Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2014 10:30:39 PM EDT
I've decided I'm going to enter this photo into an exhibition/competition

Texas Star by jschneider928, on Flickr

This will actually the first of my photos I print in a larger size (8x12) and I'm having to debate between, glossy, lustre, matte, or metallic.   And I'm stumped as I've only ever ordered small prints from walgreens or the like and I think thy were all glossies.  

Is there any advantage to one over another?
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I am by no means an expert, but I would order glossies from Adorama.

Good Luck !
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I use mpix.com to print out 8x12 for my personal printed 'portfolio'. I go metallic.

But I highly suggest lustre or matte if this is going to be displayed on a wall, etc. It will have less glare and better contrast. The colors won't be as vibrant as metallic (or glossy), but if the printing company you go with is worth anything, it won't matter since the lustre or matte print will still result in good colors.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a similar style of picture printed on glossy at Staples, and I liked the way it turned out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I tend to select according to subject matter. For a landscape i use matte. For portraits matte or luster. For stuff that I want to 'pop' I tend towards metallic. Have you considered printing on metal? Those look very impressive and aren't horribly expensive.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
For my tastes with that print,  I would prefer metallic only if it one of the better processes.  Otherwise, glossy.  Read the entry rules though as sometimes those state restrictions on items like this.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I *personally* prefer luster.

Glossy often looks great but I find the reflections distracting.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used mpix.com  to print out 20 x 30 pictures in the metallic finish, and find the reflections to be minimal.  There is some glare off of the picture, but nothing that I find too distracting.

Be very careful when it comes to entering photo competitions, as it is not uncommon for contest organizers to require the photographer to give up the copyright to the image, or to grant them a perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, etc., your image without compensation.  In other words, they get to use your image all they want, and you don't get paid for it.  Just saying.....
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I use sharp prints:
http://sharpprints.com/index.html

They are very inexpensive and print great photos, especially metallic prints. I use them for printing photos for the State Fair of Texas photo contest and my photos always place very well. They charge a bit for shipping but that's because they are sent in a big flat mailer box. So it's worthwhile to order 20-30 prints at a time.

First time I ordered from them, I ordered a print of glossy, matte and metallic across the board. Hard to say which ones I like more but seems like manmade and night scenes really pop with metallic prints or anything with fine lines like bird feather macro photos and fine details.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I love metallic. It really sets your photos apart. If you can get the correct lighting on it though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love metallic. It really sets your photos apart. If you can get the correct lighting on it though.
View Quote

I think that metallic really works well in certain situations, if you are not careful it can over saturate some photos. Black and white look great with it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For my tastes with that print,  I would prefer metallic only if it one of the better processes.  Otherwise, glossy.  Read the entry rules though as sometimes those state restrictions on items like this.
View Quote

My experience with Metallic is that the colors really pop with night time shots like this.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Glossy when you detail, and matte or lustre when you want to hide finger prints from handling.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I love the super gloss prints from Aspen Creek.  Not cheap, but in my opinion well worth the added cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top