Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 8:31:31 AM EDT
Ok gents, the wife and I have finally decided to spend the money and replace the DSLR that went for a swim over a year ago. I have it narrowed down to the 3100, 3200 or 5100. Nikon is what I'm sticking with as i have a few lenses for it, nothing super expensive, but I just like nikon anyways.

This will be mostly for taking pics of the daughter as she grows up(her 1 year is next month) and landscape photography, and maybe some macro shots of gun projects. We are headed to the camera shop here in a few, and the budget is NO MORE than $600. preferably less. I have an 18-55 VR Nikkor lens and an 55-200 VR as well, so I really just need the body.. MAYBE a good 30 or 50mm lens.

Or maybe a 5300 Body only? Thats about $650.. but has built in WiFi, which would be pretty sweet. Although not sure what it works for, but if you could dl pics directly via the WiFi that would be SAWEET.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You didn't mention what lenses you have and whether they're AF-S.

My immediate reaction is to recommend the D5300 body, but if you need a lens for indoor shots (say, in the 18-24mm range) or if you need at least one AF-S lens, then go for either the 3200 or 5100 kit. Either one of those will serve you well - especially as you get good glass on them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You didn't mention what lenses you have and whether they're AF-S.

My immediate reaction is to recommend the D5300 body, but if you need a lens for indoor shots (say, in the 18-24mm range) or if you need at least one AF-S lens, then go for either the 3200 or 5100 kit. Either one of those will serve you well - especially as you get good glass on them.
View Quote

Both are AF-S lenses.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The gu is tryin to sell me on a Sony now. Hmmm.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Of the cameras you mention, I would go with the D5300 for the better auto-focus.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Of the cameras you mention, I would go with the D5300 for the better auto-focus.
View Quote

Well ended going with a sony ax58. Got three lenses the camera, photoshop elements, three protective lense covers and a tamrac bag for $860.

What made me decide Sony is the built in stabilization, better low light and the guys overall recommendation.  

Oh comes with a free beginners class for the wife and I as well.

Did I do good?

The lenses I got are : 1.8 50mm, 55-200 & 18-55
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a D5100 that I am giving to the wife and am replacing it with a D610. The 5100 is a great camera, nbut I want to go full chip finally.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, charging the battery now, so in the meantime installing Photoshop elements 12 on the laptop. Anyone use this?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, charging the battery now, so in the meantime installing Photoshop elements 12 on the laptop. Anyone use this?
View Quote

Yes, works well for most photographers. Consider investing in Lightroom, too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well ended going with a sony ax58. Got three lenses the camera, photoshop elements, three protective lense covers and a tamrac bag for $860.

What made me decide Sony is the built in stabilization, better low light and the guys overall recommendation.  

Did I do good?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I do good?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7526513643/consumer-slr-camera-roundup-2013
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

What this guy says.  The D5x00 line all contain the multi-cam 4800DX focus sensor which is far, far better than what's in the D3x00 series.  It the same sensor that is in the D7000.

The D5300 has the new Expeed 4 processor as well which neither the D5200 or D5100 has.  It's a hell of a lot of bang for the buck, that D5300 is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What this guy says.  The D5x00 line all contain the multi-cam 4800DX focus sensor which is far, far better than what's in the D3x00 series.  It the same sensor that is in the D7000.

The D5300 has the new Expeed 4 processor as well which neither the D5200 or D5100 has.  It's a hell of a lot of bang for the buck, that D5300 is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I was on my way to the checkout with the d5300 when the guy showed me the Sony, and some of the shots he had taken with this camera. A part of me is still hesitant to like the new sony, as I have always been a Nikon guy, but, I'll let it play out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, I was on my way to the checkout with the d5300 when the guy showed me the Sony, and some of the shots he had taken with this camera. A part of me is still hesitant to like the new sony, as I have always been a Nikon guy, but, I'll let it play out.
View Quote

Sony's no slouch in digital photography. They make the sensors used in many popular cameras (including some Nikon lines) and they bought Minolta to form the Sony Alpha line. The only significant negative in my opinion is the lens and accessory ecosystem has fewer options and higher prices than the Nikon family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top