.  Unless you're talking about the Hubble mirrors?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was talking about the primary mirror and secondaries as a system, as opposed to the individual camera systems.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was talking about the primary mirror and secondaries as a system, as opposed to the individual camera systems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're asking what I think you're asking, yes.... you can buy lenses that add tilt-shift capacities to a DSLR camera.

Here's a video I found that demonstrates the functionality of such a lens

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top