Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 4:11:52 AM EDT
I am headed to Augusta for the Wednesday practice round. I have been to ANGC many times, but this will be the first time since I got bit by the photography bug.

On practice round days you can take a camera. I am planning on taking my 70D, but you cannot take a camera bag. So, I need to settle on one lens.

The choices....
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Canon kit lens 18-55 3.5-5.6
Canon 55-250 4-5.6 STM

I am leaving out the 50 1.8 and my 70-200 2.8 (no IS).

I am leaning towards the Tamron, but I am concerned that I may be missing too much on either end of the zoom spectrum. The 2.8 would be desirable.

Opinions or ideas?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#1]
What types of images are most desirable to you?  What will your working distance be?  

If you're looking for blown out backgrounds and tight stop action player shots or shots from a reasonable working distance I'd reconsider the 70-200.  I don't see IS being an issue if you are shooting wide open under daytime light and you could always use a club to steady if need be.  The 55-250 does give you a little more versatility in focal length but it's really not much and at the expense of a lot of speed and background blur you'll gain with the 70-200.

If I were able to carry a lens pouch, water bottle pouch, or fanny pack etc. I'd toss the 28-75 in as my second lens.  A 70-200 will give you a lot of options as long as you don't mind doing your part and moving around to get the distances/cropping/perspective you want.  It will be a bit tougher for shooting groups of four, etc. but if you don't mind backing up a bit it will work and give you a nice tight perspective as well for all those group pics for your wall.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]
As mentioned I'd reconsider the 70-200. You say you can't bring a camera bag, how about a vest?  With a vest I can carry nearly the contents of my whole bag so tossing in an extra lens would be nothing. Unless you expect to be really close to these guys the 70mm should be fine for solo shots.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Without knowing how close you can get to the players, this is vote #3 for the 70-200mm.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
70-200mm is a no brainer. A nifty fifty takes up zero space, you should bring it too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

70-200mm is a no brainer. A nifty fifty takes up zero space, you should bring it too.
View Quote

This was exactly my thought.  70-200 and a 50/1.8.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Without knowing how close you can get to the players, this is vote #3 for the 70-200mm.

View Quote

Yep.  And post pics when you get back.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going to take the 70-200 2.8, but I was told by someone at ANGC today that it will probably be too big. They have a measuring box for lenses and bags that you have to be able to fit them into. Being that I park about 100 yards from the gate, I will try to take it in and if it is too big, I will go back and get the 55-250 STM. It is much smaller. My tactical sling bag that I use for a small camera bag should be good to go.

So, at a minimum, I will have the 55-250, the 28-75, and the nifty fifty.

Yes, I will post pictures. They used to be a customer, so I have been all over the course, a bunch of times. I really don't need to walk around in wonder, this time. I just want to try and capture some of the scenery.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#8]
It turns out that the neighbor boys just got a Rebel T3 and only have one small lens. They jumped all over the chance at toting some other lenses with us, all day. We really only used the 70-200 and the 28-75, but we shot over 700 pics between us. Here are a few. The shot of all 4 of us was taken by someone else and they weren't very good at it.

Also, they made the allowable bag dimensions a little bigger. I was able to take my tactical sling bag that I have converted to a camera bag. We carried 4 lenses, but only used two.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Am I missing something, I see no pics...

Beat by a few seconds... :)
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Am I missing something, I see no pics...  

Beat by a few seconds... :)
View Quote

I tried to upload them from Dropbox and they were HUGE. I had to move them to Photobucket. Much smaller now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top