Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2011 2:03:49 PM EDT
Was able to capture this shot by me standing quietly with the camera almost at the ready for about 20 minutes until mamma swallow got used to me being there.

Taken last week (17-23 of July 2011)

Feeding Time

any critique is welcome.

enjoy,
Dave
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears fuzzy and slightly unfocused.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Was able to capture this shot by me standing quietly with the camera almost at the ready for about 20 minutes until mamma swallow got used to me being there.

Taken last week (17-23 of July 2011)

Feeding Time
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/lizardman_u/Wildlife/FeedingTime.jpg

any critique is welcome.

enjoy,
Dave

Dave,
I commend you on  time you spent waiting to get this shot.

I'm not sure of the type of gear you used and what sets you had but you focus is way off and there seems to be nothing thats sharp.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd lock the focus before shooting and make sure you shoot higher than 1/125 to capture action. Generally you want your shutter speed to be at least your focal length. You were shooting at 160mm and 1/125 so you will have blur. This is because as you zoom in more the field of view (not sure if it's the correct term) narrows so a small shake has a larger impact at say 160mm than 17mm. I'd also bump the ISO next time to make sure you get a clean, crisp image without motion blur.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
The focus was probably fine, it's the camera shake motion blur that ruins it.

Shutter should be equal to or faster than focal length in most hand-held circumstances.

Raise ISO if necessary to accomplish this.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
In this case, there is definitely motion blur of the camera.  FocusMagic's "fix motion blur @ 63 degrees for 4 pixels" gives the following result.

In addition, there is the possibility that you were inside the lens' minimum focus distance.  If that is the case, nothing would be in focus to start with.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Dang JosephK, that made all the difference in the world.  I've got to look into that program, it's fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for the feedback.  I was teetering on the edge of the minimum focusing distance of the lens to get this as there would have been a 2 x 6 in the way if I were back further.  

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top