Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 1:03:29 AM EDT
I've had a 24-70 mm lens for a few years now, and obtained some stunning results with it on my D7000. Never thought I had an issue with the lens until I switched to a D800E.

On the D800E, I am really noticing some softening in the corners of the images, and to my eye this is more noticeable in the right side of the image than the other. The center of the images are always pretty much tack sharp, and the corner/edge softness is not really that noticeable until you zoom in at 100% on the images.

I am assuming that this was not noticed on the D7000 because those areas of the frame would have been cropped by the D7000's sensor.

The lens has already been sent back once to Nikon for cleaning and calibration..

My question is this. Is this fairly typical behavior for this lens? If I were to try different copies would I stand a chance of finding one that is sharp from corner to corner or is that something that is really just a golden unicorn when it comes to zooms?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I found my 24-70mm wasn't sharp on my D800.  In hindsight I probably should have gotten it calibrated, I did not know that at the time. I did quite a few tripod test shots but none were nearly as sharp as my 70-200mm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found my 24-70mm wasn't sharp on my D800.  In hindsight I probably should have gotten it calibrated, I did not know that at the time. I did quite a few tripod test shots but none were nearly as sharp as my 70-200mm.
View Quote

That's funny, I got the opposite results on my d600. The 70-200 was soft in the corners while the 24-70 was good all across. I was OK with it since the 24-70 is my landscape lens where as the 70-200 is more subject focused. Luck of the draw I guess.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've had a 24-70 mm lens for a few years now, and obtained some stunning results with it on my D7000. Never thought I had an issue with the lens until I switched to a D800E.

On the D800E, I am really noticing some softening in the corners of the images, and to my eye this is more noticeable in the right side of the image than the other. The center of the images are always pretty much tack sharp, and the corner/edge softness is not really that noticeable until you zoom in at 100% on the images.

I am assuming that this was not noticed on the D7000 because those areas of the frame would have been cropped by the D7000's sensor.

The lens has already been sent back once to Nikon for cleaning and calibration..

My question is this. Is this fairly typical behavior for this lens? If I were to try different copies would I stand a chance of finding one that is sharp from corner to corner or is that something that is really just a golden unicorn when it comes to zooms?
View Quote

Most lenses will be softer in the corners than the center, including the 24-70mm.  Yes, the D7000 sensor crops out all the corners.  Since the D800 is an uber-high res camera, any flaws in the lens will be more easily seen.  That said, one should not judge sharpness of an image at 100% viewing.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Especially if you're shooting at 2.8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top