Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2014 4:17:34 PM EDT
So the wife and I are taking a delayed honeymoon in May, she was on-call 24/7 and I didnt have the time in, so we had to put it off until we could take two weeks and do it right.

So we are going to a cottage on the ocean in Maine.  We want something that will take solid pics of the sunrises and sets.  Also we are going to be traveling through the Acadia and doing a lot of marine life watching.  Based on what I have read and what she has talked to co-workers about we like the 5100.

Any suggestions? Lenes? I dont think it comes with a camera bag, so what kind of bag should we go for?

I turn my photography phate over to you Photo Phorum.

Be gentle, its my first time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The Nikon D5100 will certainly get the job done.  However, photography is more about the photographer not the equipment.

Start with the kit lenses.  They are more than capable of handling what you want to photograph.  That said, my recommendation would be the combo of 16-85mm and 70-300mm VR; but these are not kit lenses and will cost extra.  After you get a handle on what, when, and how you like to shoot things, then you can start investing in specialized lenses.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
PHULLAUTOPHAN: At Costco the kits lenses are 18-55 & 55-300mm. These lenses will probably cover 99.99% of all your lens needs.

I like the 18-55mm because it is really light, and you can use the built-in flash if you need extra light. The Nikon built-in flashes are quite powerful. But take about 5-10 secs or so for the flash to recharge.

I would also invest in a tripod. I have current a $60 Wall-Mart that is more than adequate for my needs.

I would also get a book outside of the manual that the manufacture gives you because many camera manuals in my opinion are not writter very clearly for a person who is not familiar with cameras.

I would also get the camera way before your trip, because it takes a bit of practice to utilize some of the features.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd look at the D5200 kit at Costco.  I have a 5100, and bought my wife the Costco 5200 bundle for Christmas.  The 5200 has markedly better resolution, and the wifi transmitter is really cool for certain uses.  The bag it comes with is ok, though I bought her a lowepro bag that is nicer.  A good tripod that is compact enough to travel with is a must have IMO. I really like the two kit lenses, and the only other lens I've bought for mine is a decent nikkor prime lens.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Like the poster above, I would get the D5200 if your budget can swing it.  It's a jump up from the 5100. The sensor is much better and not just the megapixels. It has better dynamic range, and much better ISO performance.

If you like smaller size cameras, don't rule out the mirror-less cameras.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Nikon D5100 will certainly get the job done.  However, photography is more about the photographer not the equipment.
View Quote

Yeah, OP, see if this sounds familiar:
The best camera is the one you have with you.  

The 5100 is a good camera. You didn't mention budget, but since you're asking about the 5100 vice the 5300, I'm guessing it won't support the more expensive glass. Regardless, I agree with the suggestion to start with the kit lenses for your first foray into the DSLR world. Another option is renting lenses like the 70-200 VR II and a good tripod for those sunrises/sets and wildlife scenes. That would give you the opportunity to see whether the purchase is worth it for your situation.

Please do make room for a tripod on your trip. You will be far more successful with your sunrises using a tripod.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd look at the D5200 kit at Costco.  I have a 5100, and bought my wife the Costco 5200 bundle for Christmas.  The 5200 has markedly better resolution, and the wifi transmitter is really cool for certain uses.  The bag it comes with is ok, though I bought her a lowepro bag that is nicer.  A good tripod that is compact enough to travel with is a must have IMO. I really like the two kit lenses, and the only other lens I've bought for mine is a decent nikkor prime lens.
View Quote
Correction - I believe the D5300 has the wfi feature. I have a D5200, and it doesn't have it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Correction - I believe the D5300 has the wfi feature. I have a D5200, and it doesn't have it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 5200 bundle from costco includes a wifi adapter, the 5300 presumably has it built in.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 5200 bundle from costco includes a wifi adapter, the 5300 presumably has it built in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my refurb'd D5200  from B&H.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to get the 5200 bur went with the 3200 i does everything I need and doesnt cost a arm and a leg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top